AARP discount on AA?

Old Apr 12, 17, 4:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,307
AARP discount on AA?

I apologize in advance if this is already posted. I tried to search several ways, but could not find it.

Can one get an AARP similar to the one on on ba.com for AA flights on aa.com?

Thanks.
satish_ny is offline  
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:50 pm
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Posts: 6,119
Originally Posted by satish_ny View Post
I apologize in advance if this is already posted. I tried to search several ways, but could not find it.

Can one get an AARP similar to the one on on ba.com for AA flights on aa.com?

Thanks.
No.
controller1 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:52 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,819
AA does not have a similar program/relationship with AARP as BA does. But see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ning-65-a.html
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:54 pm
  #4  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Posts: 6,119
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
AA does not have a similar program/relationship with AARP as BA does. But see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ning-65-a.html
But only if you want a good laugh. Don't go there expecting to get an AARP discount!
controller1 is offline  
Old Apr 12, 17, 5:15 pm
  #5  
nrr
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,714
About 10 years ago AA (on some routes) did have Senior Fares (with SR as part of the fare coding), you did NOT (even) have to be an AARP member. Like a lot of nice perks, which AA used to offer, SR fares no longer exist.
nrr is offline  
Old Apr 12, 17, 5:56 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,307
Thanks all!
satish_ny is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:03 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EWR
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 537
Of course, you could try to follow the link through to BA and see if you could book BA codeshares on AA metal! Don't know if that would work.
handspring088 is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 9:23 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Posts: 3,475
Originally Posted by handspring088 View Post
Of course, you could try to follow the link through to BA and see if you could book BA codeshares on AA metal! Don't know if that would work.
You can book a BA codeshare on AA metal with the discount if it is a TATL round trip. Unlike the credit card discount which must be on BA metal.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 12:37 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,580
It is interesting that you have to book BRITISH Airways and not AMERICAN Airlines to get a discount from AARP, which was "AMERICAN Association of Retired Persons"
mvoight is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 2:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
But only if you want a good laugh. Don't go there expecting to get an AARP discount!
I was on a TATL flight once and almost all the AA flight attendants, including the purser, looked over 65, so all AARP members? One of the pilots also remarked that he was about to retire later that year because of age restriction, so I assumed he was 64?
ShutteLag is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 3:44 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NYC/BOS/MSY/AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Posts: 15,557
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
You can book a BA codeshare on AA metal with the discount if it is a TATL round trip.
I have done this.
Blumie is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:01 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Posts: 3,475
Originally Posted by ShutteLag View Post
I was on a TATL flight once and almost all the AA flight attendants, including the purser, looked over 65, so all AARP members? One of the pilots also remarked that he was about to retire later that year because of age restriction, so I assumed he was 64?
AARP has taken people at 50 for a long time and I don't think they really check.

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I have done this.
I did it most recently about a year ago to enjoy the 788 on ORD-MAN.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:05 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
AARP has taken people at 50 for a long time and I don't think they really check.



I did it most recently about a year ago to enjoy the 788 on ORD-MAN.
AARP is for "retired" people, so I'm not sure why there's an age restriction at all. If you retired at age 40 after working 20 years, are'n't you still technically and legally a "retired person"???
ShutteLag is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 4:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MSN
Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Posts: 3,475
Originally Posted by ShutteLag View Post
AARP is for "retired" people, so I'm not sure why there's an age restriction at all. If you retired at age 40 after working 20 years, are'n't you still technically and legally a "retired person"???
I think that they started out thinking of people who retired at a more usual age. But they started sell all sorts of financial products of interest to people per-retirement and changed the name to AARP.
MADPhil is offline  
Old Apr 13, 17, 5:07 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 146
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
I think that they started out thinking of people who retired at a more usual age. But they started sell all sorts of financial products of interest to people per-retirement and changed the name to AARP.
You mean they used to be called AAOP? American Association of Old People?
ShutteLag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: