Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Upgrades (Paid and reward travel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I'm ExecPlat, but almost all my travel is domestic so I have a few questions on international stuff.

I am planning a trip from DFW to LHR this summer with my wife and daughter, they will be paid Y tickets and I will be award Y (T I think?). I would like us all on the same PNR if possible.

Since we only have 4 SWU's nowadays I'll be giving them to my wife and daughter, my main question is - where does this leave me? If there are open seats in J, will they send them out empty or give a complimentary upgrade like they do domestically? I know that there are changes coming out with upgrades to award tickets, how will that effect me? Anything else I should know?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
First things, you can not have 2 paid tickets and one award on same PNR. It will be 2 PNRS, the paid tickets on its own PNR, and the award ticket on another. You can call the EXP line and ask to put notes on the PNR to "link" them in case of irrops but it will still be 2 PNR #'s.

As for the upgrades, if they are upgraded, you will still be on Y. The odds of a free international upgrade on an award ticket is depends mostly on the load factor in Y and you wont know until flight date. This is not a high one, and most likely you wont be the only EXP flying in Y, odds are there are others that will be flying on paid tickets as well.

As for upgrades for award tickets, nothing has been mentioned yet for the start date. Not much to say except speculate.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Even if they've implemented upgrades on award tickets for EXP by the time you fly, it will only be on routes eligible for auto-upgrades, which DFW-LHR is not. So you wouldn't qualify.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 27, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Rats.

So, now let me ask - if I go paid Y, and happen to book far enough out that I am top of the upgrade list when gate time rolls around, would I get a golden ticket?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by TheJeff
Rats.

So, now let me ask - if I go paid Y, and happen to book far enough out that I am top of the upgrade list when gate time rolls around, would I get a golden ticket?
You would only be on the upgrade list at all if you had an upgrade instrument, such as an SWU, a BXP3, or miles+copay.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Rats.

What's a golden ticket? A free upgrade (op-up)? No, I would not count on that any more than you'd "count on" winning the lottery.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
You could rebook your award ticket into J if there is J award space available and then apply your SWUs to your wife and daughter. The tricky thing is that since you're on separate PNRs, they won't inherit your status and will be low on the list. DFW-LHR (especially the 77W flights) are hard to upgrade.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Rats.

for 25k miles +$350 each way, you can waitlist for an upgrade

Otherwise, if you want to travel in business class, then unless very lucky and the flight is oversold and the airline chooses to give you an involuntary upgrade, then you will need to purchase a business class ticket

With an award ticket, no miles+cash upgrade is possible
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

So, final-last-ditch hope before shelling out miles and cash to upgrade....is the story any better on other OW carriers?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
So, final-last-ditch hope before shelling out miles and cash to upgrade....is the story any better on other OW carriers?
What exactly do you mean by this? an upgrade on an award ticket?, the answer is same for other OW carriers and non OW.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Airlines are not going to just give you business class travel across the atlantic for no reason
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
If you're asking whether fares can be different on other carriers, sure :P

Personally, I find BA WT+ to be a decent deal much of the times for -LHR travel.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No, the story is worse on other OW carriers, they won't let you use SWUs at all.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:13 pm

Rats.

Isn't AA changing up prioritization. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ogram-changes/

American has been unique in how they prioritize upgrades. Upgrades clear first by status, and then by the time added to the waitlist. In other words, if you’re an Executive Platinum member who books your ticket way in advance, you’re almost guaranteed to clear. However, the downside is that if you’re a last minute planner, you’ll often be paying the highest fare and also have the worst odds at upgrades.

As of “later in 2017,” American will be prioritizing upgrades based on a 12-month rolling elite qualifying dollar total, sorted by elite status. In other words, an Executive Platinum member who has spent $20,000 on American in the past year but booked a week out will be prioritized ahead of an Executive Platinum member who has spent $10,000 in the past year but booked 11 months out.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by caburrito
Isn't AA changing up prioritization. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ogram-changes/
They will be doing this sometime, but AA haven't announced when they will implement the change yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.