Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

EXP and CK now eligible for domestic upgrade (UDU) on award ticket

Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:07 pm

Hmm, so is this in any way related to this guy and his "Mysterious Fortuitous Changes" that happen after an AAgent tells him that they can't be done? Or am I connecting similarly-vague, but nonexistent dots?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Since that's the actual policy, I'd expect nothing else.
True that.

Based upon the verbiage in the thread opening by OP:

Reports have been read of Executive Platinum members (and ConciergeKey members, who also have EP status) who have been offered and been able to successfully request and receive upgrades whilst flying on "domestic" award tickets. (Not applicable to Platinum Pro.)

I decided to call and request to see what happened.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
EXP upgrades on award tickets?

Does anyone know when this is suppose to start? They make all these "enhancements" l however take forever to implement. I'm on a flight today and not on the list or any option to request.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by william142
Does anyone know when this is suppose to start? They make all these "enhancements" l however take forever to implement. I'm on a flight today and not on the list or any option to request.
Did you ask at the gate, as implied above?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
- In my experience many of AA GAs are simply not properly trained. You come, you ask, and, perhaps, you will be upgraded.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:01 pm

FYI YMMV

Flying today on a 12.5K ticket as an EXP

Asked in the Admirals Club #1 , they had no idea. An agent who knows me well, checked and the answer was "later in 2017".

Went to gate and was being paged. "Ive got your upgrade" Given new boarding pass @ 2A. She said "I even called the AC" and "this is ridiculous as EXP" Flight 1/2 full in F

Checked in at an at Admirals Club in CLT for second flight. " NOPE" Do they not have the most clueless agents? Not just today but repeatedly clueless.

Went to gate and asked. She said "I can't clear you at the moment" Stepped back and my name was suddenly #1 of 10. First two cleared in seconds, flight oversold.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fridge5
... An agent who knows me well, checked and the answer was "later in 2017".
That

is

the

answer.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like "it's on"...
Trust no one, expect nothing, ask for everything, and hope for anything, lol...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:11 pm

But

Shecalledcorporate and the answer was "later"
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fridge5
Shecalledcorporate and the answer was "later"
In this case it was "later in the day"...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This whole situation makes me wonder, is this happening just lately, in preparation of rolling out the new benefit, or has this also been happening in the past?

Have EXPs been asking and getting random upgrades on award tickets before 2017? Any reports?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
This whole situation makes me wonder, is this happening just lately, in preparation of rolling out the new benefit, or has this also been happening in the past?

Have EXPs been asking and getting random upgrades on award tickets before 2017? Any reports?
Nothing new.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by oaken
What's the point if they can't earn the 500 mile upgrades?
They can buy them. They could also have earned them before they made EXP.
The upgrades do not expire.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Originally Posted by mvoight
They can buy them. They could also have earned them before they made EXP.
The upgrades do not expire.
An EXP doesn't have to use 500 mile upgrades to upgrade these flights. It says complimentary 500 mile upgrades just like it is on a regular ticket, they are still considered 500 mile upgrades but are comped for EXP. You will for a companion though.

Also, this is BS they put a carrot out and probably won't have it implemented officially till the end of the year... another "enhancement"!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
As of this weekend (4/09) it hasn't been implemented officially yet, but I did have good success requesting at the airport, from gate agents. One agent mentioned that it was suppose to have been implemented in March, but didn't end up happening.

Ticketed in T, DSM-DFW-BRO and back. Upgrade processed as R. All flights had plenty of J availability, with only ever 1 or 2 pax on the airport upgrade list.

For DFW-DSM, asked at the DFW re-booking center about being added to the upgrade list. The agent put me on it, but then noticed it was an award flight, and mentioned that she didn't want to "get in trouble", and had her colleague help her take me off it. Tried again at the gate, with again no problems.

My recommendation for other EXP is to arrive at the airport early, and request to be added to the list. At least until they implement UDU for award tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.