Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

beverage policy in coach for "short" flights

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The reason the short flights are even catered with such limited supplies is because US based FAs complain that they don’t have enough time to get it done. DL started this I think (I have my theories why) and AA just copies.

Meanwhile in other parts of the world, FAs must be geniuses to figure out short flight full services. Hmmmmm
enviroian and railmatt like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I hate it when they don't due the PDB due to expected turbulence....
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Sorry to capture this thread, please move accordingly if neccessary.
I will be flying MIA - MCO in F soon, anything to be expected servicewise on this short flight?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SirToby
Sorry to capture this thread, please move accordingly if neccessary.
I will be flying MIA - MCO in F soon, anything to be expected servicewise on this short flight?
One or two rounds of drinks and snack basket.
SirToby likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:59 pm

Flights with Limited Beverage Service

I flew DCA-ALB and ALB-DCA this past week. Both flights were on a Piedmont E145. Both segments had an abbreviated beverage service. The FA walked the cabin offering water or apple/orange juice. When I asked for a Coke Zero on the first flight she said "I can't unlock the cans yet". I thought this might have something to do with the Fasten Seatbelt light still being on.

I've flown this general route with both UA (out of IAD) and WN (out of BWI). Both managed to do a full beverage service. Heck, Southwest can manage it with a full 737-800.

So my question is was this flight SUPPOSED to have a full beverage service? I understand that sometimes unsafe conditions prevent the FAs from carrying out a service but do some shorter Eagle flights only offer the limited service by default? I just want to know if this is what I should expect for next time. Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by slutide
I flew DCA-ALB and ALB-DCA this past week. Both flights were on a Piedmont E145. Both segments had an abbreviated beverage service. The FA walked the cabin offering water or apple/orange juice. When I asked for a Coke Zero on the first flight she said "I can't unlock the cans yet". I thought this might have something to do with the Fasten Seatbelt light still being on.

I've flown this general route with both UA (out of IAD) and WN (out of BWI). Both managed to do a full beverage service. Heck, Southwest can manage it with a full 737-800.

So my question is was this flight SUPPOSED to have a full beverage service? I understand that sometimes unsafe conditions prevent the FAs from carrying out a service but do some shorter Eagle flights only offer the limited service by default? I just want to know if this is what I should expect for next time. Thanks!
AFAIK for flights under 250 miles a small bottle of water or juice only is offered. I'm not sure if that's Mainline only.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On a microo-hop such as DCA-ALB in a small aircraft, it is entirely possible that turbulence shortens the time available for service and thus the beverage service is cut short, especially with only one FA.

I presume that the FA's comment about the other carts is that she was directed not to unlock them (not really a lock, but a knob) so that they couldn't go wandering.

Generally speaking, I've never been denied my choice on mainline or express other than when turbulence interferes.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
I don't know what Piedmont's official policy is, but what I will say is that there is no reason that even on a flight of this duration, the FA can't do a full beverage service. I worked as a FA for Comair out of CVG and I would always do a full beverage service on short hops like CVG-CLE. Was I running quickly and barely had enough time to collect all the trash before we landed? Sure. But I took personal pride in challenging myself in providing a full beverage service on the CRJ for a 35 minute flight. Bottom line, if the FA wants to do it, they can, just depends how lazy they are.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Common on DFW/OKC flights. And not a big deal for such a short flight.
no1cub17 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Pure laziness.

Carriers in other countries can do a full beverage (and snack) on 30 minute flights.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Often1
On a microo-hop such as DCA-ALB in a small aircraft, it is entirely possible that turbulence shortens the time available for service and thus the beverage service is cut short, especially with only one FA.
DCA-ALB doesn't strike me as micro and I have no clue why you think that turbulence shortens time available for service more on a "small" aircraft than a large one.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Herb687
DCA-ALB doesn't strike me as micro and I have no clue why you think that turbulence shortens time available for service more on a "small" aircraft than a large one.
I just checked flightaware.com. It's not a micro flight at all. I see flight times of 1:15 to 1:45 consistently. PLENTY of time.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AFAIK for flights under 250 miles a small bottle of water or juice only is offered. I'm not sure if that's Mainline only.
On MIA-MCO (192 miles) nothing is offered in coach so to me it seems that mainline under 250 miles gets full service if conditions are good or water/juice and personal requests at FA's request when there's turbulence.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
On MIA-MCO (192 miles) nothing is offered in coach so to me it seems that mainline under 250 miles gets full service if conditions are good or water/juice and personal requests at FA's request when there's turbulence.
There may be a under 250 mile policy...but DCA-ALB (subject of OP) is 318 miles per gcmap. So shouldn't be in play here.

That said, on the list of possible service issues, this one is way, way down the list of things that I care about.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Regionals also in Y. HOU-DFW was water/juice only yesterday.

Luckily I was in J

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.