Is AA really always this bad?

Old Apr 11, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Welcome, OP! Was your flight on a 777 by any chance? If so, sounds like the divider issue could be related to a quirk on those planes where it's locked in place:

More info here.

Privacy dividers between Business middle seats D and H were delivered not working properly. AA has dealt with this by "locking" D-H privacy dividers up, down or alternating with (usually) odd seat rows (facing forward) dividers down, even (facing aft) up. FAs can not change this; it is apparently done by maintenance crew. This is to be fixed, and has been on three hulls so far.
I would certainly report this to Customer Relations, but as others mentioned, definitely keep expectations low. I wouldn't say it's a common experience on AA, but I've experienced the same occasionally. I do JFK-LHR every few weeks and probably about 10-15% of my flights have an FA who is unfriendly/rude.

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Apr 11, 17 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 11, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by LANDJ999 View Post
People, airlines don't see passengers as human beings. ( see United)
You are nothing more than a seat filler and $.
And they treat you as such.
Maybe so, but I've encountered plenty of AA FAs who are dedicated to their jobs,and go above and beyond. There are also plenty who use flight time to catch up on magazines, but the OPs experience isn't normal and should be reported (with no expectation of a meaningful reply).
Old Apr 11, 17, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Morph90 View Post
I have his name!

I will get in touch with AA today and report back.
I recently reported a rude AA crew member (also on JFK-LHR) - who also just walked away when i politely asked for something I was entitled for (this was a near empty flight in Y). I didn't have her name and I slept through both the meal services so rest of service didn't matter to me. I got a call from AA to apologize.
Old Apr 11, 17, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks, I haven't yet but will.

Things like this don't tend to bother me, It's not worth getting upset about and wasting life on - but this guy riled me!
He sounded pretty rude and I would say it's not typical at all for AA especially on the JFK-LHR, where the service is usually at least proficient.

But yes on the 772s, the dividers may or may not come down depending which row you are sitting in and which aircraft that's flying.
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Silver
Was in Row 1 - so sounds like this is the case.

The crux is - if he had said - "Sorry the divider doesn't drop but it is being worked on" - no stress, issue over - things break!

Thanks for letting me know.

Right I've sent a note to AA

Thanks all.
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
This does appear to an one-off situation. I have always had good service from the purser - who has always helped when there was an issue - like my video not working in J. On JFK-LHR - I find the FA's do a good job, although they don't pamper.

If you want pampering FA's then you need to fly an airline where the FA's get fired once they reach age 35 - Asia and Middle East. On the Middle East airlines - the service is so good - since poor service would mean loss of their jobs. They hand out survey cards - since their performance is based on the rating of the customers.

Last edited by cova; Apr 11, 17 at 7:55 pm
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
No and yes

Was his name Willie?

To answer the question (Is AA always this bad?) No... and yes.

MrsDallas49er (EXP no more) has moved over to DL over a final episode with surly crew in J. Booked in February to EXP by July ... and gone. (And no, she isn't going to miss any of you, either!)
YMMV

Solution 1. Passengers in F & J should avoid senior bases (JFK, DFW, LAX), where they can be reasonably assured the crew will be generously populated by the old, the lazy, the tired, the angry at the world, the burned out, the grumpy, the pissed off, the don't give a **** FA's. These are bases where this is allowed to thrive and breed, and "management" can't/won't do anything about it. BUT WHY AS A PAYING PASSENGER SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THAT?

Solution 2. Instead-Eliminate the seniority system, install a meritocracy system system, where the the crews who ACTUALLY want to be there and DO THEIR JOB! get the best bids? Or have some kind of accountability? In either case, unions and senior FAs will certainly rear their ugly heads over that.

IMHO-They are very good at protecting those who deserve no protection, and leaving those who need it hanging in the wind. AA related-non-union carriers don't seem to have these issues.
YMMV

Last edited by Dallas49er; Apr 11, 17 at 3:24 pm
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, the divider is a problem, still. How long has it been? 2-3 years - unbelievable they can't fix it.

No, AA isn't always this bad, and sitting in F,J,Y doesn't seems to make a difference. I remember once I was lucky enough on a trip from NRT to DFW to witness the purser yell at a man who was stretching his legs (seat belt sign off) to get back to his seat as he tried to cross from one aisle to another through the galley. She continued to be belligerent when the man explained he had circulation issues. Unbelievable behavior, and I am so mad at myself for not complaining. Please do complain. That said, I estimate it at a solid 50/50 chance whether you get a rude crew member or someone indifferent (or even more rare - friendly).
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by cova View Post

If you want pampering FA's then you need to fly an airline whether the FA's get fired once they reach age 35 - Asia and Middle East. On the Middle East airlines - the service is so good - since poor service would mean loss of their jobs. They hand out survey cards - since their performance is based on the rating of the customers.
Another solution!
Old Apr 11, 17, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
AA is definitely not always bad, although it seems that crew morale has taken a nosedive once again as of late. You will find staff members who are rude and actively hostile, and unfortunately this seems most common on long-haul flights and in F and J.

We asked another crew member several minutes later - as we didn't have an answer, the purser overheard this and said from across the cabin “The answer hasn’t changed”
"You didn't answer the question"
"I had something more important to attend to"
"Is our question not important?"
"A question about a divider is never important, 1000s of people will take your seats if you don't want to fly"
"Is this how you speak to all your customers?"
"Are we going to have a problem here?"
"I just want to know if the divider goes down, is this the way you're going to treat me?"
"Yes, the problem doesn't change if you ask someone else, It will be fixed in 6 months, and not today"
Purser exits stage left
[bolding mine] It's exchanges like this that make me nervous and keep me from pushing back against a rude FA. All it takes is one burnt-out, slightly-crazy FA (yes, there are plenty of them out there) to get the flight diverted to Cold Bay over a request for a beverage refill. Going back and fourth with the purser is something I would not do, but that's just me. I just write in afterwards. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
Was his name Willie?

To answer the question (Is AA always this bad?) No... and yes.

MrsDallas49er (EXP no more) has moved over to DL over a final episode with surly crew in J. Booked in February to EXP by July ... and gone. (And no, she isn't going to miss any of you, either!)
YMMV

Solution 1. Passengers in F & J should avoid senior bases (JFK, DFW, LAX), where they can be reasonably assured the crew will be generously populated by the old, the lazy, the tired, the angry at the world, the burned out, the grumpy, the pissed off, the don't give a **** FA's. These are bases where this is allowed to thrive and breed, and "management" can't/won't do anything about it. BUT WHY AS A PAYING PASSENGER SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THAT?
How has your time been at DL? I remember there being some surly characters a while ago, but I've heard good things as of late.

As for avoiding DFW, LAX, and JFK, that's hard because it seems that all the flights I take go out of there. DFW, ORD, and LAX have all the TPAC flights, and for some reason these flights seem to attract some of the angriest battle axes I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. On a DFW-HKG flight, I remember actually feeling fortunate to be heading back to Y after hearing an FA yell at a passenger to read the menu. It's a 17-hour flight, so why is there a need for yelling?

I've had perfunctory to good crews on CLT-LHR flights. However, the shorter flight does not bode well for sleep.

Originally Posted by TAPAL10 View Post
No, AA isn't always this bad, and sitting in F,J,Y doesn't seems to make a difference. I remember once I was lucky enough on a trip from NRT to DFW to witness the purser yell at a man who was stretching his legs (seat belt sign off) to get back to his seat as he tried to cross from one aisle to another through the galley.
I got yelled at for walking to the aft galley to get some water one time. I was told that the "area was for flight attendants and not passengers." I thought to myself, "imagine how irate this FA would have been if I had pressed the call button and asked for some."
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:29 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
My default position use to be to back-up the FA if they reported an issue with a passenger, but as of late, many of them are over-reacting to trivial things that happen in the cabin. It's starting to get a bit out of hand, and not just with AA, but all carriers.

I can tell you this, as a pilot, we don't want to divert if it all possible, and I always try to fully understand the situation, before ever making that decisions. YMMV of course amongst crews. My advice, report any and all unreasonable behavior. We all have a job to do up there, and I have no patience for incompetent crew...
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
My advice would be to not respond to the Purser and his rude comments. Not that it's fair, but it's simply not worth the hassle in something trivial like this. Just take note of the situation and report him for his crappy service. There is no justification for him to act like that, and it's sad that FA's get snippy that quickly and throw around the "We going to have a problem?" card. Flying would be much better w/o the people like that guy... and it gives a bad name to all employees just because one decided to be an arse.

I am not proposing this as fact, but often times it really seems like the worst ones are the older one's who are worn out and disgruntled. It just seems to be the case in my personal opinion.
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
My default position use to be to back-up the FA if they reported an issue with a passenger, but as of late, many of them are over-reacting to trivial things that happen in the cabin. It's starting to get a bit out of hand, and not just with AA, but all carriers.

I can tell you this, as a pilot, we don't want to divert if it all possible, and I always try to fully understand the situation, before ever making that decisions. YMMV of course amongst crews. My advice, report any and all unreasonable behavior. We all have a job to do up there, and I have no patience for incompetent crew...
Thank you very much for this response.
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by arollins View Post
A better description is self loading cargo.
Last time I complained about unhelpful AA crew on a TATL flight, customer service brushed me off with 30,000 AAdvantage miles. I wanted to escalate the issue, but wanted the 30,000 miles. I figured that even if I escalated it to the then AA CEO(prior to the merger), nothing would have been done anyway.
Old Apr 11, 17, 4:03 pm

Bearing in mind that 99% of the time, exchanges between FT posters and flight crew are, consciously or subconsciously, cleaned by the poster to favor their point of view, I'd say that the OP was arguing with the wrong person.

The OP asked a simple question: How do I deal with this divider?

The OP got the correct answer: You don't. It doesn't work the way it should.

Op then wanted...what exactly? A cute little "we so sowwy" cake baked in the shape of a heart? What was the point of pressing the issue at this point? What was the FA supposed to do? Take out a cordless saw-z-all and cut the divider down for the OP?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: