Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

ARCHIVE: What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Depends on where you are flying. Upgraded the one time I flow DFW/LAS and pretty good chances at DFW/CUN.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by akarneboge
I am pretty disappointed with how much they're devaluing gold with the MCE vs. preferred seat snafu. One of my best employees has been gold for a few years, and we're trying to route him out of the way enough to get him enough miles for platinum. The biggest problem is that exit rows on planes like the 738 and 757 are now marked as MCE, so the ability to actually get a "preferred" seat is gone as of the end of this year.
Agree 1000%. Exit row selection was far and away the most valuable benefit of LT gold for me. Had I known, I wouldn't have shifted all my business to them to achieve it. I frequently have to pay more to fly AA in my area and the frequencies are much lower than DL and UA. Just signed up for their credit cards. Will probably shift most of my CC spending to my Starwood Amex due to the flexibility of transfers to various programs.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by akarneboge
The biggest problem is that exit rows on planes like the 738 and 757 are now marked as MCE, so the ability to actually get a "preferred" seat is gone as of the end of this year.
Absolute BS in my book. Reserving exit rows was one of the few real perks of being a GLD.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I know that the GLD for MCE pre-reserve ends in 2013 (I guess bookings made in 2013). This is a nice benefit because it applies to everyone on the same reservation.

Do we know what they will do in 2014? At check-in (T-24)? Only one companion? (I say one companion because this is what I experience as a Silver on UA.)

I wonder if the LinkedIn promo situation made this worse for GLDs in the future, but I don't think the pre-reserve option was a bad deal for AA to give to GLD as a value. I guess I wonder if they will extend the offer into next year? Yes, I know that there is a sales aspect here as well (if GLDs will buy MCE).

This is one reason why I am spreading my status over 2 or 3 airlines for 2014 qualification. Many might say that I should put my eggs in one basket and focus, but I find that it leads too often to less than idea timing or routing or pricing. It is much easier to leverage choosing between carriers when both provide an elite value. It also can create some incentive for a carrier to try and encourage me to book more with a bonus or other plan.

The best way to be vocal about issues with any carrier is to 'walk', but I know many don't have options to 'walk' when they have put so much effort to achieve a top-tier elite status with one carrier.

Rasheed
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:23 pm

I heard that soft-landings are out, so I am about to fall from Platinum to no status. I am looking into taking a single mileage run to get Gold, but am seeing that MCE is not available for Gold members. Being 6'5", booking Exit row seats is the primary reason I would want status. Does anyone know if Gold's will receive a discount or access at a particular time, or will they be like any traveler in terms of MCE/exit row seating? Trying to figure out if dropping a few hundred to get Gold is worth it, expecting about 20-25k of travel next year.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I heard that soft-landings are out, so I am about to fall from Platinum to no status. I am looking into taking a single mileage run to get Gold, but am seeing that MCE is not available for Gold members. Being 6'5", booking Exit row seats is the primary reason I would want status. Does anyone know if Gold's will receive a discount or access at a particular time, or will they be like any traveler in terms of MCE/exit row seating? Trying to figure out if dropping a few hundred to get Gold is worth it, expecting about 20-25k of travel next year.
I don't think anyone knows at this point in time, AA hasn't announced their plans with regards to GLDs and MCE. But status is always better than no-status.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:57 am

Based on the current trend with MCE and exit row access. I would not do a MR for Gold. The only exception would be if you fly mostly on planes that separate the exits from MCE.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA-GLD
Hello All. Just got the email today..."Welcome to AAdvantage Gold® membership!". Already logged into my account and bumped up my seat to main cabin extra for a flight I have ORD-LAS in Oct. Also going ORD-LAS in November with 4 other travelers and I saw that I could move all 5 of us up to main cabin extra seats for that flight.

Is there any kind of charge for moving their seats up as well? How about their bags since its all one reservation do they need to pay for checked bags?

Sorry for the silly new guy questions, I've never had any kind of elite status and I doubt I will be able to maintain it after this year is up.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by IceZ
Hello All. Just got the email today..."Welcome to AAdvantage Gold® membership!". Already logged into my account and bumped up my seat to main cabin extra for a flight I have ORD-LAS in Oct. Also going ORD-LAS in November with 4 other travelers and I saw that I could move all 5 of us up to main cabin extra seats for that flight.

Is there any kind of charge for moving their seats up as well? How about their bags since its all one reservation do they need to pay for checked bags?

Sorry for the silly new guy questions, I've never had any kind of elite status and I doubt I will be able to maintain it after this year is up.
Here you go, should all be in the guide: http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA-GLD
Originally Posted by djibouti
Here you go, should all be in the guide: http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf
Great thanks for the quick reply.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: aa gold
Is gold worth it?

Long time lurker, finally signed up. Anyways, I was plat for a few years, for the past few I had no buisness travel. Back in buisness, I currently need to make a monthly ord tpa flight. I can easily complete the gold challenge, but wondering if its worth spending the money because I always make the flight in paid F. Just looking for any insight in the decision. Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by bearsfanord
Long time lurker, finally signed up. Anyways, I was plat for a few years, for the past few I had no buisness travel. Back in buisness, I currently need to make a monthly ord tpa flight. I can easily complete the gold challenge, but wondering if its worth spending the money because I always make the flight in paid F. Just looking for any insight in the decision. Thanks!
I wouldn't do the challenge. With paid F, you already get benefits that GLD can't even give you. And, you'll get GLD in about 8 round trips via EQP.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I wouldn't do the challenge. With paid F, you already get benefits that GLD can't even give you. And, you'll get GLD in about 8 round trips via EQP.
What this guy said.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Why not do a PLT challenge instead? Unless you have no way of meeting the EQP requirement.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:03 pm
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-13.html

Search is your friend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.