Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same-day change/standby of a domestic sector connecting to an international one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same-day change/standby of a domestic sector connecting to an international one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K

I booked an itinerary months ago flying ORD-DFW-PVG in discount first(D)/business(I) cabin. The layover at DFW was 54 min at the time of booking.
However, AA changed the ORD-DFW flight number and schedule back in January, further squeezing the layover to 52 min.
While I doubt the 2-min difference is enough to interrupt my travel plan, I understand that this short connection would be somewhat troublesome, considering the poor on-time performance of ORD-DFW route.

Therefore, do I have any chance to:
1) confirm a change to a 2-hr earlier ORD-DFW flight?
2) confirm a change to a direct ORD-PVG flight?
3) taking the earlier ORD-DFW flight by same-day flight change/standby?

Also I know downgrade is definitely possible. If I end up taking the earlier flight in coach, would it have an impact on my earnings of EQMs/RDMs?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I would certainly call the EXP desk. While a 2 min. change to the flight schedule isn't enough to officially warrant a change per policy, a sympathetic AAgent will have no trouble switching you to an earlier ORD-DFW flight, or the nonstop ORD-PVG if you get lucky. Definitely a situation where you might need to call back 3 or 4 times.

If that fails, you won't be able to do SDFC due to the international segment. However you should be able to arrive at ORD early and go standby on the earlier ORD-DFW flight. This is technically not allowed since it's part of an international itinerary, but I've gone standby in similar instances many, many times without a problem (as have many others around here). At the airport just hand the AAgent your boarding pass for ORD-DFW and ask to get on the standby list for the earlier flight, don't even mention anything about your next flight being international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.