Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bombardier CRJ900 / CR9 seat, carry on, etc. information & discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bombardier CRJ900 / CR9 seat, carry on, etc. information & discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:08 pm

​​​​​​​so apparently this is a thing:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rhead-crj.html

mods, feel free to merge...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
ok, thanks for clearing that up. to rephrase the question...besides the following guidelines:

American Airlines (AA) allows 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item (purse, briefcase, laptop bag) per passenger fee free. Carry-on should not exceed the following size and weight restrictions: 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 centimeters (56 x 36 x 23 cm) including handles and wheels.

is there anything else that is specific to the CRJ-900?
I don’t think so. There may be some SOP, but that would be internal to AA and unavailable to us.

The CoC however makes it abundantly clear that a GA may require your carry on to be gate checked at his or her discretion.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
so apparently this is a thing:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rhead-crj.html

mods, feel free to merge...
Yes it is a thing and I believe somewhere in that thread it shows where AA can have different rules for the smaller jets. It is ridiculous, in that almost all bags that fit in the sizer will fit in the bin, the problem is that most roller bags are actually too big to fit the sizer.

I fly a fair number of regional jets, so I bring a duffel bag instead of a roller. It is ~ 21.5 13.5 9. It is bigger than some rollerboards, but I never have problems bringing it on the plane. The FAs take one look at it, see no wheels, and just ignore me.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Does anyone happen to know what the actual rules are for CRJ-900 carry-on items? A flight attendant insisted that any bag with wheels was a "rollaboard" and cannot be stowed onboard, even if it fits in the overhead.

This seems a little arbitrary, so I was wondering what the "rules" actually are.
I've been told that these 'rules' are in fact in the FAA operating certificate for each aircraft model when flown by that airline (which could be Envoy or Piedmont or Republic etc etc).
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:49 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
All of the CRJs, 200, 700 and 900 require wheeled luggage to be gate checked...even if it would fit in a normal overhead. The bins just aren't large enough to fit these bags wheels in. On some occasions I've seen wheeled 'briefcases' allowed under the premise that they will go under the seat in front of you. That's not 100% assured.

FWIW, given that I fly these CRJs fairly often, I've purchased a non-wheeled bag just for these trips. I'm using the Red Oxx Sky Train which fits over the shoulder or as a knapsack. I'm sure it's likely you can find less expensive, but similarly sized bags on amazon or ebags. For what it's worth the Sky Train fits in the CRJ 700 and 900 overhead - sideways. I have not been stopped when boarding with this bag (key point). I haven't flown with it on the 200 to comment on that overhead and the bag combo.

As an additional point of reference, if your trip takes you on an E-175 or E-190, regular roller bags (which fit in the AA sizer) will fit into these overhead bins. There is no boarding restriction for these flights - and no valet (gate check) service.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nyc6035
All of the CRJs, 200, 700 and 900 require wheeled luggage to be gate checked...even if it would fit in a normal overhead. The bins just aren't large enough to fit these bags wheels in.
Indeed. Another limitation of these regionals (at least the 900 and 700 - I haven't flown a 200) is that the overheads are not the same size on both sides of the aircraft. One side has almost standard sized bins, while the other's are so small about all you might be able to fit in them is a lunchbox.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by nyc6035
As an additional point of reference, if your trip takes you on an E-175 or E-190, regular roller bags (which fit in the AA sizer) will fit into these overhead bins. There is no boarding restriction for these flights - and no valet (gate check) service.
I was on a 175 yesterday and after I took my seat I heard a loud cracking noise behind me. The FA said "sir if you break that bin none of us are going anywhere for a while". Guy in row three finished shoving it in and said "it fit". After about a 30 minute delay the GA finally showed up to remove the bags in that bin and check them. 30 minutes later Maintenance showed up to remove the door and place an out of order sticker on it.

The FA was right. 😂
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
This got me the other day. I have a 20" international roller that fits in the sizer, and fits sideways in the CRJ 700 / 900 bins. Delta allows it on, I take it on 30 - 40 DL CRJ flights a year.

American Eagle (not sure which sub carrier) wouldn't allow it on, the FA told me it was a weight and balance restriction. Then I get on and there are 6 flight crew rolling bags in the overheads. If they want to apply the rules to us (or if they are indeed in W&B rules are in the airlines FAA paperwork ) then they should apply to the crew as well.
seawolf, clbish, lbbzman and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:05 pm

If flying RJs regularly it is likely a wise life decision to go to a duffel bag. It pains me, since I love the ease of rollers, but those ~30 min a week dealing with gate checked bags just isn't worth it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:34 pm

I have flown crj900 in f and usually they allow the bag with wheels. That said last the time I flew one, a couple of months ago, it was the flight attendant that made people gate check the bags. I think the rules are often "made up" on the spot. YMMV.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
My Tom Bihn Brain Bag backpack has very comfortable weight distribution, and nary a FA or a GA on the tiny plane flights gives it a second look, even though it holds more than a standard in-cabin wheeled bag.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
From my experiences, CRJ9's never accept normal roller size bags. If you have a smaller business style compact those will generally be allowed as they fit under the seat, although I advise those with these bags to carry them onto the plane once at the plane rather than roll them. 20-22 inch rollers, or anything close to that essentially always get the Valet Tag. Duffel bags that are packed full, get the Valet Tag a lot as well.

FA's hold the judgement on these, it's not really made up, but some FA's are more lax and some aren't, that's just life unfortunately. If they say it has to have the tag, like it or not they have the final say.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by jmj9905
I have flown crj900 in f and usually they allow the bag with wheels. That said last the time I flew one, a couple of months ago, it was the flight attendant that made people gate check the bags. I think the rules are often "made up" on the spot. YMMV.
That’s interesting, my experience has been the opposite. My 22” rollaboard gets yellow tagged every time. Do you have a smaller bag?

Last edited by kb9522; Dec 17, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teCh0010
This got me the other day. I have a 20" international roller that fits in the sizer, and fits sideways in the CRJ 700 / 900 bins. Delta allows it on, I take it on 30 - 40 DL CRJ flights a year.

American Eagle (not sure which sub carrier) wouldn't allow it on, the FA told me it was a weight and balance restriction. Then I get on and there are 6 flight crew rolling bags in the overheads. If they want to apply the rules to us (or if they are indeed in W&B rules are in the airlines FAA paperwork ) then they should apply to the crew as well.
^

DL CRJ9 allows for roll aboard in all cabins.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:42 pm

Delta regionals routinely let me take my smaller Tumi hard roller bag on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.