Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Does anyone know the official policy for "very" short flights? I'm thinking of ~25 minute airtime flights, like BWI-PHL.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:36 pm

Reviving, as it as the topic at hand.

Is there a list anywhere with what beverage service should be expected? The meals has the exceptions for some routes, but looking for what is expected on a normal, non-turbulent flight too short for meals. Flew ORD->DTW yesterday, 51 minutes reported time by captain before takeoff, CRJ700 3 in first, maybe 40% full in coach. FA announces that due to the short flight, it was water only, huh? DFW->AUS is sometimes 36 minutes and still does water or juice on a packed 32B. "Service" completed before we are even over the lake, and FA chats with First FA for 20 minutes, so it wasn't a lack of time problem. A half full cup of room temp water, really going for great there.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by autdi
Flew ORD->DTW yesterday, 51 minutes reported time by captain before takeoff, CRJ700 3 in first, maybe 40% full in coach. FA announces that due to the short flight, it was water only, huh?.
IME, I hear that PA all the time on ORD-DTW and DL is the same. It is maybe an hour and fifteen gate to gate. Whhaddya need in that short time?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by DataPlumber

IME, I hear that PA all the time on ORD-DTW and DL is the same. It is maybe an hour and fifteen gate to gate. Whhaddya need in that short time?
service I paid for
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Duplicates

Last edited by asnovici; Jun 17, 2018 at 5:43 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:31 pm

Let me know and I’ll send mine back
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber

Mostly ice, although any of the new MCE additions would have been nice. Having woken up to discover I was re-routed due to the CLT snafu, and having little time in ORD after 2 hrs on an e145, getting something cold, not warm to drink. As miserable as the e145 was for 2 hours, the FA did 2 rounds with the drinks, actually asked pretzels or biscoff, and it was a completely packed flight. One lets me tolerate AA, the other make me wonder why I still fly them.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:34 pm

LAX LAS is zero service. Same with UA. WN will sometimes try.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I commute on CHI-MSP (336 mi). DL is generally water + coffee only (especially if not mainline), while AA almost always manages a full beverage service unless there's weather.

Last edited by linglingfool; Jun 17, 2018 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Since that flight (ORD-DTW) flies over the lake, I'm wondering if they do an abbreviated service due to the unpredictable nature of the winds aloft...to protect their employees from unexpected turbulence?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by MikeShores
Since that flight (ORD-DTW) flies over the lake, I'm wondering if they do an abbreviated service due to the unpredictable nature of the winds aloft...to protect their employees from unexpected turbulence?
Previously, on MD80 and 737 it was full beverage service. I seem to remember the Envoy run flights were full beverage service as well.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX_BillyJoe
LAX LAS is zero service. Same with UA. WN will sometimes try.
I flew LAX-LAS on Saturday and it was water/OJ service.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Nothing served LAS-PHX the other day on a LUS A320. They could have AT LEAST passed out bottles of water/juice like on intra-FL flights or Hawaiian does on intra-Hawaii flights. PATHETIC.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Fly LAX-LAS a bit on both AA and WN. WN usually tries to crank out a service unless there is a lot of turbulence.

AA has just been handing out water or juice since the rules changed. Now that MCE is "entitled" to free drinks, you would think they should add drink choices for pax in those rows, but that will likely never happen.

I've had a few instances on WN on a Business Select fare where I couldn't use my drink coupon due to no drink service. Mentioned it to their customer service and gladly sent me a couple more coupons for my troubles. I hate SWA's seating policy but they are far more customer oriented and friendly than AA.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Juice or water only on short duration flights?

Currently flying iah-dfw. No soda because “short duration of flight”.

BULLOCKS. Total laziness. You’d never see this on a European or Asian carrier of similar duration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.