Is AA really always this bad?

Old Apr 11, 17, 10:12 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Posts: 49
Is AA really always this bad?

Hi everyone, very very, very long time lurker here (sporting bag tags too), finally might be able to start contributing a little - pity my first post is a negative one!

Flew AA for the first time this weekend on a BA code share JFK - LHR, J, I was blessed with a cocky and rude purser. I can deal with mediocre crews, but this guy was a piece of work.

I asked about a feature of the seat - that is all.


Tried to lower seat divider - couldn't figure it out

Asked Purser - (While continuing to walk) "Oh that doesn’t work” and continued into the galley.

We asked another crew member several minutes later - as we didn't have an answer, the purser overheard this and said from across the cabin “The answer hasn’t changed”
"You didn't answer the question"
"I had something more important to attend to"
"Is our question not important?"
"A question about a divider is never important, 1000s of people will take your seats if you don't want to fly"
"Is this how you speak to all your customers?"
"Are we going to have a problem here?"
"I just want to know if the divider goes down, is this the way you're going to treat me?"
"Yes, the problem doesn't change if you ask someone else, It will be fixed in 6 months, and not today"
Purser exits stage left

I actually still don’t know if it was broken or wouldn’t lower by design, it looked like it did drop.

Reckon it's worth dropping AA &/or BA a note?
Morph90 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Here and there
Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Posts: 1,486
No, it isn't always like that.
deeruck is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:23 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 10,168
Did you report this purser to AA? I wouldn't go into the exact details, but I would emphasize that I was asking a question about the function of your seat and that the purser never answered the question, rudely interrupted when you asked another crew member, etc. His supervisor will follow up with the complaint and it will go in his personnel file.
formeraa is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:31 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Posts: 49
Thanks, I haven't yet but will.

Things like this don't tend to bother me, It's not worth getting upset about and wasting life on - but this guy riled me!
Morph90 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:47 am
  #5  
869
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,588
Absolutely report that exchange. Welcome, OP!
869 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:50 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Agree with those who say worth reporting, just with very, very, very, very, very, very low expectations of any kind of satisfying answer, realistically.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:57 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,688
Originally Posted by Morph90 View Post
Hi everyone, very very, very long time lurker here (sporting bag tags too), finally might be able to start contributing a little - pity my first post is a negative one!

Flew AA for the first time this weekend on a BA code share JFK - LHR, J, I was blessed with a cocky and rude purser. I can deal with mediocre crews, but this guy was a piece of work.

I asked about a feature of the seat - that is all.


Tried to lower seat divider - couldn't figure it out

Asked Purser - (While continuing to walk) "Oh that doesn’t work” and continued into the galley.

We asked another crew member several minutes later - as we didn't have an answer, the purser overheard this and said from across the cabin “The answer hasn’t changed”
"You didn't answer the question"
"I had something more important to attend to"
"Is our question not important?"
"A question about a divider is never important, 1000s of people will take your seats if you don't want to fly"
"Is this how you speak to all your customers?"
"Are we going to have a problem here?"
"I just want to know if the divider goes down, is this the way you're going to treat me?"
"Yes, the problem doesn't change if you ask someone else, It will be fixed in 6 months, and not today"
Purser exits stage left

I actually still don’t know if it was broken or wouldn’t lower by design, it looked like it did drop.

Reckon it's worth dropping AA &/or BA a note?
Was this flight on BA metal? If so what does AA have to do with anything?
enviroian is online now  
Old Apr 11, 17, 10:59 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
I'm thinking this flight simply -had- to be on AA metal (presumably with BA flight #)-- for a few reasons
chrisny2 likes this.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:01 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Posts: 49
Sorry if unclear

AA metal on a BA booking
Morph90 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:05 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,207
Originally Posted by Morph90 View Post
Thanks, I haven't yet but will.

Things like this don't tend to bother me, It's not worth getting upset about and wasting life on - but this guy riled me!
Yes, please do us a favor to drop a note to Customer Relations, and make sure you note the attitude of the purser. The sense of entitlement of these FAs continues to amaze me.
PaulInTheSky is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:06 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 4,122
Wow. I have had uninterested and sometimes surly crew. I have never had downright rude crew like that. I'd report the exchange (with flight number and description of the purser if you can) to AA.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:08 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Posts: 49
I have his name!

I will get in touch with AA today and report back.

Last edited by Morph90; Apr 11, 17 at 11:15 am
Morph90 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 217
People, airlines don't see passengers as human beings. ( see United)
You are nothing more than a seat filler and $.
And they treat you as such.
LANDJ999 is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,317
Originally Posted by LANDJ999 View Post
People, airlines don't see passengers as human beings. ( see United)
You are nothing more than a seat filler and $.
And they treat you as such.
A better description is self loading cargo.
arollins is offline  
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:26 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,734
Originally Posted by LANDJ999 View Post
People, airlines don't see passengers as human beings. ( see United)
You are nothing more than a seat filler and $.
And they treat you as such.
That's more of a bumpersticker than anything else. I certainly fly airlines where I -never- get that vibe at all, and, the United thing has taken on a life of its own, but is hardly typical, common or indicative.
JonNYC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: