Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
Obviously I'm not understanding lounge access on an international itinerary for Platinum/OW Sapphire. Would appreciate knowing what I am missing.
Because "FFD" is Flagship First Dining and that is only accessible when flying in international long haul First Class (i.e. NOT business class). FFD is different than the FL (Flagship Lounge) which is for business class passengers or status passengers, flying long haul international business class. Status does not get you into FFD.

Regards
GVR Bill and Antarius like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by scubadu
Because "FFD" is Flagship First Dining and that is only accessible when flying in international long haul First Class...
... And transcon First Class, while it is still around. I guess with LAX still closed, and NYC converted to the joint American/British Airways lounges, the only domestic first class itineraries still able to get traditional FFD is MIA to LAX?
Old May 30, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
... And transcon First Class, while it is still around.<snip>
Yep, you are correct and good catch. I was typing a bit fast.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Adelphos
... And transcon First Class, while it is still around. I guess with LAX still closed, and NYC converted to the joint American/British Airways lounges, the only domestic first class itineraries still able to get traditional FFD is MIA to LAX?
Yes and now.. Yes in theory but leave it to AA to run the only 77W out of MIA to LAX at 11:15am before FFD is open. Been either like that or just No 77W for a while now.
Old May 31, 2023, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
On the following itinerary, would I have any or all of the following without paying for access beyond the flight tickets (note that the SFO->JFK is on A321 sharklet with 1:1 config first class seats, so assuming Flagship First)? I am asking because the transcon FF flight leaves on Jul 1 (same day I will be in DFW and SFO) and arrives Jul 2 (the day I will be at JFK).
A) DFW Flagship Lounge access
B) DFW Flagship First Dining access (for breakfast)
C) SFO Admirals Club access
D) Chelsea Lounge access

I am EXP but that should not matter as these are all domestic, albeit with SFO->JFK transcon.

Old May 31, 2023, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rossodio
On the following itinerary, would I have any or all of the following without paying for access beyond the flight tickets (note that the SFO->JFK is on A321 sharklet with 1:1 config first class seats, so assuming Flagship First)? I am asking because the transcon FF flight leaves on Jul 1 (same day I will be in DFW and SFO) and arrives Jul 2 (the day I will be at JFK).
A) DFW Flagship Lounge access
B) DFW Flagship First Dining access (for breakfast)
C) SFO Admirals Club access
D) Chelsea Lounge access

I am EXP but that should not matter as these are all domestic, albeit with SFO->JFK transcon.

Dang thats a lot of flying to get from SC to Ohio but at any rate you have access to DFW FL yes and FFD too however FFD at last check at DFW opens around 1230pm so you will miss out on that. At SFO yes for sure AC (J or F) and then Chelsea you will be able to get into based on F. You dont have too much time but I guess enough to most likely be told all they have Moet. Be sure to persist and tell them to go find some LPGS. The showers there are HOT which is a huge upside over the old FL there.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi all! I have an upcoming pair of flights - ORD-BOS, then BOS-LHR, on the same day and on Oneworld airlines (AA&BA) but on different record locators that seemingly cannot be merged as one flight is with a companion but the other isn’t.

I am a OWS from Alaska MVP Gold, and I believe that allows access to the flagship lounge at ORD before my first flight - but the reservation not being merged makes me fear that the attendants will deny me access.

can somebody please confirm that I’m correct regarding access (AA website indicates yes) and that the lounge workers will allow me entry even on two different reservations?

thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by whitf00t
Hi all! I have an upcoming pair of flights - ORD-BOS, then BOS-LHR, on the same day and on Oneworld airlines (AA&BA) but on different record locators that seemingly cannot be merged as one flight is with a companion but the other isn’t.

I am a OWS from Alaska MVP Gold, and I believe that allows access to the flagship lounge at ORD before my first flight - but the reservation not being merged makes me fear that the attendants will deny me access.

can somebody please confirm that I’m correct regarding access (AA website indicates yes) and that the lounge workers will allow me entry even on two different reservations?

thanks!
Just scan your BOS-LHR boarding pass at the ORD lounge. This should grant you entry. If they question whether or not you have access, make sure you say that you are a OneWorld Sapphire on an international itinerary, which gives you access.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by FlyFreakquently; Jun 1, 2023 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:33 am

2 passengers flying from HEL - LAX on AY arriving at 4pm, then flying to HNL next morning at 8am on AA. Separate tickets for the connecting flight to HNL.

HEL - LAX is 1 pax in J and 1 pax in Y — pax in J is OW Emerald and pax in Y OW Sapphire.

I wanted to grab some dinner before heading to hotel for the night - am I right in thinking that day of arrival access would be denied for my guest at LAX since my connecting flight is after 6am next day? I think I could access as J passenger, but can’t bring any guests.

I read above in thread that 6am may not be strictly enforced, but not sure if it’s worth it to try as I need to re-clear security.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by drcollosus85
2 passengers flying from HEL - LAX on AY arriving at 4pm, then flying to HNL next morning at 8am on AA. Separate tickets for the connecting flight to HNL.

HEL - LAX is 1 pax in J and 1 pax in Y — pax in J is OW Emerald and pax in Y OW Sapphire.

I wanted to grab some dinner before heading to hotel for the night - am I right in thinking that day of arrival access would be denied for my guest at LAX since my connecting flight is after 6am next day? I think I could access as J passenger, but can’t bring any guests.

I read above in thread that 6am may not be strictly enforced, but not sure if it’s worth it to try as I need to re-clear security.
Since your next flight is not until the next day neither of you will be allowed back through security after you arrive at LAX (so no lounge access).
_kurt, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:00 pm

Ah gotcha, thank you.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:42 am

LAX-ORD-AUH on EY in J will I be able to access FL at LAX and ORD or b/c EY isnt OW I cant? I used AA miles for the ticket so didnt even think but to go to FL but now realizing maybe no access? Would OW J be in play at LAX at least?
Old Jun 9, 2023, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
LAX-ORD-AUH on EY in J will I be able to access FL at LAX and ORD or b/c EY isnt OW I cant? I used AA miles for the ticket so didnt even think but to go to FL but now realizing maybe no access? Would OW J be in play at LAX at least?
No access to FL or any oneworld lounges at LAX or ORD. You might as well be flying Delta.

At ORD you can use whatever lounge EY contracts with.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No access to FL or any oneworld lounges at LAX or ORD. You might as well be flying Delta.

At ORD you can use whatever lounge EY contracts with.
Yikes, this is what I thought may be the case. The lounge they use looks bad, maybe not as bad as Swissport. But why does such a major airport have such poor lounges for their international terminal. This SAS lounge EY uses doesnt have bathrooms and clearly not showers. I am rethinking this itinerary and may just go on QR. Having a shower before 14 hours in the air is super important to me not to mention in this case it would be like 23 hours no shower b/c the red eye to Chicago plus the 5 hours layover time.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Yikes, this is what I thought may be the case. The lounge they use looks bad, maybe not as bad as Swissport. But why does such a major airport have such poor lounges for their international terminal. This SAS lounge EY uses doesnt have bathrooms and clearly not showers. I am rethinking this itinerary and may just go on QR. Having a shower before 14 hours in the air is super important to me not to mention in this case it would be like 23 hours no shower b/c the red eye to Chicago plus the 5 hours layover time.
You could always try to buy a day pass to the AC when your arrive at ORD, take a shower there and hang out for most of the connection time before heading to T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.