Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does it meet the specified limit for a carry on? there is nothing in the post to suggest it was a permitted size for a carry on. Fitting in an overhead , does not mean necessarily that it complies with the specified limits
A stroller definitely exceeds the length of a carry on allowance. Most strollers are 40" long.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Klimo
nice assumption.

They make strollers designed for overhead compartments. Can't comment if she had one or not.
Really, I'd like to see a stroller than is less 20" in height or less.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Martina70
A stroller definitely exceeds the length of a carry on allowance. Most strollers are 40" long.
They make strollers specifically designed to fit in an overhead compartment. I own one

it is not said if the stroller fits or not
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Perhaps a bit more than grabbing the stroller

We don't see how it all started, however.

http://jalopnik.com/american-airline...str-1794552514
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:44 pm
Suspended

It sounds like the mother already had some anxiety issues before she stepped on the plane. In all the times I have traveled with my small children, I was told that our umbrella strollers could be gate checked. I would never delude myself into thinking that being able to take up the jet way would mean I could carry it on the aircraft. Where on earth would someone think it would be stored? The captains closet?
It's not whether the mother was right or wrong - it was how the situation was handled.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:46 pm

Really, I'd like to see a stroller than is less 20" in height or less.
really, they exist. You don't have kids do you?

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-tour/
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Check out "umbrella strollers", an entire class of strollers meant to fit in overhead bins and other small spaces. There are threads on FT about them.

In the past, airlines such as United even recommended their usage as a carry-on compatible item.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Could've been this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm...ok_a_stroller/

No video evidence of the supposedly 'violet' grab, though.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:51 pm

really, they exist. You don't have kids do you?

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-tour/
I have two.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by NWstu

Just some excerpts to fill in details:

The video’s poster, named Surain Adyanthaya on the Facebook account, claims the woman was hit by the male employee as he took away her stroller.
The male passenger gets out of his seat and approaches the employee, and the employee then challenges the passenger to “Try it. Hit me. You don’t know what the story is.” The passenger replies, “you almost hurt a baby!”
Also, AA statement to jalopnik:

We have seen the video and have already started an investigation to obtain the facts. What we see on this video does not reflect our values or how we care for our customers. We are deeply sorry for the pain we have caused this passenger and her family and to any other customers affected by the incident. We are making sure all of her family’s needs are being met while she is in our care. After electing to take another flight, we are taking special care of her and her family and upgrading them to first class for the remainder of their international trip.

The actions of our team member captured here do not appear to reflect patience or empathy, two values necessary for customer care. In short, we are disappointed by these actions. The American team member has been removed from duty while we immediately investigate this incident.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Check out "umbrella strollers", an entire class of strollers meant to fit in overhead bins and other small spaces. There are threads on FT about them.

In the past, airlines such as United even recommended their usage as a carry-on compatible item.

Thanks, I will do that. But my kids are past the point of umbrella strollers now.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:58 pm

I have two.
then maybe don't assume the mom was previously anxious and insulating that's the cause of the incident along with knowing for a fact that her carry on must be not in compliance
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWstu

Looks like the male gate agent had a very bad attitude. The other FAs and pilot seemed to be handling the situation well and trying to keep things calm, but the employee in the blue shirt looks like he's on a power trip.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:06 pm

then maybe don't assume the mom was previously anxious and insulating that's the cause of the incident along with knowing for a fact that her carry on must be not in compliance
Well, clearly there was some sort of kerfuffle over a stroller which resulted in either the crew member 'grabbing' or taking in from her after some back and forth. It seems like a silly thing to get worked up over, it would be gate checked and not left behind, which is the basis of my assumption, she was probably already stressed out before she got on board.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Well, clearly there was some sort of kerfuffle over a stroller which resulted in either the crew member 'grabbing' or taking in from her after some back and forth. It seems like a silly thing to get worked up over, it would be gate checked and not left behind, which is the basis of my assumption, she was probably already stressed out before she got on board.
The agent in the blue who took the stroller away looks like he needs a better bedside manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.