Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by hoopsgroup
AA says they will refund - but we are looking for compensation for lost time and business (and FUTURE business).
How much are you looking to claim for lost business + lost future business?
Compare that to the cost of a visa. Was it worth not getting a visa for your son?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably this is one of the myriad reasons why AA never gets any traction on its routes to China - the check in agents dont even know how to read TIMATIC when every other Asian and ME3 airlines know how to read it and figure out all the waivers and exceptions.

Besides, PEK will soon have 144 TWOV also.

I would definitely write to AA to complain on this.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:58 pm

Jay is there any way you can provide screenshots of the wording you used to AA online or to the Twitter team? We are in the EXACT same boat - just happened yesterday - and I would love a shortcut to a resolution
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:01 pm

He was denied a visa due to too many stamps in his passport - figure that one out. We were then advised to get a second "clean" passport - a new passport with no stamps - which we did. He was to fly to Shanghai and stay less than the 144 hours. We purchased a second ticket (through AA, so they could have records of both flights under his name) so he could leave the country and come back for less than 144 hours on the back end. According to the law and the local Dallas passport and visa expedite company experts, this should have worked perfectly.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
GAs are likely to stop reading once they have grounds to deny. The TWOA conditions are AFTER the rules that require a visa. Getting them to look further is a challenge. I was in ORD, I had a printout from the Chinese Consulate, they even called the AA travel czar in Dallas. They all decided a visa was required for a two day stay over. Dallas must have got confused and called back saying they would let me board IF I agreed to pay for the return ticket and any fines imposed if entry was denied. Talk about a pensive flight! Got to PVG and not even a second look.

ALWAYS plan extra time at the airport to get such issues resolved.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA Conditions of Carraige, a contract of adhesion that applies when one buys tickets. It's pretty much the same with other airlines.

I'd definitely complain to AA, by snail mail to the executive offices. This affects business people as well as leisure travelers. The supervisor should have used TIMATIC, which is what the AA agents normally use for these decisions. Inputting the data should have revealed China TWOV conditions.

You can see what TIMATIC is and what they'd have seen using the UA public use page here.

Future business is entirely speculative and not germane.

This is not intended to be competent legal advice. For such, consult an attorney.
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
How much are you looking to claim for lost business + lost future business?
Compare that to the cost of a visa. Was it worth not getting a visa for your son?
We can't quantify value of lost business or relationships. But since it's involuntary denial of boarding, I'd like to receive 400% value of ticket - as Jay received.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We can't quantify value of lost business or relationships. But since it's involuntary denial of boarding, I'd like to receive 400% value of ticket - as Jay received.
^^
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
GAs are likely to stop reading once they have grounds to deny. The TWOA conditions are AFTER the rules that require a visa. Getting them to look further is a challenge. I was in ORD, I had a printout from the Chinese Consulate, they even called the AA travel czar in Dallas. They all decided a visa was required for a two day stay over. Dallas must have got confused and called back saying they would let me board IF I agreed to pay for the return ticket and any fines imposed if entry was denied. Talk about a pensive flight! Got to PVG and not even a second look.

ALWAYS plan extra time at the airport to get such issues resolved.
Unless you MUST fly AA to China, I dont see why one would ever choose AA given their Travel Tzar still does not know jack after several years AA started its China routes, and after the first 72 hours and now 144 hours TWOA are in effect - of course all the exceptions are listed under the very first one said Visa Required - that is why those are EXCEPTIONS under certain conditions...

Neither UA nor DL has such ignorant agents and even more ignorant "travel tsar" given that it IS their job to understand these things.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
...Neither UA nor DL has such ignorant agents and even more ignorant "travel tsar" given that it IS their job to understand these things.
It is definitely not accurate to claim that these exact kinds of situations have not happened with UA and DL.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Why can't this be a USDOT complaint? Expressly not consulting TIMATIC and only relying one's own "religious" belief that such an itin requires a visa? And especially that they have admitted guilt!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EP
HA ha ha ha....400%?!?!?? Oh this is a classic.

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Aug 6, 2017 at 6:55 am Reason: 400? That might be a tough sell
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
HA ha ha ha....400%?!?!?? Oh this is a classic.
You're aware that 400% isn't just some arbitrary figure?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...from-a-flight/
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
You do realize there's a maximum amount ($1350), right?
How much did the ticket cost?

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Aug 6, 2017 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
Neither UA nor DL has such ignorant agents and even more ignorant "travel tsar" given that it IS their job to understand these things.
The long thread (3,392 posts at this writing) in the FT China forum reveals plenty of problems interpreting China's TWOV on the part of DL and UA check-in agents.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
The long thread (3,392 posts at this writing) in the FT China forum reveals plenty of problems interpreting China's TWOV on the part of DL and UA check-in agents.
But not as plainly stupid as this DFW one. Not even this thread's OP's LAX horror story!

You know what penalty will make airlines learn? Follow the Koreans. Asiana flew ICN-SPN one night, the 4-hour flight had some critical equipment outage about an hour out, but the pilots decided, instead of an easy divert to (and rescue flight send to) Japan, to continue to Saipan, where the plane was promptly deemed unable to return, stranding 200 mostly Korean vacationers returning home. The Korean government's penalty was SUSPENSION for a number of days. Saipan's government had to plea for diluted punishment (e.g. -1 flight/week instead of 7 straight days no flights) because that will impact their tourist economy.

So to apply this principle, it'd be my "dream" to see the Chinese or US government levying a one-flight suspension for every blatantly improper denial of boarding due to visa issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.