Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:19 am

As a Plat, on two recent domestic coach award flights i was asked by ticket agents if i wanted to use my 500 mile stickers to upgrade my coach award ticket.

I had inquired about volunteering if they were oversold, and the TA said while they were over, they'd end up moving elites up to first to accommodate everyone and they wouldn't have to issue any VDB vouchers. Since that would happen free if they needed me, and I had a good coach seat I picked, I opted not to use my 500's.

I even pointed out that I was on a coach award ticket and how could i upgrade it, and she said it wouldn't be a problem. I didn't take that to mean it's a new "policy" as much as just being lenient, but still it seems something has changed, even for non Exec Plats

Last edited by LovePrunes; May 9, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Later this month, barring any unexpected issues. Agents are already being trained. There will be a new upgrade priority level for award tickets.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That

is

the

answer.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sensei
Later this month, barring any unexpected issues. Agents are already being trained. There will be a new upgrade priority level for award tickets.
Yup, hearing the same from multiple sources this week ^
Old May 9, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Where will these fall in the priority order?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Does anyone know if these upgrades will be extended to (a) companions of EXPs flying with them, or (b) individuals booked with miles from the EXPs account, but not necessarily flying with them?
Old May 9, 2017, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
Does anyone know if these upgrades will be extended to (a) companions of EXPs flying with them, or (b) individuals booked with miles from the EXPs account, but not necessarily flying with them?
Certainly not the latter.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Certainly not the latter.
Will these be available for international mile saver tickets on AA as well using
SWU ? I have a trip coming up in T class and wondering if I can request
an upgrade with SWU :-)
Old May 10, 2017, 6:42 am

No chance.

Originally Posted by flyalways
Will these be available for international mile saver tickets on AA as well using
SWU ? I have a trip coming up in T class and wondering if I can request
an upgrade with SWU :-)
Old May 10, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Big time perk. Thanks AA.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I flew from DFW to SJC on May 14, 2017 on a milesaaver award. I was paged at the gate and the agent said that she noticed I was not on the upgrade list and did I want to be added. I asked if I had a chance and she handed me a new boarding pass for first. When I returned from SJC to DFW on May 15, 2017, I asked at the check-in counter and was told that I needed to call the Executive Platinum desk or ask at the gate. I noticed that no one on the airport upgrade list had cleared so I called the ExPlat number and asked. I was told that I could change my award ticket to a first class one or stay in coach. I said thank you and hung up. I checked at the gate and was told that I could not be added to the upgrade list because I was on an award ticket. I had a exit row window so I did not argue. Two passengers cleared the list. When boarding was announced, I was the only person in Group 2. My seat was fine and the middle seat stayed vacant. I had my complimentary drink and turkey sandwich; they were offered to me so I did not have to beg.

I may be flying tomorrow on an award ticket and am curious about what will happen when I ask about the upgrade. If I fly, I will post an update.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

There will be a new upgrade priority code for award tickets that are UDU eligible. Upgrade priority below all paid tickets at the respective status level (CK or EP), I believe.

Originally Posted by asf-07
Where will these fall in the priority order?
Old May 15, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Big time perk.
I don't see this as much of a perk...but the likelihood that I will use my miles AA miles on AA flights that are eligible for this benefit seems pretty small
Old May 15, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by 869
I don't see this as much of a perk...but the likelihood that I will use my miles AA miles on AA flights that are eligible for this benefit seems pretty small
Is this limited to flights booked with AA miles? Any indication that a flight booked with avios wouldn't be eligible?
Old May 16, 2017, 12:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Is this limited to flights booked with AA miles? Any indication that a flight booked with avios wouldn't be eligible?
I personally doubt Avios awards will be upgradable on AA.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
I personally doubt Avios awards will be upgradable on AA.
I guess part of me wonders if the system would even know the difference (i.e. a CK or EP traveling on -T-, no flag as to how that ticket was issued,) but, I have zero reason to know either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.