Multiple Bookings - Similar Times

Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Multiple Bookings - Similar Times

Hi there - I searched and could not find a clear answer on this.

I have a 2-leg flight booked (AUS-ORD-DTW) with a day stopover in ORD.

It turns out I am not going to need the ORD-DTW leg now. However, if I change this flight online (AUS-ORD-AUS), it runs $750 including the change fee. If I book a simple one way ORD-AUS, it's $450-ish, however the flight would be around the same time as the original ORD-DTW flight (within 30 minutes of each other).

Will the AA system flag this and possibly cancel the new ORD-AUS one way? Can I tell them I'm not going to fly the ORD-DTW leg and have them cancel it? (Didn't see a way to do this online and normally when I do something like this they want to reprice everything at the current rates).

Thanks for the advice and hello again FT after about a year away...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

System should cancel, yes. Some suggest that booking the 2nd reservation w/o your AAdv # can help prevent that, but have no personal experience with that.

It's circumventing rules no matter how you go about it, albeit w/ very low risk (aside from reservation getting canceled, obviously,) as it were.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Can you fly another airline for the new ORD-AUS leg? That's what I would do.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by ehallison
Can you fly another airline for the new ORD-AUS leg? That's what I would do.
+1 book UA for ORD-AUS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.