Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Log books, "kiddie" wings for children, first flight memorabilia etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:45 pm
OTD
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus

Flying PBI-CLT today, there was a mom with two kids a couple rows ahead of me. Toward the end of the flight, one of the FAs came back with log books and wings for the kids. I guess the kids can get the flight crew to sign off the books on future flights. I thought it was kind of cool.

I'd never seen this before. Generally, I'm on flights with former US Airways cabin crews but this happened to be a Miami-based crew, so I'm guessing LAA. Maybe it's something US Airways never did, but AA has.

Anyway, look for a couple new FT members in about 15 years.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
My daughter has been flying internationally since she was 6 months old.. she is now almost 2. Family situation has required us to go back and forth overseas... she has had a log book since the first flight but only got wings on one of the last flights in business class.

Books are really nice and show the distance, route traveled, capt name and signature. We have both one from AA and BA.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:33 pm

My son has several sets of wings (one was an enamel metal set that he wore proudly for a few years) but never saw a log book. That's pretty cool, he would have loved a log book.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Son's first flight at age 2: kiddie wings?

My 2 year old will have his first flight from EWR-CLT in a few weeks. Does AA still give wings out to kids?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:26 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
My daughter was able to get them in December of last year. Some FAs carry them, some don't. Seems to just be luck of the draw. You probably will have to ask though.

Another tip if you don't mind boarding towards the end of the herd (we always board last as the extra 20-30 minutes of sitting on the airplane is better spent running around in the terminal): The pilots will usually let our daughter go look or even sit in the cockpit while boarding, and sometimes they will give her a 737 card or something like that.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
My youngest got the logbook when we checked into the AC at MCO. It's actually a pretty cool book where you can also track which aircraft you have been on in the AA inventory and their tail #s .
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
My 2 year old will have his first flight from EWR-CLT in a few weeks. Does AA still give wings out to kids?
Yes! I'm 20 and I got a half dozen wings and a couple of logbooks on a recent-ish flight.

I still can't drink (legally) in the US, so I guess I'm still technically a kid
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Somewhere I still have my Ronald McDonald United 747 toy from my second flight. It was the early 90s and United offered a kids Happy Meal from McDonalds. I remember getting the meal when I was 8 and being upset because it came with PB&J. The picture showed a cheeseburger. And so began a long path of disappointing meals on planes.

Edit: I know this is the American forum, but just wanted to share the token from one of my earliest flights.

Image Source: ClickAmericana
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:10 pm

Been flying with my kiddo for a couple months now and only seem to get the coloring books. :/ The crayons are tasty though...
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:22 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Well yes. Actually I just got some on my flight from KMIA to KJFK
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:08 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Years ago I remember WN had an "in-flight entertainment kit" on board that housed wings, activity books, etc. It was located in an overhead compartment. I know foreign airlines still stock toys and fun packs onboard, but I don't know if any US carrier does.

I've always been under the impression that kiddie wings were an accessory that FAs could choose to carry (rather than something stowed onboard)...they could pick a baggie of them in the domicile and carry them in their crew bag.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by WillAir
Well yes. Actually I just got some on my flight from KMIA to KJFK

Welcome to FT!

My 33-week-old has been on 33 flights thus far, and only one FA (on DL) has offered wings. We have 4 AA flights this week (my policy is, if I'm gone more than a day, wife and kid have the option to join), will see if we get any more. He's barely sentient now so wings don't really matter but I'm sure he'll appreciate it in a few months.

I also thought about starting a log but I could just start it next year some time rather than doing it now and having to update it...
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.