Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nk15
Although I agree that the OP should have been ok here, let's say for the sake of the argument what would have happened had the airline for operational reasons rebooked the OP's return to PVG-DFW-LAX, as it is within their rights to do, after he had flown the outbound...Now who would responsible for this non compliant TWOV mess?
Have you read the thread? This has been brought up more then once. All that matters is that you were compliant upon landing. The fact that the flights later get changed don't mean they are now in trouble. You only need to qualify for entry at the point you enter. Just like if you have a visa for one time entry that expires on March 30. You can enter that country on March 30, and stay for however long entry under that visa is valid for. So if you can stay for sixty days, you can stay for sixty days. The fact that you no longer could enter the country using that visa doesn't mean you're now in the country illegally.

The issue would be if they changed the booking before entered China. Then the passenger wouldnt be able to enter without it being changed. However They'd be within their rights to say the routing is not acceptable and ask to be routed in a manner that makes them compliant for entry.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by nk15
Although I agree that the OP should have been ok here, let's say for the sake of the argument what would have happened had the airline for operational reasons rebooked the OP's return to PVG-DFW-LAX, as it is within their rights to do, after he had flown the outbound...Now who would responsible for this non compliant TWOV mess?
Involuntary changes (delays, cancellations) are covered under TWOV rules and neither pax nor airline are not held accountable.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by redrock
To the Mods we should put a note in the wiki with warning about same ticket transit/connection/stopover.
Anyone who meets the minimum tenure and post requirements can create and edit wikis on FlyerTalk. The intent of wikis isn't to require information to be moderated or vetted, but rather to encourage community owned and maintained information sources. @:-)

~Moderator
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
So people are happy to put the Agent's job on the line so that they can bend PVG TWOV rules.
How​​​​​​ was the OP bending the rules exactly? They are so ridicously black and white.

Lot of schadenfreude in this thread and I think people are being purposefully obtuse towards the OP because, well, it's 2017.

As for moral compasses, maybe people should think about how much misleading mis-information they are producing in this thread, which should have purely focussed on how AA be brought to account for messing up.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
How​​​​​​ was the OP bending the rules exactly? They are so ridicously black and white.
If asking this at this stage in the thread, then I suggest reading the thread and understanding what others points of view may be.

If it was "ridiculously black and white" , I suspect that there would be no discussion on it ( as per just about any other country )
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If asking this at this stage in the thread, then I suggest reading the thread and understanding what others points of view may be.

If it was "ridiculously black and white" , I suspect that there would be no discussion on it ( as per just about any other country )
AFA China is concerned it is black and white. The fact that people outside China confuse the rules is different.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
So people are happy to put the Agent's job on the line so that they can bend PVG TWOV rules.
Not at all. The agent could have rung their AA china offices or airport staff, they could have called Shanghai Immigration, they could have asked the passenger to sign an indemnity. If the agent was unsure they had multiple opportunities to clarify.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Myyra
Do you accept the fact that the TWOV scheme works for nested tickets? I.e.

LAX - PVG (ticket 1)
5 days at PVG
PVG - NRT (ticket 2)
NRT - PVG (ticket 2)
5 days at PVG
PVG - LAX (ticket 1).

If so, how does the Agent in your example address this? Clearly, the agent in LAX sees no transit on the passenger's AA itinerary. But visa-free transit at PVG is possible both ways.
You need to have printouts of both itineraries (aka PNRs or reservations) and ticket receipts, including ticket numbers. Show them at check in and to the GA if questioned when boarding.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbd456
loyalty lobby has an article recently about transit without visa in china recently. he claimed that it has been tightened, and he knows people who had booked another ticket out of china to satisfy the requirement, and cancelled once entered china. when they left china, they were banned for TWOV indefinitely.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/04/15/n...-over-24-hours
Of course China can and should impose sanctions if someone is booking fake (fully refundable and never intended to be used) tickets to satisfy China's TWOV rules and then staying in China in a way that violates TWOV rules (and not due to IROPs beyond the person's control).This is very different from booking a ticket into China just to show to an uninformed but stubborn GA who is wrong but determined to prevent the customer from using TWOV.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by 168
Our experience exactly.

Booked award tickets on AA for HKG-PVG-TPE. Rather than mixing other OW airlines, tickets were booked on CX's HKG-PVG-HKG (1.5 hours layover)-TPE flights. CX allowed us to board in HKG due to transiting PVG to TPE without China visa, but we were deported in PVG. Chinese custom sees their port of entry as the transit point and all they care about is your inbound and outbound flights and nothing more. AAA-China-CCC formula must contain 3 different countries.

Sorry to hear AA system see this differently.
If your actual flight segments were HKG-PVG-HKG-TPE, this wasn't eligible for TWOV. However, the stop or connection in HKG between PVG and TPE should have been noticed earlier so that you weren't boarded for the HKG to PVG flight.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need to have printouts of both itineraries (aka PNRs or reservations) and ticket receipts, including ticket numbers. Show them at check in and to the GA if questioned when boarding.
Thanks, I know that it works and I've done this myself. The poster I was replying to claims that there's nothing the agent can do because all they see is LAX-PVG-LAX so PVG can't be transit. I was asking if it's too much for the agent to look at the other booking and consider PVG as the transit point.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sure ... except that wouldn't be the truth, right? OP's destination by any objective assessment -- PVG.

Which might be why the agent -- like agents from several other airlines -- had a problem with it.

Some, however, might interpret the objective of the Chinese TWOV policy to be something to encourage tourists who are traveling through several countries of Asia to also stop in China. For example, there wouldn't seem to be any question that someone who spent a few days in Japan, then spent a few days in Singapore, then spent a few days in China, then spent a few days in Thailand would be eligible for the TWOV visa. I'd guess that other than FT'ers, most of the people using TWOV fall into this category.

If China wanted to adopt a 72/144 hour tourist visa for residents of the countries covered by the TWOV policy, they could. But someone simply adding in flight connection in another country runs the risk that the agent checking them in will have problems with the itinerary. I'd also be shocked if from time to time at least someone doesn't have Chinese immigration scrutinize such an itinerary. Our TWOV experts from China forum seem to believe that doesn't happen but they only have a limited pool of reports.
First of all, there's no such thing as a "TWOV visa." TWOV = TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA. No visa is involved.

Secondly, people (including me on DL) have had problems with airlines not accepting itineraries with other stopovers in Asia that clearly satisfied the requirements for TWOV.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
First of all, there's no such thing as a "TWOV visa." TWOV = TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA. No visa is involved.

Secondly, people (including me on DL) have had problems with airlines not accepting itineraries with other stopovers in Asia that clearly satisfied the requirements for TWOV.
I acknowledge that TWOV does not equal Visa ATM Machine ... etc.

And yes, other airlines in the US, Europe, and Asia -- and even China --- have had situations involving potential TWOV visitors that left someone unhappy.

Obviously, the solution is for the China IATA rep to clarify the problem.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Obviously, the solution is for the China IATA rep to clarify the problem.
It would make much more sense for AA to fix the problem on its end because China's TWOV policy --as presented in TIMATIC-- is not difficult for people with average intelligence to comprehend.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
China created the loophole, and wanted people to take advantage of it. China simply wants to maintain a farce that due to reciprocity, it cannot blanket-ly waive visa to everyone, but still wants your economic contributions and their airlines to sell connections (not the OP's routing though). The tourism part may not be the intention of the 24-hour multi-stop TWOV, but for the Shanghai-area 144-hour TWOV, it is exactly the intention. Really go to a third country and spend up to 12 days total around Shanghai, or return through a third country (easily done on AF/KL and LH/OS/LX groups) and spend up to 6 days. When an Australian asked about a round trip, the government said "add a stop".
Exactly. Politically and to save face, China can offer TWOV (and benefit from the additional money from overseas being spent in China) despite not wanting to allow people from a list of countries to enter without visas due to reciprocity concerns.

Originally Posted by moondog
Let's imagine that you are Chinese policy maker charged with the mission of maximizing tourism revenues, and there exists a person in Los Angeles who is planning on spending $10,000 on the ground during his upcoming vacation.

His options are:
1. Japan ($2,500), Singapore ($2,500), China ($2,500), Thailand ($2,500)
2. China ($10,000)

Which option would best serve your interests?
Again, exactly. China wants us to use TWOV if we respect the actual rules for TWOV. It shouldn't be difficult to understand.

So people are happy to put the Agent's job on the line so that they can bend PVG TWOV rules. Have people no moral compass any longer?

Lets call a spade a spade. The OP was travelling to PVG period for a family vacation and returning to USA via NRT. The OP probably did not even enter Japan proper but merely remained in the sterile area of the airport.

As for letter from the Chinese consulate. We have no idea what facts were presented to the Chinese consulate by the OP. Was the Chinese consulate aware then the OP was not entering Japan but merely switching planes there on their way back to USA?

Regarding SC court, the OP is being quite naive. The written and published TWOV documentation by Shanghai authorities will be accorded a lot more weight that anecdotal evidence by the OP that the defacto rules are different than the dejure rules.
I think the airline agent's job should be on the line when they incorrectly deny boarding to a customer.

Originally Posted by moondog
The OP didn't bend any rules. I can't imagine AA would miss the employee who was responsible for his ordeal.
I think the agent's job should be on the line when they incorrectly deny boarding to a customer. If the agent cannot or will not learn how to do the job correctly and then do it correctly and ideally without fuss, then that agent needs to go elsewhere (although please not to another airline).

Originally Posted by redrock
WOW such a long thread:

To the OP I think the biggest issue with the itin is that the "destination country=Japan" occurs in the "return leg" of the ticket PVG-NRT-LAX.

The OP did research and had some backup but at the airport 100% of the power is with the airline/check-in agents. So not much recourse if there is a dispute over the interpretation of "transit" "destination" "stopover".

As others mentioned a second ticket (PVG-HKG) would prove that "transit" is happening in PVG.

To the Mods we should put a note in the wiki with warning about same ticket transit/connection/stopover.

To the OP I think you have a strong case to seek refund/compensation so I hope you find a good resolution.

I just did TWOV in PVG and PEK and for families I would definitely recommend a visa if at all possible.
People have trouble with USA-NRT-PVG-USA as well as USA-PVG-NRT-USA. It doesn't seem to matter, in terms of dealing with AA or DL etc. whether you do the third country before or after China in terms of airline agents rejecting TWOV complient itineraries.

Remember that a China visa (one needed per person, including children) currently costs $160 plus fees for special passport sized photos and (for those who don't live in a city with a Chinese consulate) visa service agency fees and FedEx costs. For a family, this can easily exceed a thousand dollars. Most families would prefer not to waste this much money just because there are airline agents who can't/won't do their jobs correctly and think it's just fine to refuse boarding based on their misinformation.

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Involuntary changes (delays, cancellations) are covered under TWOV rules and neither pax nor airline are not held accountable.
However, we should emphasize that what you cannot do is enter with a TWOV compliant itinerary and then voluntarily change it to, for example, stay more than 72/144 hours as defined in the TWOV rules, fly to an additional city within China, or fly nonstop back to the country from which you entered China. Doing any of these things voluntarily will rightly get you into big trouble with the Chinese authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.