Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 5:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JDiver
I personally doubt Avios awards will be upgradable on AA.
Doesn't AA provide "domestic" upgrades to AA elites on AA-coded-and-operated flights on BA-ticket stock? Then there is no reason to expect that BA-issued award tickets for AA flights should be excluded from this from the start of a published policy for such benefit.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I guess part of me wonders if the system would even know the difference (i.e. a CK or EP traveling on -T-, no flag as to how that ticket was issued,) but, I have zero reason to know either way.
That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure I read of someone successfully getting an upgrade on an avios ticket - not that that means anything
Old May 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wouldn't surprise me at all if AA's IT systems couldn't differentiate
Old May 16, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
date announced

It starts Saturday, May 20th

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/aadvantage-program-updates.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=program updates

the page also discusses changes to the order of processing upgrades, which is probably for another thread.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrock

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...programupdates

the page also discusses changes to the order of processing upgrades, which is probably for another thread.
Couple stories about it I already saw via Twitter.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....mestic-awards/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/hug...-upgrade-list/
Old May 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure I read of someone successfully getting an upgrade on an avios ticket - not that that means anything
That may have been me; and if not, it has happened to me, just once, before (although many instances of getting the upgrade on AA).

I really do appreciate this benefit. It makes it significantly more valuable for me to use my miles instead of buying a last-minute ticket -- especially when a Citi reduced mileage award is available.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
These may become more widespread when the new upgrade priority system (status followed by rolling EQD spend over last 365 days) takes effect May 20. (Separate thread discussing this.)
Old May 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by adambrock

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...programupdates

Just got my email from AA on the topic with the start date of May 20th.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:23 pm

"You can also upgrade 1 companion traveling on the same flight. This benefit applies if just 1 or both of you are traveling on an award ticket."

I assume we have to call to book this and can't mix paid and award travel online?
Old May 16, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Am I reading this correctly? An EXP on an award ticket will be upgraded ahead of a PLT on a revenue ticket? This seems contrary to how UA upgrade works, where if you are a 1K on an award ticket, your upgrade priority is after every elite that is traveling on a revenue ticket.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Am I reading this correctly? An EXP on an award ticket will be upgraded ahead of a PLT on a revenue ticket? This seems contrary to how UA upgrade works, where if you are a 1K on an award ticket, your upgrade priority is after every elite that is traveling on a revenue ticket.
This is correct, EXP award upgrades are ahead of Plat Pro, Plat and Gold revenue ticket upgrades.

If someone has already mentioned this, my apology, but one reason this appears to have been done from my view is to allow AA to continue to not offer little/any domestic saver inventory in premium classes. I believe AA economy saver is still relatively available, so EXPs are getting the equivalent of saver premium inventory again. Yes I understand this is not the same (especially with just one companion and the requirement to use not for free e500s for companion), but I think the tradeoff of mileage savings is not too bad. Bad for everyone else obviously, but I don't see AA going back unless something severe happens to demand. Perhaps a domestic/Europe laptop ban might cause a result in these award inventory cutbacks, but it isn't like the other carriers can offer a better laptop option.

Rasheed
Old May 16, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Here's the main thread on the new changes to upgrade priority. Including award ticket upgrades.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2017-a-6.html
Old May 17, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I've gotten many EXP upgrades on BA Avios bookings since late-2015. Just need to know how to request. I see no reason to believe the technical capability to do this will change with implementation of the new AA award upgrade policy, but who knows.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 17, 2017, 3:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Thread title has been updated to reflect actual start date of the stated benefit.

~Moderator
Old May 17, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
How and when to request the CK or Exp upgrade on an award ticket?

How and when to request the CK or Exp upgrade on an award ticket?

Currently on an award ticket for May 21, but there is no request or requested upgrade indicator in the reservation record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.