Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW - 5 Star vs Centurion vs AA lounge(s)?

DFW - 5 Star vs Centurion vs AA lounge(s)?

Old Apr 10, 17, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Question DFW - 5 Star vs Centurion vs AA lounge(s)?

Hello, all! I'm hoping some of you more seasoned AA travelers can help me with this one. I've read through the DFW wiki, as well as numerous lounge-related threads, but I could use some clarification and advice.

I will be connecting through DFW on a CUN-IND itinerary, business / first, with two other travelers on the same itinerary. (If it matters at all for the logistics, we're booked via AA Vacations, and not a third party site.) We have a four hour layover, so barring any major crisis at Customs, we should have some time to burn. Options are:

* AA Five Star Service - most expensive, but within the budget. Would the included lounge access be to the Admirals Club, or the Flagship Lounge?

* Amex Centurion - we each have an Amex card, so I believe we could pay for one day guest passes, assuming there's availability. Any thoughts on how busy / full the lounge is on Saturday afternoon / early evening?

* Admirals Club or Flagship - I know that since we're in "domestic" first, we won't have comp access to either one. Is it possible to buy one day guest passes to either or both of these, on this itinerary?

Any opinions on which would be the best of the above? One of my travelmates is funding the majority of the trip, so I'd like to buy us all a bit of luxury during the layover. Thanks!!
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
There is no Flagship lounge at DFW.

How long is your layover? Unless it's really long, my suggestion would be that that those dollars spent to buy into a lounge would probably be more interestingly deployed in CUN.
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you, BSE. I must be losing my mind - I could swear I read that DFW has a (relatively new) Flagship. The layover is four hours, which seemed long enough to check out options...

From what I've been able to find online, there is no Admirals Club at CUN. The only thing I've found is an independent "VIP Lounge" - and the pictures of that aren't exactly awe inspiring, haha.
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by IndyMischa View Post
Hello, all! I'm hoping some of you more seasoned AA travelers can help me with this one. I've read through the DFW wiki, as well as numerous lounge-related threads, but I could use some clarification and advice.

I will be connecting through DFW on a CUN-IND itinerary, business / first, with two other travelers on the same itinerary. (If it matters at all for the logistics, we're booked via AA Vacations, and not a third party site.) We have a four hour layover, so barring any major crisis at Customs, we should have some time to burn. Options are:

* AA Five Star Service - most expensive, but within the budget. Would the included lounge access be to the Admirals Club, or the Flagship Lounge?

* Amex Centurion - we each have an Amex card, so I believe we could pay for one day guest passes, assuming there's availability. Any thoughts on how busy / full the lounge is on Saturday afternoon / early evening?

* Admirals Club or Flagship - I know that since we're in "domestic" first, we won't have comp access to either one. Is it possible to buy one day guest passes to either or both of these, on this itinerary?

Any opinions on which would be the best of the above? One of my travelmates is funding the majority of the trip, so I'd like to buy us all a bit of luxury during the layover. Thanks!!
There are some pretty nice restaurants at DFW. I would spend the money on those, personally. I rather liked Whitetail Bistro in Terminal D last time I was through there. I had the tri-tip sandwich and the local beer on tap.

http://kentrathbun.com/whitetail-bistro/

There are other options as well, including a full on steakhouse.
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
There is no Flagship lounge at DFW.
While not a full-on lounge, there is a dining room inside the DFW D lounge. I'm not exactly sure who gets access or how...but there is an agent who stands guard near the entrance.
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
If you want a lounge, get the Amex Centurion lounge. Great food, great alcohol, and a great chance to get a 15 minute massage or manicure (first come first serve list need at least 2 hours to have a good shot at one).
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you! Please keep the thoughts and advice coming!!
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by IndyMischa View Post
The only thing I've found is an independent "VIP Lounge" - and the pictures of that aren't exactly awe inspiring, haha.
They're both perfunctory lounges. Rail drinks, minimal snacks and for the T3 lounge, minimal space. Last time I left CUN I just went to a restaurant.

Echoing others here though, if you have to pay for the Centurion lounge it's not worth it. Take your party's $150 and spend it on a good meal somewhere in the terminal.
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:52 pm

I would stick with AA lounge just if you get an IROP. I have been boarded and offloaded at DFW and able to watch the work on my flight from the AA lounge. No need for me to bother the CSRs as I could see when the work was finished.
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
The Flagship,dining is for international First Class and Exec Platinums flying on an international flight (not Canada or Mexico). Some of the DFW AA clubs are going thru renovation right now and are very crowded. Terminal D is large and spacious with plenty of dining options as others have said. One of my favorite treats when I have plenty of time is III Forks (3 forks) restaurant https://www.3forks.com/dfw/menu/ around D25. Its one level up and has a private like feel to it overlooking the terminal. IT's a high end steakhouse and is excellent and leisurely way to spend some time. Enjoy your layover!
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

That 3 Forks menu is making me hungry!! Thank you for that link!
Old Apr 10, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
If you've got free access to the Centurion Lounge, then it's a no-brainer. If you'd have to pay, I'd probably still opt for that over the free Admirals Club (better free food, better free booze, plus a free massage is worth $50 to me). But everyone's budgeting choices are different in that regard, so that one's your call.
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:52 pm

Suggest Read this:
http://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, UA Silver, Marriot Plat
First Class Dining at DFW is temporary and somewhat of a joke. Not a nice meal at all. And in a room with no windows.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
If all I had was 2-hour layover, I'd have a wonderful meal at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen near gate A25.

But, since you have four hours, I'd go to the Centurion Lounge. Good food, signature drinks, spa services and even a chance to shower. Plus, lots of different areas to relax, read and converse.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: