Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Whose IRROPS policy applies when dealing with AA/BA codeshare flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

This question came up in a different post and I was hoping to get some clarity.

Does AA IRROPS procedure only apply to AA operated flights and BA IRROPS on BA operated flights? I thought the airline whose ticket stock the whole PNR was issued on would be the one whose guidelines are supposed to govern the whole itinerary.

Say your trip is comprised of AA/BA codeshare flights is it the airline whose name appears on the flight number or the one whose metal the flight is on that is responsible in case of IROOPS? Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by maa3
This question came up in a different post and I was hoping to get some clarity.

Does AA IRROPS procedure only apply to AA operated flights and BA IRROPS on BA operated flights? I thought the airline whose ticket stock the whole PNR was issued on would be the one whose guidelines are supposed to govern the whole itinerary.

Say your trip is comprised of AA/BA codeshare flights is it the airline whose name appears on the flight number or the one whose metal the flight is on that is responsible in case of IROOPS? Thanks!
oneworld policy generally says the operator of the flight causing the delay is responsible. They probably will have to call AA to fix/reticket, though.

And my guess that if you call AA, they'll help you fix the ticket, if they can see the IRROPS in the system. If not then... you're probably better off begging BA.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:39 pm

All depends who you get that day and how they chose to interpret the rules. That's my experience.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you no2chem.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Don't know if this helps:
HEL-LHR (Finair number and Finair metal)
LHR-YYZ (Finair number and BA metal)

HEL-LHR delayed and missed LHR-YYZ connection. BA says they can't help me, must talk to Finair for any changes I want to the IRROPS.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Don't know if this helps:

HEL-LHR delayed and missed LHR-YYZ connection. BA says they can't help me, must talk to Finair for any changes I want to the IRROPS.
Usually day of, IRROPS handling is by the airline that has it. In this case, Finnair should be the one helping you out since they are the ones that caused you to be late.

To OP:

I've always thought from what I've read on here is that prior to the day of actually flying, any problems are resolved by the ticketing company. Any issues that occur the day of are by the airline that "caused" whatever happened. I put quotes since things like weather/atc problems aren't actually the airlines control. But whatever flight is the first flight to cause issues, that's the carrier that should be helping you out.

Edit: OP has also posted the exact same question in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...itinerary.html.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Beyond OW rules, IATA rules state that the operating carrier is always responsible for irrops. Could be Silver Airways connecting at MCO to DXB and it's their responsibility.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I'd assume you had to transfer from LHR T3 to T5 connection.
BA at the Flight Connection Centre in T5 has refused you to book you onto the next available BA flight?
That's pretty strict, as there is lots of interlining between AY and BA at LHR.

Technically, AY has to rebook you for free. It doesn't matter what caused the delay.
However, the contract agent for AY probably will only sit at T3 landside, it's a heavy ordeal for a passenger to get from the T5 Flight Connection Centre to T3 landside.

I thought the airline whose ticket stock the whole PNR was issued on would be the one whose guidelines are supposed to govern the whole itinerary.
For IRROPS its usually the airline metal, who experienced the IRROP, that is on the hook.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: ba silver
Aren't BA and AA joint venture partners? I thought either airline could help you in these situations. If so I would try AA as their US-based agents tend to be very helpful. I went through this with an IB issued ticket when a schedule change between MAD and ORY didn't work for me. Got nowhere with IB, called AA and got rebooked on their own aircraft directly from JFK-CDG. Same for Delta this year: was flying JNB-AMS-YUL on an AF issued ticket. Bad weather in AMS, called Delta in the US and got rebooked on DL via ATL in about five minutes. Like other posters have said, it depends who you get but I find US based agents are the best.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:47 am
HGH

This happened to us last spring:

CTL->LHR AA ticket and metal (delayed four hours)
LHR->CPH AA ticket on BA metal

AA automatically rescheduled the BA LHR->CPH before we left Charlotte. We were going to miss that one, too, so BA put us on a later flight. We did this at the transfer desk in T5 just before security. BA gave us the choice to run and try to make the original rescheduled flight or take the sure thing two hours later.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, National Executive Elite, Hotels.com Gold
I think it all depends on how good of an agent you get...

A couple weeks ago I flew DOH-LHR (QR CODE/QR METAL) and LHR-LAX (QR CODE/AA METAL) on a QR (157-) stock ticket.

DOH-LHR was approx 45 minutes late which caused a misconnect at LHR (By about 5 minutes...The T4 to T3 transfer stinks...). AA gate agents reticketed me LHR-JFK-LAX (no more direct flights that day) with no issue. New ticket had AA (001-) ticket stock.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nevansm
Beyond OW rules, IATA rules state that the operating carrier is always responsible for irrops.
People who don't understand this convention between ~250 airlines worldwide waste their time - the HUACA crowd pestering the wrong carrier.

Further, there's an IATA convention on baggage tracking and compensation, too: the carrier of the passenger (not necessarily the bag) on the final segment to destination is responsible.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The operating carrier is responsible for rebooking. However, with codeshares, there's an argument that the marketing carrier's policies in the CoC should apply as they were part of the contract under which the ticket was purchased. I'm thinking of a case where, for example, the marketing carrier says that a hotel will be provided but the operating carrier doesn't follow this policy. There could also be differences involving involuntary downgrades versus being rebooked onto another carrier with premium cabin space or waiting for premium cabin space on the operating carrier or its partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.