Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: End of Feb la k miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 4, 18, 4:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

The "upgrade year" for earning 500 mile "stickers" ends the last day of February. Though existing "stickers" (they originally were stickers applied to your ticket when you were upgraded) do not expire, your earning miles counter resets at midnight the last day of February.

Technically, that means if you had, say, 11,000 miles toward electronic upgrades (MTEU) at midnight the last day of February, you would start at zero March 1. Bitbactually, during the last few years, many Gold and Platinum members have been successful requesting prorated "stickers" - one with 11,000 MTEU would request three "stickers", since normally four would be issued at 12,500 MTEU nodes.

Expect some agents to say "no" for various invented reasons. If one does, thank them, hang up and call again.

The general rule of thumb is to call one's status line and request one "sticker" per 3,125 MTEU earned by midnight the last day of February.

For further information, see "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 28, 17, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond

Its the end of the upgrade sticker period today...... Has anyone called in an attempt to get prorated stickers for being close but, not over the 12500 mile threshold???
Old Feb 28, 17, 6:34 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I called yesterday and was prorated 2 stickers (although I think it should have been 3, but whatever). Had no issues. They already are in my account.
Old Feb 28, 17, 8:55 am

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 9.54.05 AM.png
Views: 1102
Size:  16.7 KB

Interested to see how they handle this for me.
Old Feb 28, 17, 10:49 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
A coworker called in today and was told that they "don't do pro-rated stickers anymore". Is this a thing? Went with a HUACA but hasn't called back just yet.
Old Feb 28, 17, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, AA Plt, Hyatt Plt
just did it - worked for me. added 2 on the spot. Plt member.
Old Feb 28, 17, 11:56 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
A coworker called in today and was told that they "don't do pro-rated stickers anymore". Is this a thing? Went with a HUACA but hasn't called back just yet.
Update: HUACA worked.
Old Feb 28, 17, 12:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal View Post
Attachment 27939

Interested to see how they handle this for me.
I'd hope you'll get all 4.

I just logged into my account, and I need 10,232 miles to my next batch; I guess I'll pass.
My 500-mile upgrade balance is 43 anyway right now, and have a tough time using any of those.
Old Feb 28, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I called reservations and they declined. Then hung up and called the AAdvantage desk and they rewarded me two for haveing 7,500 miles on the meter and were very nice about it.
Old Feb 28, 17, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades- 1,060

Eek. Thanks for the reminder.

Agent #1- no idea what I was talking about, then insisted that I will get 4 stickers when I fly another 1000 miles.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Feb 28, 17 at 1:04 pm
Old Feb 28, 17, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You guys are having better luck than I am. I called on behalf of my wife who is <600 miles away. First the agent said that it is a calendar year thing. I explained that it was a program year thing and she then agreed. Then she said that she couldn't make the exception. But she suggested that my wife call (rather than me) and see what would happen. So that will be the next step.
Old Feb 28, 17, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Make sure you're calling 800-882-8880 rather than reservations or elite desk.

At the recording, say "Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative" (if you listen to the whole thing, it asks you whether you want "a, b, c, d, or e . . . you can also say x, or Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative").

I just called on my wife's behalf and got 2. Was hoping for 4 because she had 11893 out of 12500. Might call back tomorrow to see about getting the other 2 but will wait until someone else reports positively that they were able to get 4.
Old Feb 28, 17, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Just called in and got 2. Had 7115 miles to go but a lot of travel booked in the coming weeks.

Thanks platbrownguy for the tip, saved me a lot of time.
Old Feb 28, 17, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post

At the recording, say "Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative" (if you listen to the whole thing, it asks you whether you want "a, b, c, d, or e . . . you can also say x, or Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative").

I just called on my wife's behalf and got 2. Was hoping for 4 because she had 11893 out of 12500. Might call back tomorrow to see about getting the other 2 but will wait until someone else reports positively that they were able to get 4.
I just called and got 3 (was 309 short). Said she tried to do 4 but couldn't because 12.5 requirement not met. Will monitor thread and see if anyone gets 4 and call back if they do. I don't have many and hopefully will use them on some off-peak flights I have coming up later this year which should have space so that 1 may be of value.
Old Feb 28, 17, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Call in for wife (plat) who needed 2402 and asked for 3 of the 4. Granted.
Old Feb 28, 17, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
You guys are having better luck than I am. I called on behalf of my wife who is <600 miles away. First the agent said that it is a calendar year thing. I explained that it was a program year thing and she then agreed. Then she said that she couldn't make the exception. But she suggested that my wife call (rather than me) and see what would happen. So that will be the next step.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post

Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
Call in for wife (plat) who needed 2402 and asked for 3 of the 4. Granted.
Did I get a bad agent or what? You guys called in for your wife and were successful. I got nothing...yet.

Search this Thread