Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2017+ consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (2017+ consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Existing thread on this topic:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
The mods can decide if this falls within the other thread. The issue is not high fares per se on AA. The issue is whether fare structuring can create an incentive to merely shop fares to get into a premium cabin, especially when the other touted benefits of frequent flyer programs are becoming more elusive. But, mods if you think these topics overlap too much, consolidate away.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIA-SAT
The mods can decide if this falls within the other thread. The issue is not high fares per se on AA. The issue is whether fare structuring can create an incentive to merely shop fares to get into a premium cabin, especially when the other touted benefits of frequent flyer programs are becoming more elusive. But, mods if you think these topics overlap too much, consolidate away.
Additionaly, if you buy first/business, many of the FF benefits are part of the ticket making FF status even less valuable.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The other factor is that the premium cablins are generally much smaller than the main cabin. I would caution the OP about using one set of dates to start a discussion about an airline's revenue management strategy. It may well be that AA has sold out most of their premium cabin seats on those specific dates, which may have little to do with their general pricing/revenue management strategy.

If it is observed repeatedly over a period of time, then we can discuss strategy. AA is a strong carrier to Latin America and may be able to charge a premium over DL/AM.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Additionaly, if you buy first/business, many of the FF benefits are part of the ticket making FF status even less valuable.
Yes, this must have been the value of three-class service. Still an incentive to buy J on AA with hopes of operational or instrument (or automatic, on some fare classes) movement to F.

I wonder if corporate policies will adjust to permit premium economy (which is not that far from the original business class, at least in hard product) and we will be stuck begging for upgrades to business (which is nicer now than the older first class).
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA gold, AA Plat, HHonors diamond, DL DM
Originally Posted by formeraa
The other factor is that the premium cablins are generally much smaller than the main cabin. I would caution the OP about using one set of dates to start a discussion about an airline's revenue management strategy. It may well be that AA has sold out most of their premium cabin seats on those specific dates, which may have little to do with their general pricing/revenue management strategy.

If it is observed repeatedly over a period of time, then we can discuss strategy. AA is a strong carrier to Latin America and may be able to charge a premium over DL/AM.
You draw a good distinction. There is a difference between shifting completely to another program or to no program at all and making a trip by trip decision between carriers. Right now, I am just considering putting my long haul int flights onto whichever program gives me a substantial fare break getting into what you correctly identify as shrinking J cabins. With AM and LAN out of MEX and the cheap fares between SAT and MEX I can fly to MEX and place the FF miles into the corresponding legacy alliance account. I can sometimes save 50% or more on longhaul J out of MEX, even if there are fluctations due to previously sold inventory on AA with an SAT origination. For me at least Google flights is a game changer. The $4000 or whatever that I save could save can purchase plenty of leisure fares that Aadvantage miles might otherwise cover.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Unless you mostly travel domestic, I do agree. Speaking of international travel however ... OWE is still a very powerful status and First Class lounges (BA LHR, CX HKG, QF SYD) are a top notch reason to keep it.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went to buy a CLT-PHL ticket today.

- Frontier Nonstop: $47
- United via IAD: $89 Basic Economy, $117 Economy
- AA Nonstop: $89 Basic Economy, $154 Economy

I bought the Frontier ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by ckx2
Unless you mostly travel domestic, I do agree. Speaking of international travel however ... OWE is still a very powerful status and First Class lounges (BA LHR, CX HKG, QF SYD) are a top notch reason to keep it.
And with restrictions on paid lounge membership, see Delta's revised policy for example (more of which is coming I'm sure), the benefits of FF status traveling internationally become even more valuable.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:58 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by CMK10
Went to buy a CLT-PHL ticket today.

- Frontier Nonstop: $47
- United via IAD: $89 Basic Economy, $117 Economy
- AA Nonstop: $89 Basic Economy, $154 Economy

I bought the Frontier ticket.
To each their own. $47 is the cost of entry. Then it's $30 to carry on anything that can't go under the seat. And another $6 to advance choose a standard seat or $20 for "Stretch seating". So, yes, it's still overall cheaper (like $85 one way) with those restrictions. But also consider there is ONE flight between PHL and CLT, and not even every day of the week so you're basically stranded and screwed if there are IRROPS.

AA knows this and will price accordingly. There's value in booking a carrier with a large network that gives options when things go South. Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc. all have a niche market who only shop on price and then cry foul when a hurricane or blizzard ruins their 2 week vacation because there are no alternate flight options.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHL
To each their own. $47 is the cost of entry. Then it's $30 to carry on anything that can't go under the seat. And another $6 to advance choose a standard seat or $20 for "Stretch seating". So, yes, it's still overall cheaper (like $85 one way) with those restrictions. But also consider there is ONE flight between PHL and CLT, and not even every day of the week so you're basically stranded and screwed if there are IRROPS.

AA knows this and will price accordingly. There's value in booking a carrier with a large network that gives options when things go South. Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit, etc. all have a niche market who only shop on price and then cry foul when a hurricane or blizzard ruins their 2 week vacation because there are no alternate flight options.
Typically I'd agree but in this case I'm on a day trip with just my laptop bag so I don't have to worry about a carryon bag. I can also wait until the day of departure to get a seat as it's a Saturday so I'm still at only $47. Believe me I'd much rather fly AA for all the reasons you mentioned but not in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.