FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Search engine for multi-city AND multi fare classes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1833777-search-engine-multi-city-multi-fare-classes.html)

maxwellh Apr 3, 2017 9:38 am

Search engine for multi-city AND multi fare classes?

I'm trying to figure out if there is a search engine for AA/BA with which I can look at a multi-city routing using different fare classes for outbound and inbound flights.

Example: I'm looking to price out AUS-FRA; CPH-AUS. I'd like to go outbound on economy, but the return (on BA metal) has what appear to be "friendly" fares in WT+ or CW.

If I use BA or AA's website, I can't cherry pick different classes of flights on a multi-city (though I can if I build as "straight" / non multi-city round trip). Matrix gives me the same problem, but at least I can look at how the fare is built on the final screen.

I still can't really build a fare (including the pile of taxes required) this way. The only way I know how is to call the airline directly and get them to price it out for me. So I'm wondering, is there either a sneaky way to do this in one of these search engines, or is there another search engine out there that

andox Apr 3, 2017 9:51 am

If you know the specific fare class you want for each portion of the multi-city, you can use this code in the Advanced Routing box in Matrix. /f bc= then the fare class. Example:

AUS-FRA
AA+ /f bc=o

CPH-AUS
BA+ /f bc=t

Multiple fare classes can be specified by repeating the code /f bc= so I guess you could specify all fare classes for economy on the outbound, and for premium economy and business on the inbound.

sosfo Apr 3, 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by andox (Post 28123159)
Multiple fare classes can be specified by repeating the code /f bc= so I guess you could specify all fare classes for economy on the outbound, and for premium economy and business on the inbound.

One small clarification to this. Multiple fare codes requires a vertical bar between commands since the backslash is a terminal string in the syntax. The /f is the terminal command and the vertical bars add variables in that command. It's why you can't look for fare classes and alliances simultaneously. Example:

/f bc=s|bc=q|bc=o

Edit: the site keeps removing the vertical bar in my example so I used exclamation points. Sorry, that's weird.

teemuflyer Apr 3, 2017 3:55 pm

Recently I had a survey appear on google/flights, probably because I use it quite frequently.. Anyway, the fact that one can't do mixed cabin class searches on outbound vs inbound flights was the "complaint" I submitted about the usability. I mean there a lot of times where I prefer to have Biz on the nighttime flight, but PE on the return daytime flight to save some $'s since I'm not going to sleep anyway.

It shouldn't be too difficult for them to implement, for crying out loud :p

oaken Apr 4, 2017 3:46 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 28124929)
Recently I had a survey appear on google/flights, probably because I use it quite frequently.. Anyway, the fact that one can't do mixed cabin class searches on outbound vs inbound flights was the "complaint" I submitted about the usability. I mean there a lot of times where I prefer to have Biz on the nighttime flight, but PE on the return daytime flight to save some $'s since I'm not going to sleep anyway.

It shouldn't be too difficult for them to implement, for crying out loud :p

Yeah, one would think that Google of all companies would be far better qualified to do this than AA/BA.

maxwellh Jun 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by oaken (Post 28126877)
Yeah, one would think that Google of all companies would be far better qualified to do this than AA/BA.

Funny...I just saw this thread that I'd posted from a couple years ago, and it seems like nothing has changed. AA is relatively functional when it comes to doing multi-cabin ticketing, and they can even pull off multi-city/multi-cabin ticketing most of the time. BA will work for either multi-city OR multi-cabin, but not both. Google is capable of doing multi-city, but seems incapable of multi-cabin, and it's wonderful for doing open-ended destinations, but I can't seem to trick it into doing open-ended originations. Matrix can do multi-cabin, and it works great (i.e. you can do calendar searches with it) if your'e set up as a fairly straightforward round trip--even with multiple cities in your search. Matrix can even do multi-city multi-cabin, but it can be cumbersome, and I feel like it often yields inaccurate results--even then, you're still limited to doing specific dates (or the old +/- one day thing).

So I'll ask this question again two years later--are there any services I'm missing for fare hunting? Here's my dream (and yes...I realize that this is a very choosy beggar dream): I'd love to be able to do an open-ended origination, a closed-end destination, a duration, an open-ended calendar, and "fuzzy" cabin selection (e.g. "United States" to BKK for 1 night in the next 6 months in Business in one direction and Premium Economy the other). Maybe that's too much for a search engine to parse, but Google seems capable of doing a good chunk of that (not so much that complex cabin selection) but only with a "set" origination (or up to 5 of them).

teemuflyer Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by maxwellh (Post 31212575)
Funny...I just saw this thread that I'd posted from a couple years ago, and it seems like nothing has changed. AA is relatively functional when it comes to doing multi-cabin ticketing, and they can even pull off multi-city/multi-cabin ticketing most of the time. BA will work for either multi-city OR multi-cabin, but not both. Google is capable of doing multi-city, but seems incapable of multi-cabin, and it's wonderful for doing open-ended destinations, but I can't seem to trick it into doing open-ended originations. Matrix can do multi-cabin, and it works great (i.e. you can do calendar searches with it) if your'e set up as a fairly straightforward round trip--even with multiple cities in your search. Matrix can even do multi-city multi-cabin, but it can be cumbersome, and I feel like it often yields inaccurate results--even then, you're still limited to doing specific dates (or the old +/- one day thing).

So I'll ask this question again two years later--are there any services I'm missing for fare hunting? Here's my dream (and yes...I realize that this is a very choosy beggar dream): I'd love to be able to do an open-ended origination, a closed-end destination, a duration, an open-ended calendar, and "fuzzy" cabin selection (e.g. "United States" to BKK for 1 night in the next 6 months in Business in one direction and Premium Economy the other). Maybe that's too much for a search engine to parse, but Google seems capable of doing a good chunk of that (not so much that complex cabin selection) but only with a "set" origination (or up to 5 of them).

I'm with you. I can't believe someone like google/flights hasn't figured this out. My main beef continues to be mixed cabin fare searches across all OW airlines. Should be simple enough.