Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA upgrade oneworld elites?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Does AA upgrade oneworld elites?

I'm planning overnight SFO-JFK on Dec 29(Friday).
Though there is no upgrade list for other One World's elites, how often does AA upgrade them?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Toki
I'm planning overnight SFO-JFK on Dec 29(Friday).
Though there is no upgrade list for other One World's elites, how often does AA upgrade them?
They don't.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The only time AA will upgrade OW elites is if there is an oversold situation in coach with open seats in the premium cabin.

If you have some AA miles, your best bet to score an upgrade is to waitlist using miles+copay.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The only time AA will upgrade OW elites is if there is an oversold situation in coach with open seats in the premium cabin.

If you have some AA miles, your best bet to score an upgrade is to waitlist using miles+copay.
That would be an upgrade based on operational necessity (OPUP) having nothing strictlyto do with elite status in the first place. Even then, the chance that AA would OPUP a non-AA elite are between slim and none.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. It seems pretty difficult to grab a chance for a full-flat seat, but I must happy for free MCE anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's difficult for AA's own top-tiers.
WFBBFB - Want Flat Bed, Buy Flat Bed.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:06 am

Thanks guys. It seems pretty difficult to grab a chance for a full-flat seat, but I must happy for free MCE anyway.
You will also get a free buy on board item and premium alcoholic beverage in Y if you are an OWE if it's any consolation.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That would be an upgrade based on operational necessity (OPUP) having nothing strictlyto do with elite status in the first place. Even then, the chance that AA would OPUP a non-AA elite are between slim and none.
Correct, but I would think they would prioritize OW elites in OPUPs after AA elites and before non-elites?

Maybe they don't even do that at all...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

You will also get a free buy on board item and premium alcoholic beverage in Y if you are an OWE if it's any consolation.
I couldn't find out that, only says "AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members get a complimentary alcoholic drink and food menu item." at dining page.
I know the meal may not good even if served, and I will eat dinner at SF and just sleep on board anyway...

So I don't care it much, but I'm still curious does AA serve food and alcohols for MCE passengers with the lowest fare?

Last edited by Toki; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:09 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
this is incorrect. the benefit only applies to EP and CK.

I couldn't find out that, only says "AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and ConciergeKeySM members get a complimentary alcoholic drink and food menu item." at dining page.
I know the meal may not good and even if served, I will eat dinner at SF and just sleep on board anyway...

So I don't care it much, but I'm still curious does AA serve food and alcohols for MCE passengers with the lowest fare?
You wont get any free food (except for little bags of snack mix or biscoffs) or alcohol in main cabin from SFO to JFK
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:09 am

I was upgraded on two separate occasions last year JFK-LAX as a BA Gold (OWE). In each instance the upgrade was from paid business class to first. These upgrades were done at the gate by the gate agent without any request by me, so presumably either an oversold situation or the GA trying to accommodate someone else's desire to sit in business. But in each instance the GA thanked me for being a valued Emerald member. And I of course was suitably appreciative.

So the answer to "do they" is "yes." The answer to "will they" in any given instance is almost certainly "no."

FWIW every time I fly AA in coach I am offered a free food item and/or an alcoholic drink. As far as I am aware the PDA carried by the flight attendant does not distinguish between OWE and EXP, both just show up as green. I've been thanked multiple times by the flight attendant for being a "valued EXP" member. So at least in practice the benefit does apply.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
I was upgraded on two separate occasions last year JFK-LAX as a BA Gold (OWE). In each instance the upgrade was from paid business class to first. These upgrades were done at the gate by the gate agent without any request by me, so presumably either an oversold situation or the GA trying to accommodate someone else's desire to sit in business. But in each instance the GA thanked me for being a valued Emerald member. And I of course was suitably appreciative.

So the answer to "do they" is "yes." The answer to "will they" in any given instance is almost certainly "no."

FWIW every time I fly AA in coach I am offered a free food item and/or an alcoholic drink. As far as I am aware the PDA carried by the flight attendant does not distinguish between OWE and EXP, both just show up as green. I've been thanked multiple times by the flight attendant for being a "valued EXP" member. So at least in practice the benefit does apply.
Thanks for telling your experience. AA doesn't say clearly but that would be a hidden benefit for any OWE.
I think AA manages transcontinental F/J as a same chunk and allocates F for elites if possible.

Last edited by Toki; Feb 17, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

I think AA manages transcontinental F/J as the same chunk then allocate F for elites if possible alike MCE and normal cabin system.
That's a tough sentence to try and decipher, but whatever it means, I think you've been severely misinformed.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
this is incorrect. the benefit only applies to EP and CK.

You wont get any free food (except for little bags of snack mix or biscoffs) or alcohol in main cabin from SFO to JFK
This is incorrect.

I am a BA Gold (OWE) and always get offered food/drink/alcohol in Y. Sometimes they refer to me as a EXP, but I've never had AA status.

But as to the OP's point... never an upgrade. Never even been allowed on the list so I don't even ask any more.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's a tough sentence to try and decipher, but whatever it means, I think you've been severely misinformed.
I meant airlines don't say clearly but often upgrade Y to PY / J to F for elites especially OWE, no upgrade list and not guaranteed but if possible.
There is also a big gap between Economy and Business and rarely upgrade except upgrade programs at the gap.

Last edited by Toki; Feb 17, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.