Wiki Posts
Search

Better Lounge or Longer Flight in J?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:57 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Better Lounge or Longer Flight in J?

I have the option of flying in J from either JFK or CLT to Europe. CLT options are generally roughly an hour longer in the air, but CLT lounges are sucky at best whereas JFK has the newly renovated F lounge with significantly upgraded amenities (particularly food that would allow for abbreviated meal on board).

In your opinion - what would you value more if you have to pick one?

JFK flight is only a mere 7 hours in the air while CLT is close to 8.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I have the option of flying in J from either JFK or CLT to Europe. CLT options are generally roughly an hour longer in the air, but CLT lounges are sucky at best whereas JFK has the newly renovated F lounge with significantly upgraded amenities (particularly food that would allow for abbreviated meal on board).

In your opinion - what would you value more if you have to pick one?

JFK flight is only a mere 7 hours in the air while CLT is close to 8.
This is a "worth" question that only you can answer, with plenty of unknowns to those you are seeking answers from. For example, are you consistently qualifying for top tier and thus lounges aren't that big a deal to you at this point? Or is this going to be a rare "treat" to access an F lounge at JFK? Which hard product do you prefer for this route?

IMHO, a one hour difference in flying time is not very significant to the decision.

Regards
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How easy it is to get to either airport from your home / work? How much will it cost in both time and $$?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I don't know your origin or destination, but assuming you're looking at a two-segment USA-JFK/CLT-EUR, I'd lean toward the CLT connection for two reasons:

1. Fewer ATC problems at CLT.

2. Another hour of potential sleep on the overnight flight.

That's unless you're starting from LAX or SFO, in which case I'd opt for JFK with the 321 Transcon birds versus ghetto PMUS 321s. Or just connect at LHR.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Only on FT is the choice between:

a) A great lounge and shorter flight
b) A crappy lounge and longer flight

a conundrum.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
Neither the lounge, or on board J experience, are going to be so mind blowing that my decision would be based on either. I would go for whatever total travel time is shortest and most convenient.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's important to be productive upon landing in Europe, go for the flight that allows longer sleep. That would be CLT, even if it means eating dinner before boarding (at your own expense, or cobbling together something in the AC).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If it's important to be productive upon landing in Europe, go for the flight that allows longer sleep. That would be CLT, even if it means eating dinner before boarding (at your own expense, or cobbling together something in the AC).
+1

Also, if you really want to visit a lounge, what about the trip back? Lounges in Europe are better than what you'd get in JFK AA terminal or CLT.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
For example, are you consistently qualifying for top tier and thus lounges aren't that big a deal to you at this point? Or is this going to be a rare "treat" to access an F lounge at JFK? Which hard product do you prefer for this route?

IMHO, a one hour difference in flying time is not very significant to the decision.

Regards
I have been a top tier for the last 10 years or so, but not 100% sure I'll requalify for 2018 - very possible I'll drop to a lower tier.

JFK will be on the 772 while CLT on 332/3 and I think the 772 hard product is slightly better, but both should be good for sleeping.

I probably will have a companion with me on this trip and I don't think he has ever been into an F lounge.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
How easy it is to get to either airport from your home / work? How much will it cost in both time and $$?
I will be using miles for this trip, so cost will be the same. Time wise almost identical, but slightly longer layover in JFK (4 hours vs 3 hours at CLT) as there is only one PIT-JFK flight. Total travel time is nearly identical as CLT-BCN is an hour longer but shorter layover.

One other positive for CLT is it departs later in the day and gets into BCN a little past 11am while JFK gets in at 7am. I have found east coast to Europe to be a bit rough given the short flight and having to make sure I stay awake all day the first day.

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
That's unless you're starting from LAX or SFO, in which case I'd opt for JFK with the 321 Transcon birds versus ghetto PMUS 321s. Or just connect at LHR.
Good points - and actually there is saver award in J on LAX-JFK redeye where my friend will be starting his trip so I am kind of tempted to do one way flight to LAX and do the whole outbound trip together rather than meeting in JFK, but this will mean two straight redeyes

Originally Posted by rjw242
Only on FT is the choice between:

a) A great lounge and shorter flight
b) A crappy lounge and longer flight

a conundrum.
#firstworldproblems

Originally Posted by ijgordon
This is a golf vacation trip we have been planning since December. I was looking at award space on AA (only real OW option to Europe without fuel surcharges) and found space for the exact dates we want, however, Gary just made a blog post about it and I am panicking a little. Plans are not 100% set in stone and now there may be more people looking at the same flights as I am.

I probably should just book something as I can cancel for free.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
+1

Also, if you really want to visit a lounge, what about the trip back? Lounges in Europe are better than what you'd get in JFK AA terminal or CLT.
Return trip most likely will be BCN-ORD... Not sure if IB lounges are anything to write home. BA does have award space via LHR but ~$500 in fuel surcharges each way. Kind of frustrating given r/t Y fares can be found for $500-600.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I will be using miles for this trip, so cost will be the same. Time wise almost identical, but slightly longer layover in JFK (4 hours vs 3 hours at CLT) as there is only one PIT-JFK flight. Total travel time is nearly identical as CLT-BCN is an hour longer but shorter layover.

One other positive for CLT is it departs later in the day and gets into BCN a little past 11am while JFK gets in at 7am. I have found east coast to Europe to be a bit rough given the short flight and having to make sure I stay awake all day the first day.
I can't believe that the Flagship lounge in JFK would be the decisive factor compared to not dragging yourself around like a zombie your first day in Europe because you get in at 7 as opposed to 11 am (with less of an early checkin problem). We're not talking the Lufthansa First Class Terminal, the Emirates F lounges or a Cathay Pacific F lounge here. We're talking "serviceable lounge but nothing special" versus "less serviceable lounge". Your friend's a newbie, they'll be thrilled at free booze, snax and a lie-flat seat.

Originally Posted by akersnl
Neither the lounge, or on board J experience, are going to be so mind blowing that my decision would be based on either. I would go for whatever total travel time is shortest and most convenient.
Yes, yes, yes.

I probably should just book something as I can cancel for free.
Um, duh? Unless you want a run on those awards to choose your options for you?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Go through CLT.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
JFK will be on the 772 while CLT on 332/3 and I think the 772 hard product is slightly better, but both should be good for sleeping.

I've been on the US A330's (both -200 and -300) multiple times. Heck, even before the Envoy seats were installed, and on one of the first flights with Envoy seats.
While the seats may not be brand new, they are fine for the short flight to Europe.
Crews can be hit or miss either way. I've had some stellar crews from CLT to Europe, while some not so much.
The lounge at CLT (the small one has always been closed when I've been there, not sure if it has re-opened) is fine. Nothing to write home about, but you can get away, relax, and have some snacks. I'd recommend eating at Bojangles anyway (or there's a good local-ish place in the atrium), if you want real food.

As others have noted, the arrival time would make this a non-issue for me. I've arrived in Europe at 6-7am, gotten to hotels at 9am, and had to wait until 2-3pm for a room. The 11am arrival, with getting to hotel by 1pm makes this much more palatable for me. Go to hotel, probably get in room, shower, then get something to eat, explore a bit.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I can't believe that the Flagship lounge in JFK would be the decisive factor compared to not dragging yourself around like a zombie your first day in Europe because you get in at 7 as opposed to 11 am (with less of an early checkin problem). We're not talking the Lufthansa First Class Terminal, the Emirates F lounges or a Cathay Pacific F lounge here. We're talking "serviceable lounge but nothing special" versus "less serviceable lounge". Your friend's a newbie, they'll be thrilled at free booze, snax and a lie-flat seat.
[/B].
My main thinking was eat in the lounge then once onboard only eat nuts/salad course then go straight to sleep. That is what I did on ORD-LHR last fall as the onboard meal is not good IMHO.

Also LAX-CLT award space will be a bit of a challenge as nothing is available on the nonstop or requires multiple connections whereas LAX-JFK is readily available in J, but I am not too hot about the 7am arrival.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Also LAX-CLT award space will be a bit of a challenge as nothing is available on the nonstop or requires multiple connections whereas LAX-JFK is readily available in J, but I am not too hot about the 7am arrival.
I am confused. Where are you starting your trip?
LAX or PIT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.