Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by controller1
If I want to change seats on one of my reservations, it takes me to the website. It has an international flight, so I don't know if that's the reason or not.
I have a SAN-MCO trip next month on an AA ticketed itinerary. The outbound is a code share on AS and the returns are on AA metal. In the app, even if I select one of the AA legs, trying to change seats on that particular leg, still gives a prompt that it will take me to the AA website to do so.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The app is crAAp
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
its lipstick on a pig, many of the screens still take you to the old ui or the website.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:43 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Rebob
iOS version updated for me last night. Version 5.0.0.5675.
Same. Can confirm no new functionality added to this app (since about 2012 —
or that's certainly what it feels like).
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:44 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Very disappointing update to the app. It also made a boarding pass disappear today.

Truly a POS as apps go IMHO.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
I wish they would've made the update to where you can add all your boarding passes at one time like Delta's app does. I like that feature.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
I think the negative comments about the app primarily reflect the uselessness of AA's app compared to other major airlines.
Agreed. Unfortunate but not surprising that the latest update is largely cosmetic, with little (or even less) functionality. The iOS app is adequate, as is AA.com, and that's probably all you can say about AA's investment in their IT.

I do like the new green background though; the visual contrast is pleasing.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
No, I do not have any connection to the developer of the app.

We all have different likes and dislikes. I like the changes made to the app, plain and simple.

I posted about the changes because I wanted to share my opinion.

I never anticipated that my post would produce such negative comments about the app. I also never anticipated that I would be assumed to be connected to the developer of the app.

I wonder if the negativism expressed about AA's app is related to the awful demotions and devaluations made to AA's service and loyalty program.

Nonetheless, I still like the changes made to AA's app. I don’t like the changes made to AA’s service and loyalty program.

-
To be honest, part of the reason I wondered is because when I asked what the changes were, you didn't reply with any answer, just to go take a look.

I actually did find a change I like - now there is the manage trip link under a reservation that deep links you to the mobile aa.com site where you can easily click same day change (not that it ever works for me online, but that's a different complaint). Saves me the hassle of going to my phone browser, logging in, then finding the reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:40 pm

Well, since upgrading the app to the newest version, it has done nothing. When I start it, it gives me an error that the app stopped working but if it even gets past that point, it is just a black screen. Tried updating Andriod, tried removing and then reinstalling app. So, I am not updating my wife's phone and I'm stuck without an app.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I actually did find a change I like - now there is the manage trip link under a reservation that deep links you to the mobile aa.com site where you can easily click same day change (not that it ever works for me online, but that's a different complaint). Saves me the hassle of going to my phone browser, logging in, then finding the reservation.
Ha! Sad but true; SDC hardly ever works for me online, and I've gotten tired of phone agents telling me I can "only do it at the airport" -- a frustrating answer when what I wanted was to catch a *later* flight.

Thanks for pointing out the manage-trip link, which I didn't notice at first. ^ It does save those annoying extra steps.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Agreed that AA is dead last. However what can you expect for an airline that doesn't even do instant ticketing keying in 2017.
Hah! Experiencing this firsthand, as it's been several hours and I'm still waiting for an itinerary for tomorrow to be ticketed so that I can check-in. And I'm on attempt #4 for trying to request a refund for another ticket that just doesn't seem to stick. These features are seamless with other airlines, but better that AA spend the resources on reshuffling some icons in the app instead...

As for UA/DL I find each has their own strengths. However I wouldn't classify UA as being miles ahead of DL. You can just as easily do a SDC using DL app.
I do like some aspects of the Delta app, although I have yet to figure out SDC -- do I click the "Change" link in the Flight Details section or somewhere else? And it only seems to work before check-in, but not after? But that's why I still prefer the United app overall, it seems much more intuitive and simpler to use IMO (the big "Switch to another flight" banner helps... ).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
If it makes anyone here feel better, I am having the same issues with the "updgraded" iOS app.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ellinj
its lipstick on a pig, many of the screens still take you to the old ui or the website.
+1, especially for booking flights. Why would I use the slow in-app browser if I will be dealing with the AA mobile website? I should be able to book directly from the app and have all of my info pre-filled in. Unreal that they can't get this right.

It really is just a cosmetic makeover - all of the underlying functionality is still the same old crap.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
+1, especially for booking flights. Why would I use the slow in-app browser if I will be dealing with the AA mobile website? I should be able to book directly from the app and have all of my info pre-filled in. Unreal that they can't get this right.

It really is just a cosmetic makeover - all of the underlying functionality is still the same old crap.
at least there is a pretty picture now of a lush green meadow in the background
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
You should be able to rebook yourself during IRROPS by this summer in the app (if all goes according to schedule).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.