No economy outbound CUN->DCA Sept 4?

Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
No economy outbound CUN->DCA Sept 4?

Trying to book a trip to CUN from DCA the 29 Aug to 4 Sep but its forcing me into Business/First on the return leg.

What's going on? From what I can tell it seems plenty of seats are open in economy....
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wait a few days and maybe it'll be fixed. Or buy on a different airline.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Don't know of it's a glitch, since this has happened before, or if it's a result of that being labor day, but all economy buckets in Expertflyer are 0 except Y for all CUN-XXX-DCA. There are some D and I fares showing though so if you are searching for lowest cost, it will default to business class, since full fare economy will price higher than discount business. Have you reached out to AA?
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I highly doubt all but Y is sold out this far in advance even for DCA. Labor day isn't the normal day of travel for most. Most will wait till Tuesday. Thus I'm guessing there's a system issue right now. They could be updating fares to reflect it being a holiday or other issues. If it's the same in a day or two then I'd call.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:56 am

Not to be pedantic, but to be pedantic, this would be the inbound, not outbound, portion of a return trip.

That said, I did some digging on AA.com, and 2 things of interest jumped out:

1) Round-trip Biz tickets on the dates you note are $650. I'm not a traditional paid J/F guy by any means, but at that price if it were me planning the trip we'd not even be having this discussion. I mean for $250 RT more than economy? The round-trip distance is almost 4500 miles; that price differential is lower than using stickers (if you had status and - BIG IF - stickers actually cleared, hahahaaaa funny I know). Done and done.

2) The economy availability IS there, its just that a) somehow AA.com isn't marrying the segments automatically, and b) it's really expensive. For example an itinerary CUN-DFW-DCA on 9/4 using AA 1392 and AA 1103 shows no Y seats for sale. However if you search the legs you get 1392 pricing at $426 and 1103 at $230. Ouch. Of course, price aside, there are other reasons why it would not be a good idea to book such, but this is only illustrative - the point is that there is inventory, and it's being sold, just not in the coherent manner that we'd expect.

Buy the J tix!!! C'mon DOOO ITTTTT!

Last edited by arlflyer; Mar 16, 2017 at 6:11 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer

I second that. Don't hesitate, just book J. That's a great price.

For our July trip to CUN, booked from JFK, J was actually about $15 LESS than AA Y, $45 less than WN out of BWI, and hundreds less than coach or first on any airline out of PHL or EWR.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Not to be pedantic, but to be pedantic, this would be the inbound, not outbound, portion of a return trip.

That said, I did some digging on AA.com, and 2 things of interest jumped out:

1) Round-trip Biz tickets on the dates you note are $650. I'm not a traditional paid J/F guy by any means, but at that price if it were me planning the trip we'd not even be having this discussion. I mean for $250 RT more than economy? The round-trip distance is almost 4500 miles; that price differential is lower than using stickers (if you had status and - BIG IF - stickers actually cleared, hahahaaaa funny I know). Done and done.

2) The economy availability IS there, its just that a) somehow AA.com isn't marrying the segments automatically, and b) it's really expensive. For example an itinerary CUN-DFW-DCA on 9/4 using AA 1392 and AA 1103 shows no Y seats for sale. However if you search the legs you get 1392 pricing at $426 and 1103 at $230. Ouch. Of course, price aside, there are other reasons why it would not be a good idea to book such, but this is only illustrative - the point is that there is inventory, and it's being sold, just not in the coherent manner that we'd expect.

Yea - the price is a lot lower for full J then when I posted yesterday for one ticket (by about half) - but unfortunately I need two and its still showing a significant jump. We might just return on Sunday instead.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Yea - the price is a lot lower for full J then when I posted yesterday for one ticket (by about half) - but unfortunately I need two and its still showing a significant jump. We might just return on Sunday instead.
You can book the two tickets separately it access the single cheaper fare. Some elevated chance that you won't be seated together, but shouldn't be an issue to politely ask another pax to swap. There's no upgrade list to worry about, so no real need to be in the same PNR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.