Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA F Endorsed to AA F, not great experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F Endorsed to AA F, not great experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
AA/BA Schinigans

Not a moan as such, but just sharing my recent experience on AA and BA.

Flew MAN-LHR-ORD a while back. We had booked Biz going and 1st coming back. Outgoing was on 747 and were due to return on the same. However BA plane was hugely delayed, so we were automatically transferred onto AA 777 leaving at similar time.

It was my first time in F and AA didn't seem all that great. The crew, food and ambiance were about equal to that of Biz on BA going out.

Did I miss out by having to fly AA instead of BA, or would the experience have been similar?

NB, AA lounge in ORD was pretty poor.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
Assuming you meant LHR-ORD (Chicago), it must have been quite a while back -- as far as I know AA doesn't offer First class on that route anymore.

You can't really draw general conclusions based on a single flight, but from other threads it sounds like AA and BA indeed have comparable average service levels (though with plenty of variation).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, QR Privilege Club, HH Gold
Thanks - yes was a while back in 2016.

I was thinking It would be useful to have another flight to compare with if I can get the opportunity in the near future.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by MattHall
Thanks - yes was a while back in 2016.

I was thinking It would be useful to have another flight to compare with if I can get the opportunity in the near future.
Would you have preferred to spend the night in LHR due to the delay, and fly on the 747 the following day?

You were able to get back to the USA on a 777 in a premium cabin. I'd be content. Things happen when you travel. Being flexible is the key to enjoying the journey.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MattHall
NB, AA lounge in ORD was pretty poor.
Did you use the Flagship lounge at ORD since you were in F? I have found it to be pretty good, though small.

BTW, Shinigan seems to be a Filipino cuisine.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by MADPhil
BTW, Shinigan seems to be a Filipino cuisine.
I thought he was the guy who kept the list during World War II . . .
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm not sure why you think being endorsed to AA was a shenanigan; the option was overnighting in LHR.

But you apparently were put ona 777, which has an obsolete F suite that will soon be eliminated as the 777-200s are refurbished to a hard Business product that is far superior to BA Club World. You were fortunate to be put in F on that old bird, as J is an angled flat 2-3-2 product not looked upon fondly here.

IME, cabin crew and food are crap shoots on both. Mostly okay, some awful and some stellar. (That generally applies to BA F, as well.)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
BA F doesn't get that great of reviews these days either http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lly-first.html
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Wait, so op was supposed to fly BA J on a 747, but got moved to AA F on a 777? If so, op definitely got a better seat.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hiima
Wait, so op was supposed to fly BA J on a 747, but got moved to AA F on a 777? If so, op definitely got a better seat.
After flying BA F on a 777 I feel even if had been in F on BA that AA would be better. Doesn't say much for BA.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OP, you are very lucky and definitely got an upgrade, you should be thanking AA or BA for this. I had the exact same problem, going LHR-ORD on a flat CW bed with BA, but the BA connecting flight was late and they rebooked me to an angle-flat J seat on the old AA 777. I complained about the downgrade (flat to angle-flat bed) and asked to be put in F and the snarky BA desk agent told me to ask AA if they will pay for it. And I was on a BA ticket I think, and delayed because of BA. But I think I was only OW Sapphire at the time (not that the cheapos at BA would have cared anyway).
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The AA soft product isn't that great, but I strongly prefer the AA F hard product over BA F any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Even the old style F with the DC adapters. IMO, the AA F seat compares favorably to just about everything out there, short of the ME apartments.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Catbert10
..IMO, the AA F seat compares favorably to just about everything out there, short of the ME apartments.
There are a LOT of F seats out there that are better IMO (and, in IME )

Really, very many.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Best use for old AA F seat is for swiveling around, I believe...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There are a LOT of F seats out there that are better IMO (and, in IME )

Really, very many.
Obviously, my experience is different. I've plopped myself down in many different types of F seats, and I still think that for sleep and resting comfort, the AA seat is one of the best. If I'm going to spend almost all of the flight sleeping, I prefer AA because I sleep better. Much better, IME. That said, the soft product isn't as good as many carrier's J soft product.

But we digress. In the OP's case, I don't see AA F being a downgrade from BA J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.