Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I have had many interactions with the crew seen in the video... but I'm not surprised this happen at SFO, The AA crew based out of SFO has to be the worst, lazy and rude. I've had much had better professional service when the crew is NYC or LAX base.
The A/C has no closets forward so I'm assuming its a LUS a/c, likely a 321. LUS are now flying multiple former LAA routes. The crew I assume might be either PHX or CLT based.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Don't you read what people have posted or any of the articles linked?

Supposedly the stroller folds up into a legal size bag that can be put in the overhead bin. Supposedly she showed it to a different FA/GA and that FA/GA said it was ok for her to do so unless the bin space is full then she would have to gate check it.
I don't necessarily believe those people because she had twins. So, yes I need to see a picture of the foldable double stroller.

I see an out of control crew, ga and passengers in the videos but no stroller as described.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TGarza
I don't necessarily believe those people because she had twins. So, yes I need to see a picture of the foldable double stroller.
That's a better way to say it. The way you posted before, you disregarded it all completely.

<Added>

Also, we don't know if it was a double stroller. No one has stated it is a double stroller, that is your guess. You can carry one baby while having the other in the stroller. I've done it many times.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Apr 22, 2017 at 10:44 am Reason: added double stroller info
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by blueman2
One of the most interesting points made here! So, the man who stood up to the FA was required, by law, to hit the FA because he was instructed to do so. This shows the fallacy of "you have to always comply with crew instructions".
The "you must obey" crowd will not be swayed by logic or by the lack of anything in the conditions of carriage, law or regulation. They'll just keep posting the same thing.

For that matter, look how many posts there are about "everyone knows strollers don't fit", ignoring earlier posts showing strollers that do fit. The reddit post quoted above, if true, includes that the stroller in question fit and that a prior GA authorized bringing it onboard (see https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comm...ently/dglqjco/).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: A few here and there
Originally Posted by blueman2
One of the most interesting points made here! So, the man who stood up to the FA was required, by law, to hit the FA because he was instructed to do so. This shows the fallacy of "you have to always comply with crew instructions".
This genuinely makes me curious. If an F/A or other flight crew commanded you to do something that would put you, them or the other passengers in harm's way, do you have to comply?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'm amazed that anyone here is attacking the passenger (the mother) here. So she brings a stroller on the plane. Now there are conflicting reports on whether she was told she could...but in the end, that doesn't matter.

What should have happened is a reasoned discussion, just telling the woman she couldn't keep the stroller, but we'll assist you in getting settled with your kids and then we'll get the stroller so it comes back to you at the door to the plane in Dallas. (Local reports in DC say the woman was from South America, perhaps find someone that speaks Spanish if a language barrier -
we don't know if there was.) What did happen according to every passenger who has been interviewed, is the male FA ripped the stroller from the mom, hitting her and barely missing hitting the infant. Presumably, given his attitude, he was also rude to the mother.

Like I said, I don't know how anyone can blame this on the mother. So, because she brought a stroller on the plane the airline has the right to treat her rudely and physically and verbally assault her? Obviously, the situation was bad enough that multiple passengers stood up for her. What should she say, "I'm so sorry I tried to bring my stroller on the plane. Thank you for hitting me and nearly hitting my infant. I've learned the error of my ways?"

And, the first class pax that stood up for her, I'm glad he did so. He didn't directly threaten the crew. He stated that if the FA tried that with him, he'd flatten him. He also tried to get the FAs name, did you notice that no one gave it to him, and the FA in question had removed his nametag? Seems to me, crew knew the FA was in the wrong and were trying to circle the airline industry's version of the "Thin Blue Line." It's the FA that escalated by charging the PAX and challenging him to a fight. Obviously, multiple passengers were troubled that the mother was physically assaulted and the infant nearly so.

This flight attendant has no business being in a customer facing position. I mean seriously, trying to fight a customer?

I'm glad that passengers are no longer "sitting there and taking it." Do we have to follow crewmember instructions? Yes, but not unconditionally. How many times have all of you encountered crews that make up rules to suit them, or treat pax in a completely unacceptable manner? I'm glad passengers are realizing they do have power in these situations.

AA did the right thing. Apologize unconditionally, show they are taking the situation seriously by taking care of the passenger and suspending the flight attendant. Because of AA's reaction I imagine this will die off the news very quickly in comparison to UA's Dr. Dao incident.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Its actually a crime in CA..to challenge some one to fight in public.
And if the invitee rises to the occasion and the challenger suffers any damage, he is his own insurer. There is also a defence known as provocation.

Are the FAs there to maintain order? Or to disrupt it? How extraordinary!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:48 am

OK. Here is my 2 cents:

1. Mom is overloaded with a way too large back pack. She needs to understand that now she has a child she can no longer be a "foot loose free spirit"!

2. Mom began crying INSTANTLY--the mother is a spoiled rotten child in and of her own Self!

3. She looks like she immediately began "protesting" exactly like a spoiled child does--she is looking around for some place to put the stroller so "it will be ok". Rather than having a conversation with the employee to reach a negotiated resolution.

IMHO--mom and baby should have been put off the airplane to re-consider growing up!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
That's a better way to say it. The way you posted before, you disregarded it all completely.

<Added>

Also, we don't know if it was a double stroller. No one has stated it is a double stroller, that is your guess. You can carry one baby while having the other in the stroller. I've done it many times.

Most strollers designed for overhead bins are too large for AA dimensions. No one has posted a video or mentioned a model so it is all speculation the stroller was designed to fit in the overhead bin.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by alpenrose
OK. Here is my 2 cents:

1. Mom is overloaded with a way too large back pack. She needs to understand that now she has a child she can no longer be a "foot loose free spirit"!

2. Mom began crying INSTANTLY--the mother is a spoiled rotten child in and of her own Self!

3. She looks like she immediately began "protesting" exactly like a spoiled child does--she is looking around for some place to put the stroller so "it will be ok". Rather than having a conversation with the employee to reach a negotiated resolution.

IMHO--mom and baby should have been put off the airplane to re-consider growing up!
From the videos, it appears she had twins or two children about the same size dressed similarly. Your points were my initial thoughts as well.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by dcstudent
but we'll assist you in getting settled with your kids and then we'll get the stroller so it comes back to you at the door to the plane in Dallas
Unfortunately way beyond the SOW of American airlines (AA,UA,DL etc) these days. There is no more customer service anymore.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Its actually a crime in CA..to challenge some one to fight in public.
Indeed it is. You might have a case here where the male flight attendant and male passenger could have arrested each other for threatening to fight and had the whole thing end up in court to be resolved.

415(1) PC:

Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of not more than four hundred dollars ($400), or both such imprisonment and fine:

(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or challenges another person in a public place to fight.
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...sectionNum=415.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Could have been a single seater - if she carried one child. Carrying two would be a lot more difficult, presumably.

In any case, the other posts show that passengers say it folded into a briefcase size.
Looks like it will easily fit. Now whether or not she had this type of stroller to begin with is another question.

http://gbchildusa.com/products/pocki...tate=pg:2/ct:r
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by TGarza
Most strollers designed for overhead bins are too large for AA dimensions. No one has posted a video or mentioned a model so it is all speculation the stroller was designed to fit in the overhead bin.
An onboard witness has written the stroller was in fact able to be successfully stowed in the overhead by an FA.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:57 am

One needs to consider the volume of diapers and food needed for two small children on a multi-leg international trip.

Unless you've seen a video I haven't, we don't know how long it took her to cry after the incident. It does seem likely that a flight attendant hit her. That justifies crying in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.