Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

Old Apr 10, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by YtravelF View Post
You should be able to rebook yourself during IRROPS by this summer in the app (if all goes according to schedule).
If that is accurate and ends up happening, then I retract my statement of how crappy the app is. That feature alone makes the app 100% better. Baby steps, AA.
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Ritz-Carlton Gold; SPG Gold
The "Manage Trip" option also now replicates what you see in the browser. So you can pre-order meals, etc.
Old Apr 10, 17, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
At least for me the 'upgrade list' no longer shows up in the App (when I'm looking at my current flight, like this morning). I had to go to flight status to get to the button to bring up the list.
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
at least there is a pretty picture now of a lush green meadow in the background
Is it? I was thinking it was a picture of the Amazon River.
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by YtravelF View Post
You should be able to rebook yourself during IRROPS by this summer in the app (if all goes according to schedule).
Man I hope this is true......
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by bustraveler View Post
It's still such a crappy app compared to UA and DL. AA's inability to put out a user friendly app with functionality confuses me. It's not hard. Basic - booking flights within the app. Nope, takes you to the website. #goingforgreatmyass
Agree. The fact that you cannot easily book flights in the app like on DL and UA makes no sense. I've started booking simple AA routing flights using the expedia app b/c it stores my CC and I can do it in three swipes. I wish AA would store my CC number and make it easy for me to buy their product! Also anyone under 30 is digital native and mobile first. They need to up their game.

Other wish list improvement:

+Abilitly to check AAward seats
+fixing the disappearing upgrade lists
+native seatmaps (not going to aa.com which happens alot)
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:19 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Thread title is misleading. The app is more like "updated" instead of "upgraded".
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
"updated"
Did you mean "outdated"

Old Apr 10, 17, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CNMAZ View Post
Well, since upgrading the app to the newest version, it has done nothing. When I start it, it gives me an error that the app stopped working but if it even gets past that point, it is just a black screen. Tried updating Andriod, tried removing and then reinstalling app. So, I am not updating my wife's phone and I'm stuck without an app.

Well, after reading the most recent reviews of the app on Google Play, there are a lot of reviews reporting the same issue that I am experiencing. Hopefully they resolve it soon, I have a lot of travel coming up in a few weeks and it would be useful to have a working app.
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Originally Posted by BUR.LAX View Post
Agreed. Unfortunate but not surprising that the latest update is largely cosmetic, with little (or even less) functionality. The iOS app is adequate, as is AA.com, and that's probably all you can say about AA's investment in their IT.

I do like the new green background though; the visual contrast is pleasing.
Yes, the new background is nice, but it might get boring if isn't changed before the next major app update ;-)

They've removed the navigation drawer, and there's no obvious way to force an update to a booking. Very strange.
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CNMAZ View Post
Well, after reading the most recent reviews of the app on Google Play, there are a lot of reviews reporting the same issue that I am experiencing. Hopefully they resolve it soon, I have a lot of travel coming up in a few weeks and it would be useful to have a working app.
Well, to be fair, it is highly debatable whether there has ever been a working app...
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA EXP DFW-LON View Post
Agree the new iOS app is nothing special. Most frustrating, you can now NOT change seat assignments in-app within 45 minutes of scheduled departure. This is non-sensical why they would restrict this in the new app.

AA if you are reading this, please put it back. Why force travelers to go to Agents to change something that you can just as easily change via the App? Doing this would free up Agents to focus on more important things.
I thought that issue was that GA takes control of the seatmap and thus all changes are locked out at that point. I've had issues with AA more then OALs with this. They seem to lock it out sooner and leave it locked till departyre time more often.
Old Apr 11, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Best Buy Elite, Starbucks Gold, Sweetgreen Green
Yes, that's been my experience. I could change US seats much closer to departure I thought, but AA has always seemed to have a lock out very soon after the GA arrives at the podium.
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I keep having to log out and log back in just to see the upgrade list for flights at T4.

Anytime I close the app and reopen it to look again, I have to log back out and log back in.

Well done, AA.
Old Apr 12, 17, 4:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
I keep having to log out and log back in just to see the upgrade list for flights at T4.

Anytime I close the app and reopen it to look again, I have to log back out and log back in.

Well done, AA.
Are you logging/signing out when you close the app?

I simply swipe the app closed. When I reopen the app, I do not have to sign in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: