Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rudest Check-in Agent I have had. I hope that I did the right thing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rudest Check-in Agent I have had. I hope that I did the right thing.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless there is something unreported, the agent's conduct was not rude.

The passenger's certainly was rude and passive aggressive, e.g. "what time is it -- look at your computer". But, passengers get to be rude and all that happens is they get the minimum required and that is what OP got.

Want to know your flight status, check your computer (monitor, flight app).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Rudeness is in the eye of individual. Conduct that I might consider quick and efficient another person might consider brusque and rude. Neither of those perspectives are wrong.

To state categorically that the agent's conduct was not rude is to treat the OP's perception and belief as invalid--which is itself the height of rudeness, from my perspective.

I sympathize with both parties, but in a service industry the benefit of the doubt tends to go to the person who is purchasing the service.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
I guess you had to be there to understand the tone of the conversation and how rude the words sounded, but from what I have read it sounds like the OP didn’t want to have a pleasant check in experience.

As others have said, how many ways are there to wave someone over? I really can’t imagine how it could be made to look like they were waving at a dog! While the check in agent might not have been full of the joys of spring, he said good morning, to be met with (by the sounds of it) a less than friendly “good morning” in response. He then asks for the time of the flight (ok, he could have been more specific) to be met with what could easily be considered a sarcastic response (especially in view of the not so friendly “good morning” he just received). Then when he clarifies his question he is again met with a rude response when most people in this case would have laughed off the earlier misunderstanding of the question and just given the answer!

I can quite imagine how this could have been a pleasant, routine check in experience had the OP gone in with a different approach. Yes there are some agents who are very friendly and make the experience a pleasure but most are just interested in being courteous and getting the job done and moving on to the next punter. If they don’t get the warm and fuzzies from the customer they won’t give them back. This probably wasn’t AA’s finest employee but I bet at least 50% of my check-in experiences in the US have been no better than this. I echo what was said above, if this is your worst ever check in experience you have been very lucky!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
First off :

You are a passenger on a US airline. You referred to yourself as a Premium. That says it all. You are a fare premium to the airline, not a premium person.

2nd

The agent asked you what time your flight was and you answered with the current time! lol

3rd

Ive never had an agent tell me of a delay. Its American Airlines, most the flights are delayed.

4th

Service in inconsistent. This is a frequent traveler blog, we all know this.

5th

When (and if) the twitter team notifies this guys supervisor he will receive accolades. He summoned you like a dog (passenger on US airline). Handled your sarcasm with no further ado and issued you a boarding pass. His supervisor is the one that trained him. Done by the book!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Those of us who know PUCCI GALORE's posts from the BA board know that as an experienced member of cabin crew, her opinion is to be trusted and that she does not post in superlatives. She is also known for treating people well. For her to have written the post above, things would have had to be very bad indeed.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
He was checking in the Priority Queue at LAX on 8th March. He waved us over as i[f] he was summoning the dog.
Yes, unfortunately, I've encountered this at LAX also. I know exactly what you mean.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
OP means they were waved over? In a crowded space, that's usually more effective than yelling.
Fortunately, it is not the case that yelling was the only other option. It's also possible to beckon or wave to customers in a polite and respectful manner. Many companies are able to teach this to their staff and this is what the OP was rightfully expecting.

Without another word and with a lot of attitude - and I cannot understand why - he handed us our BPs - failed to tell us that there was a 30 minute delay and that was that. I can only describe his attitude as angry and somewhat menacing - and I am not easily overawed.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I can't say I've ever had a desk agent inform me of delays.
AA check in staff usually tell me about delays. I understand others don't have that experience. It is certainly something the check in staff could and should have done, especially at a check-in desk for premium passengers. In fact, it goes without saying that should be part of the process, as it is at other global carriers, and the OP was right to expect it.

I told the lady in the First Lounge - she did not know him but advised me to tell Twitter - which I did. They responded quickly and said that they were notifying his Supervisor. I had read something about rude agents at LAX before and wondered if it was the same. I really thought that he had no business to be anywhere near any fare paying customers, let alone Premiums.
You are, of course, absolutely correct. But AA is not a customer-focused airline at the moment. There is not nearly enough incentive for AA staff to treat customers well. Once when I tried to give a "thank you" certificate to a member of AA cabin crew he said "no thanks, I don't need another clock radio" and gave it back to me. He had provided excellent service to me in the first class cabin for the entire flight. It was the lack of incentive that he was declining.

Sometimes it feels to me that some AA staff operate in an entirely different universe of customer service (i.e. lack thereof) compared to some other global carriers. I don't think they realise how poorly their skills compare, and I can't blame them because their employer failed to give them adequate training.

PUCCI GALORE, I'm sorry this was part of your experience with AA, but it is unfortunately par for the course at the moment. On the whole, and in general, I receive far better treatment from BA staff than from AA staff, so I understand your surprise. Some others on this board will have a different experience of course.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
He was checking in the Priority Queue at LAX on 8th March. He waved us over as i he was summoning the dog. I gave him our passports. Without smiling, he glared at me and said "Good Morning".
"Good Morning" I said seriously not in the mood for off-handedness
"Where you going?"
"Dallas and then Paris"
"What time is it"
"Nine a clock" said I looking at my watch
"NO! What time is your flight"
"Ten to Eleven - why? Does it say something different in your computer?"
" I got one every hour. Bags?"
"Carry-On - thank you!
Without another word and with a lot of attitude - and I cannot understand why - he handed us our BPs - failed to tell us that there was a 30 minute delay and that was that. I can only describe his attitude as angry and somewhat menacing - and I am not easily overawed.

What I did next I cannot believe. I said and did nothing. I held my tongue. We went through Priority Security (we found it thanks to someone else). I honestly felt that he would have used any opportunity to cause trouble.

I told the lady in the First Lounge - she did not know him but advised me to tell Twitter - which I did. They responded quickly and said that they were notifying his Supervisor. I had read something about rude agents at LAX before and wondered if it was the same. I really thought that he had no business to be anywhere near any fare paying customers, let alone Premiums.

On the same note - we hit a Customer Service Lady who was the exact opposite of him. Helpful, Friendly, Warm - just the person that you want when things go wrong. (Our flight to DFW still had not left four hours later but we gave up at one hour as it was obvious that the connection to Paris was impossible). So we tweeted about her as well. Fortunately, there are more like her at AA than Mr Nasty. Sometimes I really wonder if it was something that I said or did, or maybe he didn't like my shade of lipstick - who knows?
I think you responded appropriately. Speaking as a flyer who might have been behind you in the line, I'd much rather a dissatisfied customer not attempt to engage the agent on the spot (DYKWIA?!), thus taking vastly more time than necessary and delaying other passengers, and instead use other avenues, such as Twitter, to express their concerns--and as apparently missed or ignored by some in this thread, also express their praise when they encounter more helpful personnel during their travels. Also seemingly missed was your comment that you encountered many more helpful AA employees than the desk agent you described here. If I were a supervisor at AA, I'd certainly consider those other facts in context when attempting to evaluate the validity of your complaint.

When not checking bags, I definitely use the online checkin process. The experience you've described here is one of the reasons I do so.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:07 am

It doesn't seem that terrible
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously? The rudest check-in agent you've ever had?

He checked you in and issued your boarding pass. And he was correct in that AA does have hourly flights to DFW, and at times even multiple flights each hour. Without know the time or flight number, how would he know what flight to search for? As a seasoned traveler who once worked for airline, I would think that you should know that providing the flight number or departure time might have been helpful. As for not advising of the delay, perhaps he could have verified the flight status if he wasn't busy and there wasn't a queue of passengers. But IME, check-in agents don't necessarily know about or offer this information. This is 2017 and there are any number of ways to check on time status including setting an alert on AA.com that will text/email you with updates. If your travel documentation was properly added to your reservation, you could have by-passed the counter entirely (since you weren't checking bag) and simply OLCI'd and printed your boarding pass or used the kiosk, or the electronic boarding pass on your smart-phone.

And last but not least, there are always two sides to every story and we only have your version.
I think you and others fail to understand. The OP flys - a lot, and has had a successful a career as FA and CSD with BA long haul international. I suspect she knows more about flying, airline policy and procedures than all of us put together. She is quite familiar with the US and AA, so though she can't convey body language and facial gestures, vocal tone and inflection, I'm pretty sure this was an exceptionally rude agent. (Unfortunately, there are some - with BA, as well. In my 60+ years of flying AA and a few less flying BA, I've met a few.)

As far as I am concerned, her version - I'm sure understated, as is her way - is gold standard and there is absolutely no reason to even think about the other side.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It must be the LA air: I had gone to the toilet at LAX, when I returned to the gate I noticed on the monitor that my UPG LAX-LAS had "cleared", I approached the podium to get my (new) bp, agent: "did you hear me call your name...?"
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Sounds like almost every AA check-in at LAX (and DFW) I have experienced.

For a while the supervisors were blaming the merger with USair, but that was over a year ago and I (and friends have told me of similar treatment at LAX) still get The AA check-in agents at LAX that seem to be having a bad day every single time.

Just know you are not alone.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The nice and friendly agents are next door at Flagship check in - where the REAL "Premiums" are.

I know of one gentleman at the LAX check in counter - never has a smile, always dry, but gets the job (ticketing, too) done quickly and efficiently. You just need to know how to handle these type of people.

I will say, however, that this is business as usual for AA these days, which is precisely why I am giving every single penny of my "premium" money to Delta and United.

At LAX, I have a choice.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think you and others fail to understand. The OP flys - a lot, and has had a successful a career as FA and CSD with BA long haul international. I suspect she knows more about flying, airline policy and procedures than all of us put together.
As far as I am concerned, her version - I'm sure understated, as is her way - is gold standard and there is absolutely no reason to even think about the other side.
I get it that OP flies a lot and knows a lot about airline procedures. But attitude can be everything and no amount of experience and/or knowledge makes anyone immune from having a bad day, misunderstanding a comment and/or being unable to communicate effectively at times... especially BA cabin crew.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Sounds like almost every AA check-in at LAX (and DFW) I have experienced.

For a while the supervisors were blaming the merger with USair, but that was over a year ago and I (and friends have told me of similar treatment at LAX) still get The AA check-in agents at LAX that seem to be having a bad day every single time.

Just know you are not alone.
Fortunately, mine generally run better than that. But there was one memorable encounter with a grouchy, rude and actually nasty counter agent at SFO...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Give attitude to an AA agent in ORD, DFW, LGA, or MIA...

"Ten to Eleven - why? Does it say something different in your computer?"

and you're going to get attitude back. Maybe you consider the OP gold standard - I say she lacks the self-awareness to recognize her contribution to a minor situation she then blows out of proportion.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
It may also be the culture of Los Angeles - customer facing people in the city aren't known for being smiley and overly friendly, more like getting things done ASAP with minimal conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.