Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hoopsgroup
He was denied a visa due to too many stamps in his passport - figure that one out. We were then advised to get a second "clean" passport - a new passport with no stamps - which we did. He was to fly to Shanghai and stay less than the 144 hours. We purchased a second ticket (through AA, so they could have records of both flights under his name) so he could leave the country and come back for less than 144 hours on the back end. According to the law and the local Dallas passport and visa expedite company experts, this should have worked perfectly.
"too many stamps" meaning "not enough room for the stamps that will be needed", perhaps? How full were his visa pages?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
"too many stamps" meaning "not enough room for the stamps that will be needed", perhaps? How full were his visa pages?
The consulate's response to our expedite company was that he had too many stamps to Haiti - 4 trips in 4 years as a college student with teammates to do construction. He had also stamps from Canada, France, Belgium, Italy and Spain...maybe others. Our speculation is that they might have thought he was a missionary and didn't want to issue a 10-year visa to such a person. But, he had plenty of room... just red flags (pun intended!) for the Chinese gov't
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Happy
Unless you MUST fly AA to China, I dont see why one would ever choose AA given their Travel Tzar still does not know jack after several years AA started its China routes, and after the first 72 hours and now 144 hours TWOA are in effect - of course all the exceptions are listed under the very first one said Visa Required - that is why those are EXCEPTIONS under certain conditions...

Neither UA nor DL has such ignorant agents and even more ignorant "travel tsar" given that it IS their job to understand these things.
Yes, DL does have such ignorant agents, including very senior "redcoat" supervisors. Moreover, DL has no travel czar so there's no one at HQ to which appeals can be made. In addition, these DL airport authorities have told me that "DL had its own version of TIMATIC" and they refuse to even look at a TIMATIC printout from the like on their own alliance (SkyTeam) website.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The consulate's response to our expedite company was that he had too many stamps to Haiti - 4 trips in 4 years as a college student with teammates to do construction. He had also stamps from Canada, France, Belgium, Italy and Spain...maybe others. Our speculation is that they might have thought he was a missionary and didn't want to issue a 10-year visa to such a person. But, he had plenty of room... just red flags (pun intended!) for the Chinese gov't
Then I'd worry that the person could also be denied upon arrival in China for the same reason. It's sounds like the problem/speculation wasn't the number of stamps but more the regular travel to Haiti which is unlikely to be a tourist or business destination.

BTW, did the passport have two completely clean pages facing each other? This is as extreme as In can recall for any visa requirement, although for China one clean page might be enough.

BTW, I've gotten Chinese visas and also done TWOV with many more stamps in my passport, but I don't visit Haiti or similar suspicious places. Maybe you should have tried a different visa agency and ideally a different consulate if there's a way that the rules would allow it.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, DL does have such ignorant agents, including very senior "redcoat" supervisors. Moreover, DL has no travel czar so there's no one at HQ to which appeals can be made. In addition, these DL airport authorities have told me that "DL had its own version of TIMATIC" and they refuse to even look at a TIMATIC printout from the like on their own alliance (SkyTeam) website.
Yep. The claim that this is unique to AA in some way is very false. Not even unique to U.S. carriers.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then I'd worry that the person could also be denied upon arrival in China for the same reason. It's sounds like the problem/speculation wasn't the number of stamps but more the regular travel to Haiti which is unlikely to be a tourist or business destination.

BTW, did the passport have two completely clean pages facing each other? This is as extreme as In can recall for any visa requirement, although for China one clean page might be enough.

BTW, I've gotten Chinese visas and also done TWOV with many more stamps in my passport, but I don't visit Haiti or similar suspicious places. Maybe you should have tried a different visa agency and ideally a different consulate if there's a way that the rules would allow it.
Time did not allow to apply for another visa and have it processed before travel. The solution we were told was to get a new clean passport and book a ticket out of China within the 144-hour rule. We did all that. It should have worked, if agents had inputted correct info into TIMATIC. They would not acknowledge he would only be there five days before going to HK and returning for another 3 days. They insisted in inputting an 8-day stay, so TIMATIC spit out results that he needed a visa, due to erroneous information being fed into it. They were not informed, and we did everything within the law.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're aware that 400% isn't just some arbitrary figure?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...from-a-flight/
I know you are way more experienced than me but if its not an oversold flight why would IDB apply?

My son had a RT AA ticket to PVG for 8 days

but we are looking for compensation for lost time and business (and FUTURE business).

Any legal eagles available to advise?
I didn't think TWOV was allowed for business travel purposes

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 6, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 4:41 pm

Yep. The claim that this is unique to AA in some way is very false. Not even unique to U.S. carriers.
Yep, I had trouble with this same issue with CX agents in HYD, when flying to PVG.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
400% capped at $1,350 is the IDB compensation formula. But, this does not qualify for IDB because the reason for denial is not oversale, but a mistaken interpretation of China's rules.

DOT could have expanded its IDB rule to cover any improper denial of boarding, but it has not.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
I know you are way more experienced than me but if its not an oversold flight why would IDB apply?
It's how AA legal handles it in these cases:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28280567-post591.html
(I know of other cases as well, same formula applied.)
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It's how AA legal handles it in these cases:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28280567-post591.html
(I know of other cases as well, same formula applied.)
Ah then OP should keep his mouth shut about the business stuff which would make this a valid denied boarding
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
I have been traveling to Haiti five to six times a year and when I applied for a Chinese visa last year had no problems with getting the 10 year visa. It might have helped that I had just gotten a new passport and only had several pages with stamps but i believe they were all Haiti immigration stamps except a couple to Asia for HKG and Tokyo.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

We can't quantify value of lost business or relationships. But since it's involuntary denial of boarding, I'd like to receive 400% value of ticket - as Jay received.
Do let us know your progress and how it turns out, would be good to have the data-point.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
I have been traveling to Haiti five to six times a year and when I applied for a Chinese visa last year had no problems with getting the 10 year visa. It might have helped that I had just gotten a new passport and only had several pages with stamps but i believe they were all Haiti immigration stamps except a couple to Asia for HKG and Tokyo.
I'm glad your Haiti travel did not impact your China travel like it did for my son. Perhaps they've tightened their scrutiny since then
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:52 am

Do let us know your progress and how it turns out, would be good to have the data-point.
Full purchase price to be refunded back to original form of payment.
$300 AA voucher
Personal phone call which lasted 20 minutes. Rep assured me all details would be reviewed and personnel would be addressed.
Rep also said "You did everything right. We failed to provide the level of service you should expect." FINALLY! Too little, too late, but FINALLY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.