Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Is this in Y? Typically on short flight AA only offers small bottle of water in Y.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have seen in on a European carrier with short flight duration: Swiss, actually.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Is this in Y? Typically on short flight AA only offers small bottle of water in Y.
Yes 12F on a Dino A320
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I have seen in on a European carrier with short flight duration: Swiss, actually.
I’ve had two beverages and a snack from LHR-BRU (!!)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Currently flying iah-dfw. No soda because “short duration of flight”.

BULLOCKS. Total laziness. You’d never see this on a European or Asian carrier of similar duration.
And those carriers might even charge you for the privilege (cough..BA...cough).

The IAH-DFW flight in question was in the air for apx. 52 minutes (and at a workable altitude for significantly less than that). Clearly a hardship to not have soda.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
And those carriers might even charge you for the privilege (cough..BA...cough).

The IAH-DFW flight in question was in the air for apx. 52 minutes (and at a workable altitude for significantly less than that). Clearly a hardship to not have soda.
Apologist!

Plenty of time to pull the cart.

Again, laziness.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by enviroian
Currently flying iah-dfw. No soda because “short duration of flight”.

BULLOCKS. Total laziness. You’d never see this on a European or Asian carrier of similar duration.
This was in FC?! FC should always get a full beverage service no matter the flight length (unless it's like a 40 mile flight).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
This was in FC?! FC should always get a full beverage service no matter the flight length (unless it's like a 40 mile flight).
Upthread he indicated that he was seated in 12F for an IAH-DFW flight. Unless they're running a widebody on that, I don't believe that seat would be in F.

I do agree with full service in F, and I've had it even on a short GRK-DFW flight (with an awesome FA).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I find it ironic that LAX - LAS gets only the juice / water service in coach (if you're lucky) whereas LAS - PHX usually gets the full service. The former is 236 miles whereas the latter is 255 so only 19 miles difference! What was just as frustrating was when flying LAX - FAT you'd more often than not get a full beverage service when on a SkyWest operated flight with a single FA, but nothing at all when on a Compass flight with two FAs.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aztimm
Upthread he indicated that he was seated in 12F for an IAH-DFW flight. Unless they're running a widebody on that, I don't believe that seat would be in F.

I do agree with full service in F, and I've had it even on a short GRK-DFW flight (with an awesome FA).
i was reading quickly and thought he meant a 12FC cabin on the A320.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I find it ironic that LAX - LAS gets only the juice / water service in coach (if you're lucky) whereas LAS - PHX usually gets the full service. The former is 236 miles whereas the latter is 255 so only 19 miles difference! What was just as frustrating was when flying LAX - FAT you'd more often than not get a full beverage service when on a SkyWest operated flight with a single FA, but nothing at all when on a Compass flight with two FAs.
LAA vs LUS perhaps?

I managed to squeeze in a rather rapid G+T on the puddle jump from LAX to SAN at the weekend. 22 mins in the air. I was in F which helped. No sign of any PDB even though it was a CRJ-200 with only 5 of the 6 seats occupied.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I used to commute between Houston and Dallas. I flew WN due to their greater number of frequencies compared to AA and because DAL is so much more convenient for me.

Full beverage service was essentially always offered, barring true terrible turbulence. And the FAs often would joke about the short duration of the flight and encourage pax to “bottoms up” before the crew had to come back and collect cups and cans.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Something I find weird on my two usual routes:

- RDU-CLT 130 Miles: Always OJ or Water even on the A-321 unless there's bad turbulence
- CLT-ATL 224 Miles: Never a drink service on the 319/320 or CRJ-900 I fly on this route
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Does anyone know when the 250 mile limit for a full beverage service was changed? I have just done LAS - PHX and back and on both sectors the only offering in coach was water and juice. Previously LAS - PHX has always been a full beverage service. On the LAS - PHX sector I asked the FA when this was changed and got nothing more than a blank look. The lead FA didn't know either, and suggested I spoke with CR which I will do. On the return flight (today) it was the same - only juice and water. I spoke to the lead FA who also didn't know when or why the policy had changed but did speak to the FAs working the main cabin and my g/f and I both got an alcoholic drink.

What's frustrating is that all the AA marketing materials still refer to the 250 mile limit whereas the reality is clearly different. On the one hand it's hardly worth sweating over but on the other hand we all make decisions based on such things as in-flight service and amenities. Had I known before redeeming miles that the service offering had changed then I may have decided not to redeem miles but to book basic economy, or fly with another carrier.

On Friday's LAS - PHX flight the announcement was that "Due to the short flight duration....." it would be a limited service. The 250 mile limit, albeit arbitrary, at least allows you to manage expectations.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Another data point, flew DFW-TUL, Y got water bottle & OJ while F got full beverage/snack service. Same when I flew ORD-DTW. Both were on MD80's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.