Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Google Flights fares lower than AA.com via link to AA.com

Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+

I book my weekly commute to work flight 3-4 weeks ahead. This morning I logged in to AA.com and priced out my usual itinerary (to/from CRW) for $718 for the week of April 9. I thought that seemed a bit high (like $200-300 higher than normal), so in another tab in the same browser, I went to Google Flights and priced the route. The same itinerary priced at $525. When I clicked the "buy on aa.com" link, I was taken directly to the aa.com landing page, and the amount was $524.60 ... for the same flights.

In summary, I have two different tabs on aa.com, both are logged in as me, same flights/routing, same times, one is priced $525 and the other $718. What the heck?! Has anyone else seen this? Looks like I'll be comparison shopping the same way going forward.

Last edited by GreyGhost; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:48 am Reason: Added detail.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Did you actually click through and try to buy the $524 fare at aa.com?

Google flights usually works great but can sometimes have fare cache issues. So it will display $524 on Google Flights and the first page at aa.com, but once you click through at aa.com you'll get the "the price of your itinerary has changed..." and it will revert to the 'real' fare.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
I did click through, and bought the $524 fare.

For the wrong day.

The aa.com landing page did not show the dates. I verified the flight numbers, but missed the date. I wanted 4/16 but bought 4/17. Duh.

I'm so embarrassed ... where's the "delete this post" button?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:42 pm

I have had this exact issue. Search for correct dates, and Google Flights provides you prices for dates different than requested. Click through to purchase and it doesn't show the date until the confirmation email.

And then the annoying cancellation process through AA begins.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I stopped using the click through option and go through AA directly after pricing it on Google Flight. I've had issues in the past where AA says the flight can't be ticketed even though I made the purchase.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:13 pm

I’m seeing the same thing: Google Flights (and ITA Matrix, for that matter) both show me a DCA-MSP r/t for $227, but aa.com wants $277 for the same itinerary. Both segments are non-stop, so the usual explanations re married segments etc. don’t apply. I was able to click through from Google & now have the desired itin on hold.

What gives?
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I’m seeing the same thing: Google Flights (and ITA Matrix, for that matter) both show me a DCA-MSP r/t for $227, but aa.com wants $277 for the same itinerary. Both segments are non-stop, so the usual explanations re married segments etc. don’t apply. I was able to click through from Google & now have the desired itin on hold.

What gives?
I have experienced the same multiple times with Google flights vs aa.com (and for exact same flights and dates on both).
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$227 ticket would be NVAHZNN3 and V7AHZNN1 fares. $277 ticket would be combination of NVAHZNN3 and L0AHZNN1 fares. Maybe aa.com is not seeing V bucket available for some reason. Would be helpful to know the dates.
beltway likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 4, 2021 at 7:30 pm
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
$227 ticket would be NVAHZNN3 and V7AHZNN1 fares. $277 ticket would be combination of NVAHZNN3 and L0AHZNN1 fares. Maybe aa.com is not seeing V bucket available for some reason. Would be helpful to know the dates.
6/11, 6/15

And yes, I believe those are the fare codes ITA Matrix coughed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.