Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Tripcase No Longer Including AA Itineraries? (14 Mar 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tripcase No Longer Including AA Itineraries? (14 Mar 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by JDiver
I believe if you purchase your fare through certain agents you may still be able to see some aspects of yourvrez others can't. See the post immediately above yours for an example.
Yes - it was my impression that the Sabre's TripCase app was originally intended to be an add-in that travel agencies using Sabre could offer as a client benefit: the ability to easily track a variety of travel details for their trips.

Then Sabre decided there might be some future marketability to offering it for general Internet user (maybe a future ad vehicle?)... Clearly AA decided that it was not in AA's interest to continue participation in the single client mode, perhaps because it might decrease number of customers using AA's web interface to check travel details.

But AA appears to have retained their arrangement that allows TA-BOOKED Sabre itineraries to show in TripCase.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by pfbloom
Yes - it was my impression that the Sabre's TripCase app was originally intended to be an add-in that travel agencies using Sabre could offer as a client benefit: the ability to easily track a variety of travel details for their trips.

Then Sabre decided there might be some future marketability to offering it for general Internet user (maybe a future ad vehicle?)... Clearly AA decided that it was not in AA's interest to continue participation in the single client mode, perhaps because it might decrease number of customers using AA's web interface to check travel details.

But AA appears to have retained their arrangement that allows TA-BOOKED Sabre itineraries to show in TripCase.
When booked through a travel agency that has an arrangement with Sabre, it's not AA's arrangement that allows it to be displayed
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The only reason I can think is money. Not, AA refusing to pay Sabre, but AA refusing to miss out on ad money.

In the iOS app there are numerous ads (Uber, Audible, Lounge Buddy, etc.) and AA doesn't want Sabre making money off those. AA wants fliers to use their app...so they can push their own ads.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by skunker
The only reason I can think is money. Not, AA refusing to pay Sabre, but AA refusing to miss out on ad money.

In the iOS app there are numerous ads (Uber, Audible, Lounge Buddy, etc.) and AA doesn't want Sabre making money off those. AA wants fliers to use their app...so they can push their own ads.
I have no insight into the reasons why AA chose to not continue this. It may be that most AA flyers don't notice and don't care, but some of us really miss the info. I found being able to view all segments, including waitlisted/requested ones, to be tremendously helpful in verifying that things were set up as I wanted; being able to see the e-tickets, including the fare ladder and the fare basis of each segment, let me check if AA credited the miles correctly; it also let me see what happened if I had a change at the airport due when flights were delayed/cancelled/etc. Very handy.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by anabolism
I have no insight into the reasons why AA chose to not continue this. It may be that most AA flyers don't notice and don't care, but some of us really miss the info. I found being able to view all segments, including waitlisted/requested ones, to be tremendously helpful in verifying that things were set up as I wanted; being able to see the e-tickets, including the fare ladder and the fare basis of each segment, let me check if AA credited the miles correctly; it also let me see what happened if I had a change at the airport due when flights were delayed/cancelled/etc. Very handy.
Agreed! Whatever the reason, this change is a loss for the consumer. The linked updating was the most useful feature that is now gone, besides the SWU info and more detailed fare info...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
And that's what AA doesn't want you to have (emphasis added). Why be transparent and allow the consumer to have support for when things go awry.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfbloom
Agreed! Whatever the reason, this change is a loss for the consumer. The linked updating was the most useful feature that is now gone, besides the SWU info and more detailed fare info...
It's a loss for AA too, as it actually encourages consumers to not book directly through them, and to use amex travel instead
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Likely a security-related decision. Behind the scenes travel companies have recently been catching a lot of flak for glaring data access vulnerabilities given the vast amounts of sensitive data a PNR contains.

American's own website requires first initial and last name -- in addition to PNR -- to view PNR details. TripCase does not meet this minimal standard, and AA is right to disallow access at least until they do.

Last edited by nerdbirdsjc; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
American's own website requires full (and 100% matching) first and last name -- in addition to PNR -- to view PNR details.
Is this new? I have always been able to access PNRs of other people by entering just the start of their first name and full last name, and PNR.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Is this new? I have always been able to access PNRs of other people by entering just the start of their first name and full last name, and PNR.
First initial only. Nothing's changed.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
First initial only. Nothing's changed.
Which is still more than just the surname and Record Locator required by TripCase.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Which is still more than just the surname and Record Locator required by TripCase.
not much more given that there are only 26 letters in the modern latin alphabet
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Recently I booked AAVacations package but TripCase can't show the reservation...
I booked two more AAV packages a few months back, but those are still linked and I am able to see them...

The difference is that this time I paid air portion by AA transportation voucher...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EP
A quick read in this thread indicates that the answer is NO.

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Recently I booked AAVacations package but TripCase can't show the reservation...
I booked two more AAV packages a few months back, but those are still linked and I am able to see them...

The difference is that this time I paid air portion by AA transportation voucher...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
A quick read in this thread indicates that the answer is NO.
I booked another AAV package (flights + hotel) two weeks ago, and I can link this one, so I don't know why the particular AAV package I booked 1 month ago cannot be linked
I had issues with this reservation because I used an AA voucher to pay for air portion. Maybe that's why, but it is still an AAV package, you know...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.