Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Phantom Award Availability Issues with AA Partners

A number of members report "phantom" award availability using partners' websites to search for AAdvantage awards. BA may have the most reports, but that could be because it's used more than JL or QF. Try using other partner web sites, or one of the travel tools, ExpertFlyer (offers five day trial periods) or KVS.

See:
[b]oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
and
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion
Print Wikipost

Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I'm seeing the same same for SFO-HEL next june. All the way though and then it says sorry not available.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
Another interesting thing about AY awards - when I search ORD-HEL availability it offers me ORD-SFO on AS and SFO-HEL on AY. Not to mention they are phantom, but is it even an allowed route in terms of MPM?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
no AY flights are bookable on AA.com. Availability is shown, but when you want to book and confirm the same page replicates itself. Wake up AA--your website sucks.
Not QUITE true...I flew BACK from CDG via HEL and HKG with AY and QF a few weeks ago on an AA miles booking.... but sifting through the 98% of unbookable itineraries to find that ONE that worked was such a PITA....
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Yes, I have wasted an hour investigating this. Most of AY availability is phantom especially for long haul J.
Trying to book an award ex-HEL and running into the same problem here.

AA.com shows different availability from AY.com. Most if not all availability that AA.com shows isn't really there.

So I'm thinking AY.com shows the right availability. I find the dates I want and then head back to the AA website to type in those dates that I saw available on AY.com. And no luck, it still doesn't work on AA.com.

So on top of the phantom availability issue, is award availability (U class) different depending on which airline's miles you want to book with?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Has anyone found a work-around for this, or any way to distinguish phantom AY availability from the real thing? Is there even such thing as AY availability on longhaul J

Originally Posted by Happy
Seems impossible to find AY seats not even in coach? Encounter error on each click.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
This is the best piece of advice here regarding the phantom AY award availability issue. I've booked quite a few AY award segments over the past 6 months, and actual AA availability always matches what BA shows for an Avios booking on AY.

-FlyerBeek
November and this issue persists... awards shown on BA are NOT bookable on AA.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by njvandy
Has anyone found a work-around for this, or any way to distinguish phantom AY availability from the real thing? Is there even such thing as AY availability on longhaul J
1) Search BA.COM for non-stop AY routes.
2) Call AA. The agents should be able to see correct availability. At least ExecPlat desk did this for me in the past.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is this still the case? Just saw JFK-HEL-LHR (I know, but I prefer a longer tatl to sleep) in J and haven't got the time to waste on the phone if it's likely just phantom availability. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by lostinlondon
Is this still the case? Just saw JFK-HEL-LHR (I know, but I prefer a longer tatl to sleep) in J and haven't got the time to waste on the phone if it's likely just phantom availability. Thanks!
The problem is continuing. I have been trying to book AY biz from SFO to HEL for next August for the past month. I have called the AA help desk numerous times and have found them to be of no help. I am starting to think there is something intentional going on. For example, AA might be trying to make it look like there is more availability for booking with points when in fact there is not. I can't think of any other explanation. Otherwise, how difficult would it be for them to fix this problem which has persisted for over one year, and of which they have been informed many times? Have not tried the BA solution but I will do that. In general, I have not had much success using AA points for flights anywhere. I accumulated a large number of points a few years ago, and then relocated to Asia where I was flying SG and not trying to use AA points. Back in the U.S. now and trying to use my large bank of AA points/miles for biz class flights anywhere. Finally coughed up 220,000 points for flight to Buenos Aires, but could find no saver fares to anywhere in South America. Very disappointed that this large bank of AA points is starting to look worthless.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:59 pm

Problem still persists today....
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by garygleck
I just booked SEA-SFO(AS)-HEL-LJB. Website showed availability wouldn't let me book I think because the first segment was economy downgrade but no problem once I called.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
problem is still there

Originally Posted by garygleck
I saw WAW-HEL-SFO on AA website for last couple days, tried to book and kept getting message in green narrow bar above the flight choice:
"The flight you selected is no longer available. Please modify your request."

Called Customer Support, after half an hour pointless conversation including wild ideas ("system is being updated this is the reason") was directed to "Resolution department" to describe the problem, at that time I gave up.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:29 am

A lot of talk about phantom AY award space. I'm currently looking to book award space on Iberia - ExpertFlyer shows two awards available when searching IB, BA.com shows two seats available. AA.com and phone agents only see one. Does this have nothing to do with phantom space, but rather IB gives out more awards to its own members and BA members than it does to other OW partners like AA?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm used to seeing phantom awards for AY on AA.com but today was the first time I saw some for BA. AA.com showed two F seats for BOS-LHR on 6/29/19 and when I went to book them they didn't exist. EF confirmed as such. Real pain and a waste of time, AA.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I see 0 seats when searching AY seats JFK-HEL, but of course AA.com shows it. I went to confirm, and it went through. Of course, there is that 24 hour for partner to process caveat, but if it goes through, that is interesting that EF didn't show it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.