Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using value of old ticket that employer paid for originally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using value of old ticket that employer paid for originally

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:49 pm

I have a feeling that if the ticket was purchased by an individual who is not an active employee AA would be remiss if they divulged the form of payment. They may only be required to say the balance was used. I'd suspect that some travel department may not want to alter the former employees personnel file to read that they embezzled a dime. Far too much liability.

As a former long term EXP in 20 years in corporate America I don't believe I ever filed a totally 100% accurate expense report. Two weeks trips through multiple countries and currencies has a way of doing that.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone. I will tell her to call the corporate travel dept to see what her options are.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Seems like people just looking for excuses to justify theft. If the ticket was purchased by employer and the flight was cancelled and ticketed refunded, do you expect the refund to go to passenger or the employer? Employer booking travel for employee does not transfer ownership of ticket to employee. Ownership of residual value also does not transfer to employee regardless of name on ticket.

Calling corporate travel agency doesn't change the circumstances as they have no authority to transfer "ownership" over to employee. If you are going to steal, pick something that can't be so easily trace.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by seawolf
Seems like people just looking for excuses to justify theft.
If you are going to steal, pick something that can't be so easily trace.
Since you're throwing around such specific accusations, you must have some inside knowledge of the OP's friend's employer's policies. Care to elaborate?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by rjw242
Since you're throwing around such specific accusations, you must have some inside knowledge of the OP's friend's employer's policies. Care to elaborate?
Going back to last question in first post...

Why would OP's friend care what employer see/not see if he/she truly believes the ticket is their to begin with?

OP friend should go to back to someone at employer with signature authority to "transfer" ownership over.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
OP friend should go to back to someone at employer with signature authority to "transfer" ownership over.
Which, you know, is actually the resolution:

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Thanks everyone. I will tell her to call the corporate travel dept to see what her options are.
When I was in this situation, the response was basically "what? Of course you should use the credit, otherwise it'll go to waste." Other companies may be different, but calling people thieves without any information is rather irresponsible on your part.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rjw242
Which, you know, is actually the resolution:

When I was in this situation, the response was basically "what? Of course you should use the credit, otherwise it'll go to waste." Other companies may be different, but calling people thieves without any information is rather irresponsible on your part.
Which is what it should be. During my aviation law class this was a topic that we discussed and wrote about. At the time at least it was settled law that the ticket belonged to the passenger. No theft/embezzlement applied. The company could have policies that required you to use it for another trip. However if you didn't the worst they could do was write you up for failing to follow policy and add it as taxable income.
window.post_1489346840841_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1489346842890_11 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which is what it should be. During my aviation law class this was a topic that we discussed and wrote about. At the time at least it was settled law that the ticket belonged to the passenger. No theft/embezzlement applied. The company could have policies that required you to use it for another trip. However if you didn't the worst they could do was write you up for failing to follow policy and add it as taxable income.
window.post_1489346840841_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1489346842890_11 = function(win,msg){
}
You telling me employer has no recourse in the eyes of the law in following scenario?

1.). Employer purchase a full J ticket for employee $10k. Trip is 3 months from now. Owership of ticket belongs to passenger.
2.). Employee resigns 2 months later without taking trip.

Emoloyer can not legally ask for refund from airline because, well, they no longer owe the ticket and if they do, they open themselves up for being sued by employee. Only thing they can do is add $10k to W2? In the end they are still out the $10k.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:24 pm

You telling me employer has no recourse in the eyes of the law in following scenario?

1.). Employer purchase a full J ticket for employee $10k. Trip is 3 months from now. Owership of ticket belongs to passenger.
2.). Employee resigns 2 months later without taking trip.

Emoloyer can not legally ask for refund from airline because, well, they no longer owe the ticket and if they do, they open themselves up for being sued by employee. Only thing they can do is add $10k to W2? In the end they are still out the $10k.
In this scenario the employer cancels the ticket as well as cancels the company credit card and receives the refund.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This isn't a ticket. This is a credit. There is a world of difference. If this is a larger employer with a corporate TA, as part of processing the employee out, the credits should have been transferred. Other companies look at smaller amounts as small stuff and let it go.

Not everybody leaves on bad terms.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by idainc
In this scenario the employer cancels the ticket as well as cancels the company credit card and receives the refund.
This sounds like employer owns the ticket.

Curious to know when exactly does ownership transfer to the passenger as indicated in flyerCO's post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.