Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by Amil
wow. my dad is a 1 million gold and got no compensation or and pretty bad response from AA Customer Relations:
How lame. What did he originally write in / was it made clear that the class of service and product changed?

Was he able to access the FL?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
How lame. What did he originally write in / was it made clear that the class of service and product changed?

Was he able to access the FL?
Very clear cause I wrote it for him lol and he didn't go to FL he just went straight to gate he doesn't like complications when I told him they should honor it but might say something . Oh well.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Another alternative could have been to see if they could put you on Mint, but I’m sure availability and timing were both tight given a last minute change.
Ah, good point. I didn't even think of Mint. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Amil
Very clear cause I wrote it for him…
Hmm. I think if he paid for Flagship Business or Flagship First and the product he received was different, then shouldn't there be some kind of effort to make up for it? Maybe try contacting them again?
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Has anyone gotten the lounge agents to deviate from the access requirements at all? Traveling on a qualifying route as a PPro so I rate one guest but going to have my kid with us too. Is this like Vegas where I can slip them a $20 and weasel my way in?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Has anyone gotten the lounge agents to deviate from the access requirements at all? Traveling on a qualifying route as a PPro so I rate one guest but going to have my kid with us too. Is this like Vegas where I can slip them a $20 and weasel my way in?
Kids guest access is always YMMV in the end, your odds are going to greatly depend on how old your kid is. If they're 1 or 2 then you'll have a much better chance for the agent to just wave you all in compared to a teenager.
hawkfan7314 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Kids guest access is always YMMV in the end, your odds are going to greatly depend on how old your kid is. If they're 1 or 2 then you'll have a much better chance for the agent to just wave you all in compared to a teenager.
Kinda what I figured. Guess we will see how the agents are feeling that day.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Flying LAX-MCO-MIA-LHR with the LAX-MCO segment on the night before and the MCO-MIA-LHR the following day. I know, as a OW Sapphire, I'll get FL access in MIA, but will I be able to get it in LAX?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Flying LAX-MCO-MIA-LHR with the LAX-MCO segment on the night before and the MCO-MIA-LHR the following day. I know, as a OW Sapphire, I'll get FL access in MIA, but will I be able to get it in LAX?
Technically by the rules no access at LAX since it's the day before however as long as everything is on the same ticket then I've never been turned away the day before my qualifying flight.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:27 pm

Technically by the rules no access at LAX since it's the day before however as long as everything is on the same ticket then I've never been turned away the day before my qualifying flight.
Unfortunately not on the same ticket. Semi-related: I will be able to check in for the MIA-LHR flight using the kiosks at LAX, right?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately not on the same ticket. Semi-related: I will be able to check in for the MIA-LHR flight using the kiosks at LAX, right?
Not sure about the kiosks but an agent can definitely check you in as lond as you're within 24 hours of that flight.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not sure about the kiosks but an agent can definitely check you in as lond as you're within 24 hours of that flight.
Note if you are on separate tickets and they are not in the same PNR, your checked bags will not be through-checked, if you have any.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM; BA GLD; UA 1MM; Marriott Lfe Ti, Hyatt Glob, Hilt Dmd, IHG Dmd RA, GT Globility Board
Changing FF from AA EXPLAT to BA GOLD after being upgraded on AA domestic flight

Originally Posted by brp
Yes. OW Sapphire works for FL access even if not on the BP. Just need to show them the digital membership card. We do this all the time with BA Silver (OW Sapphire) status and it works like a charm. I always make sure we're still crediting to AA as one time
it got changed to BA.

The only time I've come close to having an issue was with a less experienced agent at the FL who was not as familiar with other OW member levels. A more senior agent came by and made it all work.

Cheers.
Traveling MIA-CVG on AA soon with no international connection. I bought an economy fare from AA and my EXPLAT upgrade to first class has just been confirmed. Now since I am also BA GOLD I would like to access the Flagship lounge in MIA, I have been able to do so in the past in similar situations by just showing my BA Gold card as mentioned in the post. But several times this year the agents at the entrance of the Admirals Club/Flagship have told me I would have to change the FF number from AA to BA at check-in to be allowed entry into the Flagship since this is a BA Gold privilege (they did eventually let me in "as an exception"). I don't really mind where the flight is credited, but if I do change the FF to BA at check-in would I then lose my upgrade since BA Gold do not get upgraded on AA? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jmurat1041
But several times this year the agents at the entrance of the Admirals Club/Flagship have told me I would have to change the FF number from AA to BA at check-in to be allowed entry into the Flagship since this is a BA Gold privilege (they did eventually let me in "as an exception")..
maybe this is documented somewhere on AA's site (the requirement to be crediting to the other program rather than just holding the status), but I've not seen it. So far I've not faced that. Similarly, never an issue at BA F lounges at LHR with AA EXP status.

Cheers.
jmurat1041 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:59 pm

Figured I'd follow up for the sake of a data point. Went to the OW lounge first since it was easier for the Uber driver to drop me off at TBIT (huge backup in the right two lanes between TBIT and T4). After presenting my passport (not sure why I'd need to show this) and BP, he told me that if I didn't have Sapphire or Emerald with an airline other than AA/AS, I couldn't get in because my intl. trip was the next day. I honestly couldn't care less, so I left and went to the FL in T4. Agent scanned my MIA-LHR boarding pass, handed me the invitation, and welcomed me in.
JJeffrey and ryanbriar like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by brp
maybe this is documented somewhere on AA's site (the requirement to be crediting to the other program rather than just holding the status), but I've not seen it. So far I've not faced that. Similarly, never an issue at BA F lounges at LHR with AA EXP status.

Cheers.
I don’t believe it is and have never received pushback when using my RAM gold card, including today at the MIA FL.

That said — the agent helping me in MIA had never dealt with a situation where lounge access status was not on the PNR, and initially wanted to change it on the PNR. Another agent was standing behind her and helped her click through to the screen where you validate access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.