Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA reintroducing coach meals on JFK-LAX/SFO flights 1 May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA reintroducing coach meals on JFK-LAX/SFO flights 1 May 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Originally Posted by rasheed
Can someone post the latest hub pages about the afternoon/evening snack offering of this route? Do the hub pages provide any details on the two sandwich options?

Thanks,
Rasheed
I don't have the hub pages, but I was on the late-night LAX/JFK flight on Sunday night and I believe I heard three options (roast beef, chicken, vegetarian) for wraps in economy announced.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Only on premium transcon markets and they are only doing it to match DL.
That doesn't answer the question. Delta has like 12 flights that they are adding this service.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
That doesn't answer the question. Delta has like 12 flights that they are adding this service.
All LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK flights.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by hiima
All LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK flights.
Don't forget DFW-Hawaii
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp

This is the best that AA can do these days. Their detail is quite honestly pitiful.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
why is there no re-direct from JDIVER on this thread to put people back on to a lounge thread since this is an in-flight coach meal thread?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:00 am

It's funny how AA prices this route 30-50% more than UA, JetBlue and VX for many peak dates. Wanted to stay loyal but I can fly others for 50% less I have to do it. Not even the free Econ meal can bring me to pay that premium.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
and DFW-Hawaii.
Again, like DL does right? Don't expect me to give AA an award for copying DL.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by olouie
It's funny how AA prices this route 30-50% more than UA, JetBlue and VX for many peak dates. Wanted to stay loyal but I can fly others for 50% less I have to do it. Not even the free Econ meal can bring me to pay that premium.
Totally agree, but probably worth at 12.5k for a ticket. Very hard to find more than 1 seat on a given flight. I think there is an ideal window sometime before the 3 week close-in fee and maybe up to 6 weeks where RM gives up on selling out the flight and opens some seats.

Originally Posted by dp4m
I don't have the hub pages, but I was on the late-night LAX/JFK flight on Sunday night and I believe I heard three options (roast beef, chicken, vegetarian) for wraps in economy announced.
FOUR options (with the cheese plate). This is very exciting.

Delta did the first take on this one. United has upped it to HOT meals for E+. I would be intrigued if AA could do this for MCE or if they are going to wait until they do a domestic Y+ product. I still don't want AA to be the follower here.

Rasheed

Last edited by rasheed; Jun 16, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
I flew in economy JFK to LAX and people were in shock that they were getting a free dinner. (I got the cheese.)

Overall the mood on the flight seemed much better, which I would attribute to three things:

1. Free food
2. Free movies (a lot of them)
3. Flight crew having gotten a raise

Felt much less "fist fight/knock-down drag-out" than other economy flights of recent years.

Congratulations AA!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:16 pm

What is being served...

On a recent dinner time flight, the following was being served:

-Turkey ham, cream cheese and lettuce roll with kettle chips and Milano cookies. Ham is just a slice style, not actually pork.

-Vegetable wrap with everyone's favorite quinoa.

-Fruit and cheese (same as what is regularly sold)

I believe these are the same three afternoon/evening options on all applicable coach transcon flights.

While the snack is well designed, it would have been nice to have the wrap be comparable to what is sold and not a mini version.

Important note, there is no sold food otherwise except drinks.

There are two full service cart drink services and one of just water on a tray.

Oh and headphones are free again in economy. They are attributed to being free due to Avis sponsorship, but that is a good decision to stop trying to sell the headphones. I make a special effort to ensure all flying with me have headphones before boarding.

Rasheed
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
At the beginning of a 10:00pm LAX-JFK transcon flight last week, the lead FA announced before departure that free meals would be served in Coach during the flight, and I distinctly heard clapping.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rasheed
On a recent dinner time flight, the following was being served:

-Turkey ham, cream cheese and lettuce roll with kettle chips and Milano cookies. Ham is just a slice style, not actually pork.

-Vegetable wrap with everyone's favorite quinoa.

-Fruit and cheese (same as what is regularly sold)

I believe these are the same three afternoon/evening options on all applicable coach transcon flights.

While the snack is well designed, it would have been nice to have the wrap be comparable to what is sold and not a mini version.

Important note, there is no sold food otherwise except drinks.

There are two full service cart drink services and one of just water on a tray.

Oh and headphones are free again in economy. They are attributed to being free due to Avis sponsorship, but that is a good decision to stop trying to sell the headphones. I make a special effort to ensure all flying with me have headphones before boarding.

Rasheed
So would I be correct in thinking this is a step backwards for the EXP/CK benefit on these flights since it sounds like the size is smaller and not as robust? Haven't been on these routes in a few months.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jcatman
...FA announced before departure that free meals would be served in Coach during the flight, and I distinctly heard clapping.
I'd have to imagine that was short-lived
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
So would I be correct in thinking this is a step backwards for the EXP/CK benefit on these flights since it sounds like the size is smaller and not as robust? Haven't been on these routes in a few months.
Yes, if fruit and cheese is not your usual thing.

Frankly, I think most CP/EXP and maybe Plat Pros got upgrades either at gate or earlier on my specific flight. As a Plat, I just was not high enough to make the cut.

I personally think AA will have to upgrade the snack on this route soon, but it always take AA some extra time to get through all of the approval levels.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.