FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Second meal in transcon F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1838929-second-meal-transcon-f.html)

zpaul Apr 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Second meal in transcon F?

I have a feeling that there are probably a few different threads this could fall into, but I couldn't find them...

I'm on AA 33 Friday in F JFK-LAX. Obviously a breakfast flight (leaving at 7:00am), but other than the snacks that are put out, is there a second actual meal service? I know that there isn't in J on that route (just a cookie prior to landing), but thought I'd ask.

Of course, the QF lounge will be beckoning upon arrival at LAX so I suppose it isn't such a big deal... ;)

MrAndy1369 Apr 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Sadly, no second meal on any domestic flight, even on FLAAgship F between JFK and SFO/LAX.

zpaul Apr 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 28229439)
Sadly, no second meal on any domestic flight, even on FLAAgship F between JFK and SFO/LAX.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Just makes the QF menu all the more appetizing!

ryan182 Apr 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul (Post 28229446)
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Just makes the QF menu all the more appetizing!

honestly even if there was a second meal you'd be far better off skipping it and going to QF F lounge anyways

ESpen36 Apr 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 28229439)

Actually, the Hawaii mid-con flights (to/from DFW) have a follow-on service. Westbound it is a snack plate. Eastbound it is a continental breakfast.

Djokison Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 28229660)
Actually, the Hawaii mid-con flights (to/from DFW) have a follow-on service. Westbound it is a snack plate. Eastbound it is a continental breakfast.

In no way, shape or form is DFW-Hawaii a "mid-con". It's not even within a single continent. It's an intercontinental flight. With that being said, you're right that those are domestic flights with 2 meals.

ESpen36 Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison (Post 28229677)
In no way, shape or form is DFW-Hawaii a "mid-con". It's not even within a single continent. It's an intercontinental flight. With that being said, you're right that those are domestic flights with 2 meals.

Sorry, I should clarify that I meant by "mid-con" that the flights are from mid-continental USA to Hawaii. (as opposed to AA's other Hawaii flights that are from the West Coast or PHX)

In the old days, "Hawaii midcon" meant Hawaii widebody flights to/from DFW or ORD.....nowadays only DFW has these flights.

flyerCO Apr 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 28229699)
Sorry, I should clarify that I meant by "mid-con" that the flights are from mid-continental USA to Hawaii. (as opposed to AA's other Hawaii flights that are from the West Coast or PHX)

In the old days, "Hawaii midcon" meant Hawaii widebody flights to/from DFW or ORD.....nowadays only DFW has these flights.

The "old days"? Is this when passengers had to help manually start the engines and you flew exposed to the elements in an open cab? :p

JIMBOLIGUY Apr 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Having flown JFK-SFO-JFK in F this week, I am not sure I could eat a second meal. Grab a snack in the F lounge, have breakfast, a snack (like fruit) and a cookie and I know I was full for a while (and I am not a small guy). Just saying...

muishkin Apr 25, 2017 10:11 pm

I have taken AA 9 (JFK-SFO at 7 am) three times in the last month or so (each time in F). I remember that I was asleep most of the time on those flights. The one breakfast that I had was very tasty. I think I posted a picture of it in the Domestic meals thread. Yes there is one meal service on these flights, but I agree with others that a second meal is not really needed as you can fill up on other items like the bottles of Bollinger that no one else is drinking. :D

zpaul Apr 26, 2017 7:08 am

Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 28230336)
...you can fill up on other items like the bottles of Bollinger that no one else is drinking. :D

A traveler after my own heart...er, liver! ^

AANYC1981 Apr 26, 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY (Post 28230097)
Having flown JFK-SFO-JFK in F this week, I am not sure I could eat a second meal. Grab a snack in the F lounge, have breakfast, a snack (like fruit) and a cookie and I know I was full for a while (and I am not a small guy). Just saying...

Seriously....how much food does one need?

rjw242 Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28231834)

I've seen people complain here about not getting a full hot meal on a 1-hour hop, or on a midcon red-eye departing after midnight. But I suspect most of us neither need nor want to pay for such a thing, at least in the US.

zpaul Apr 26, 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 28231834)

It's not about eating as much as possible, it's about planning.

I don't usually eat much in the morning, and have a large-ish early lunch, and a small dinner; given the info here I'll actually eat the full breakfast either in the FL or on board. If I did my usual routine and only had the yogurt and maybe something else small off of the tray instead of the full breakfast I'd be starving after 6.5 hours.

LovePrunes Apr 26, 2017 9:34 am

I mean how many calories do you need in 6 hours?