Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying with children - AA document requirements

Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Flying with Children - AA Document Requirements

Traveling with children and infants (AA) (link)

You may be required to present proof of age (such as a birth certificate) for any children under the age of 18.

Traveling internationally? Children or infants traveling outside the U.S. are required to have the same documentation as an adult. If anyone under 18 is traveling internationally without both parents, they may be required to present a Letter of Consent.

See US Department of State page on international Letter of Consent requirements here.

For international travel:

Preparations for international travel (AA) (link)

International travel doesn’t have to be tricky – just make sure your travel documents and required paperwork are in order. When you travel internationally, you’re responsible to make sure you have the correct documents to enter and pass through any countries during your trip, and then make your way back home.

To start:
  • Everyone traveling, regardless of age, needs their own set of travel documents.
  • Always use the information exactly as it appears on your passport (to book and fill out any documents).
  • Check with the consulate of every country you’re entering (or passing through) to make sure you meet all travel requirements.
  • Some countries require proof of return or onward travel, a visiting address and sufficient funds for your stay

See link to page for more.

Children under the age of 18 traveling internationally with only one or no parents may require a notarized Letter of Consent to comply with the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (link). (This document may bevrequested at the departing or subsequent airports, and on arrival at one's destination - or not, of course.)

Print Wikipost

Flying with children - AA document requirements

Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, SPG, IHG
Smile Smile Flying with a grandson funny story

Actually a story from a few years ago, before I was on FT, but a good one.

My father decided to fly with my 4 years old son (his grandson) to Disneyland. He called AA and told them the plan and that the kid's last name is different than his last name. Does he need any doc from parents?
AA answer: If the kid does not cry and screams that he does not want to fly with you, then there is no problem. No docs needed.

This was a domestic flight. I wonder what about international flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 17, 2017 at 9:16 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Eli1980
This was a domestic flight. I wonder what about international flights.
Docs needed, nearly always.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:13 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
You sometimes even need docs now if you're flying international with one parent and not the other--like a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent that you have permission to take the child to another country.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by OTD
You sometimes even need docs now if you're flying international with one parent and not the other--like a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent that you have permission to take the child to another country.
Yes, notarized consent for international flights if both parents aren't traveling with the child.

However, 3 times in as many years, my wife has not been asked to show the letter when traveling alone with our kids...SQ, CX and UA.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Do you need a letter even if the kid has a passport? I'm planning to bring my son, who will be 6, to London next year.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Do you need a letter even if the kid has a passport? I'm planning to bring my son, who will be 6, to London next year.
Yes.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA MM; UA-S; HH-D; Marriott-LTP
For her sweet 16, I travelled with my Goddaughter to Curacao. She and I have different last names, are unrelated, and live in different states, but we departed and returned together from same airport. I did have her parents fill out docs, and had them on hand, but was never asked about them.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
"Hague Convention on Abduction" to put it succinctly . USA became a signatory 1 July 1988.

You need a notarized letter of authorization from the missing parent or other documentation demonstrating sole custody.

See USCBP information here.

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." See our Q&A parental consent.
Under the Convention, other countries may impose the same requirements. You may not be asked for this documentation, but on the other hand you risk not being admitted and immediate return.

Sample printable letter and information here.

Additionally, a letter authorizing securing medical services may be useful for a child traveling with grandparents, a group, friends, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Yes.
The reason is custody disputes and related kidnapping events. Once the child and the other parent are out of the country, the Hague Convention quickly becomes the controlling law. Different countries honor the Convention to a greater or lesser extent and as viewed by their own laws. I've litigated one or two of these cases, and they can be a real mess, not to mention extremely costly.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
The fact of the matter is (having taken my son internationally 6-8 times) you likely will never be asked. The chances might increase if the child is of an age where he/she can't respond to simple questions. In any event, you will generally find that immigration officials are more than willing to work with you, i.e., might have to call the other parent for verification.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
You need a notarized letter of authorization from the missing parent or other documentation demonstrating sole custody.
At which point(s) of the journey does that apply?

Counter-example: I've taken several trips without my wife but with one or more of my young kids. Never had even a question about custody or who's who.

Oddly we've (twice) had a minor grilling at the UK Border when the entire family was travelling into LHR all together... (?)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
At which point(s) of the journey does that apply?

Counter-example: I've taken several trips without my wife but with one or more of my young kids. Never had even a question about custody or who's who.

Oddly we've (twice) had a minor grilling at the UK Border when the entire family was travelling into LHR all together... (?)
It can be requested prior to boarding, and it may be requested on arrival (immigration).

Documentation is often not requested in either departure or arrival, but there's always a risk traveling without it.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
It can be requested prior to boarding, and it may be requested on arrival (immigration).
Wonder what training/resources an airport agent is able to rely on to help determine whether "a notarized letter of authorization from the missing parent" from a random passenger is genuine and valid.

Do the letters typically specify destination and dates of travel?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Wonder what training/resources an airport agent is able to rely on to help determine whether "a notarized letter of authorization from the missing parent" from a random passenger is genuine and valid.
I suspect none. If an agent were to ask to see the letter, I'm guessing they would do nothing more than match up last names.

If the agent is suspicious, they can ultimately deny boarding until resolved by local law enforcement.

I've never had anyone ask to look at my letters but I think it's foolish to travel without them.

Do the letters typically specify destination and dates of travel?
Yes and I add some language to cover flight cancellations, re-routes, etc.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Funny how things change. I started traveling intl with my son when he was 7. He has a different last name then I do. I never was asked anything nor had to produce a notarized letter from my husband, his Dad, saying it's ok to take him out of the country.

I was advised that when bringing him to Canada they will definitely ask to see a doc from my DH. I had it ready. Son was 12. We arrived in YVR, late in the evening. I present ourselves to customs with our two passports with the different names. Customs officer asks my son if I'm his Mom, he says yes, and off we go.

Moral is have the letter but you probably will never need it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.