Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

265,000 award miles for $4,786.88; worth it? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

265,000 award miles for $4,786.88; worth it? (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
If you intend to book an award flight right now or in the very near future and you're short some miles for the award then, and only then, would any promotion for buying miles make sense. Otherwise if you don't need to topup your account for a near term award then buying miles seems like a bad choice IMO. The only corner case would be if you are someone who doesn't actually fly much and need to earn miles for awards outside the normal method, flying on airplanes, which since this is flyertalk after all I'd assume most people here do that...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryAZ
A few years back I was able, using Alaska miles to scarf up two RT first class tickets from LA to Australia on Cathay Pacific. Those ran me 160K miles for each of the RT tickets. But the Cathay Pacific price for those tickets was **$24K** each. I figured 15 cents on the mile was an excellent deal.
But that's what's silly about some of this. Would you really have ascribed a different value to the miles if the ticket was only $10k? What about $35k? On paper, sure. But those ticket prices are pretty much monopoly-money irrelevant since it's probably safe to say that you (and most of us here) would never shell out that amount of cash for a ticket.

Go check out the good deal premium fare forum -- first call long-haul fares aren't really considered by most people until they get down to the $5k r/t range, and sub-$4k is considered a good deal. Valuing your miles based on a $24k ticket just seems foolish.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
But that's what's silly about some of this. Would you really have ascribed a different value to the miles if the ticket was only $10k? What about $35k? On paper, sure. But those ticket prices are pretty much monopoly-money irrelevant since it's probably safe to say that you (and most of us here) would never shell out that amount of cash for a ticket.

Go check out the good deal premium fare forum -- first call long-haul fares aren't really considered by most people until they get down to the $5k r/t range, and sub-$4k is considered a good deal. Valuing your miles based on a $24k ticket just seems foolish.
Yeah, I agree. With international F tickets I just consider it a go/no-go calculus. What I'm paying is what I'm paying - whether it's bought points, earned points, whatever - and what I'm getting is something that I simply never woulda bought, period, barring a mistake fare. So I'm paying whatever for an experience that I never would have otherwise had.

J fares these days can be a little tougher because the barriers to entry are lower as we see more and more affordable J, and the mileage-earn side of things is majorly non-negligible.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah, I agree. With international F tickets I just consider it a go/no-go calculus. What I'm paying is what I'm paying - whether it's bought points, earned points, whatever - and what I'm getting is something that I simply never woulda bought, period, barring a mistake fare. So I'm paying whatever for an experience that I never would have otherwise had.

J fares these days can be a little tougher because the barriers to entry are lower as we see more and more affordable J, and the mileage-earn side of things is majorly non-negligible.
At the same time, F becomes a rarer beast, or devalued as airlines like BA and CX slowly nibble the experience to death with cost-cutting ducks, or the miles get devalued by award inflation.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fonsini
This is where I show my ignorance of mileage buy rates.

AA's latest promotion is offering 265,000 miles (150,000 base plus 115,000 bonus) for $4,786.88 - all other considerations aside (e.g. buying miles is always a bad idea) - is that a good price for air miles, I make it 1.8 cents a mile ?
I would say no. No benefits but the miles.

Depending on how much income taxes you pay, charging your taxes is still a better deal. With a 1.87% credit card fee on taxes, 265,000 would cost you $4955.50. Slightly more than the $4786.88.

BUT if you have the Citibank Exec card and the Barclay Silver card you can get 10K + 10K EQM and $6K EQD by charging the required amount of $40K and $50K, respectively.

Plus for smaller amounts you just only pay 1.87%. The 265,000 miles rate only applies if you spend that much. You can get a better rate and CC benefits by charging your taxes for smaller amounts.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
At the same time, F becomes a rarer beast, or devalued as airlines like BA and CX slowly nibble the experience to death with cost-cutting ducks, or the miles get devalued by award inflation.
Of course! Which is why, as always: 1) DO YOUR RESEARCH (caps mandatory!) and 2) have that award on hold before you even THINK of buying those points!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
As someone sitting on more AA miles than I care to admit I would say NO. I have realized that I will either have to fly on BA if I want a 57.5 tkt (and pay 300.+ to fly from Europe as I will never book an award from LON with their ridiculous APD) or look to use 110k miles for an AA J award as that seems to be the only ones available.

I will also burn on 1 CX F seat to Asia and 1 J seat and hope that another F clears.

I'm really hoping to get rid of mine and my DH's stash in the next few weeks and then i'm breaking up with AA. Sorry AA, it's not me, it's you.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i am one of the biggest loser as i am sitting on over 1M AA miles.. of course it is a no to me.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
At about 1.8 cpm, it's no bargain. That seems to be the standard price at which they sell the miles relatively regularly.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
The only time I bought AA miles was when I needed a trip to Chile which was $1,000 r/t in coach. I bought the needed miles to get an award ticket (around $300 I think) and ticketed that award ticket in one phone call.

edited to add: my budget was not quite that much hence the mileage purchase

Last edited by Kevin AA; Apr 2, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by pbd456
i am one of the biggest loser as i am sitting on over 1M AA miles.. of course it is a no to me.
Welcome to the club, you have lots of company - over 1.6 million gathering dust here. They are generally useless. Occasionally I can find some way to use them that doesn't make me want to just shoot myself, but thats very rare.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would not speculatively buy AA miles at any price, because there's a significant risk you will later end up complaining in this forum that your miles can't be used, and your complaints will end up moved into this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
THIS.

Buying AA miles is a sucker's bet. Go try to find a booking that works for you.

Nobody works harder to f*ck over their frequent flyer members than AA. Nobody.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Welcome to the club, you have lots of company - over 1.6 million gathering dust here. They are generally useless. Occasionally I can find some way to use them that doesn't make me want to just shoot myself, but thats very rare.
I don't understand the logic here. Costs are sunk and you have a million miles by hook or by crook. Partners have availability. And AANytime award availability exists, down to the last seat. Is it that you'd really let 1M+ miles expire than suffer the ignominy of submitting to a high-level redemption? That sounds like quite a Pyrrhic philosophical victory.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i redeemed around 350k aa miles last year to fly J. asia to doh rouns trip for 60k miles each and more. i just earn them faster than i spend and i dont get to spend much because i have too many paid J ticket. even when i travel on award ticket, i could use ua, delta, as, ba miles. my last redemption is hnd hkg (stop) jfk in march for 50k as miles in J. my next redemption will be 90k in ua J for using excursionist perk, and some short haul on ba miles. i have a threshold on when to redeem miles, only use it when it is the best deal among all currencies i own subject to my personal valuation.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Maybe it's just me - but here I find myself wishing I had a 100K-200K more miles. Burned off a bunch recently on CX J awards (still worth it IMO) and EY availability is pretty good for some upcoming trips we have planned. With the reduced earnings (no more 100% PLT bonus), AA miles are much harder to come by. I'm sure as hell not paying 1.8 cpm though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.