Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Incorrect -- the rules require "seats ticketed as Flagship", not necessarily 3-class. There are two-class MIA-LAX flights with Flagship Business on a 787, which would have FL access. However, the narrowbodies on this route have the premium cabin marketed as (non-Flagship) First (coded J), like normal domestic flights -- no FL access in that case.
My answer was based on my reading of the wiki, and I've just re-read it. If you are correct -- and I'm not saying you aren't -- then the wiki needs to be corrected.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
Will be flying from Chicago to Los Angeles, then have an overnight connection, and then continue onward the next day in international business class - all on one ticket (award). Would I have access to the Admirals Lounge and/or Flagship Lounge in Chicago?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Will be flying from Chicago to Los Angeles, then have an overnight connection, and then continue onward the next day in international business class - all on one ticket (award). Would I have access to the Admirals Lounge and/or Flagship Lounge in Chicago?
By the rules no, but in practice yes. I've never had a problem accessing the FL the day before or after the qualifying int'l flight as long as everything is on the same ticket.

Also where is your flight from LAX to? That will determine whether it's FL or AC.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
By the rules no, but in practice yes. I've never had a problem accessing the FL the day before or after the qualifying int'l flight as long as everything is on the same ticket.

Also where is your flight from LAX to? That will determine whether it's FL or AC.
LAX-KIX. One difference is that I don't have any AA / OW status.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
LAX-KIX. One difference is that I don't have any AA / OW status.
It shouldn't matter as LAX-KIX business class definitely gets you into the FL.

My usual advice is this: when you get to the lounge at ORD, hand them your boarding pass to LAX, mutter something about "I'm on the way to Japan", and just let them scan you in and don't say anything else. IME they will give you a FL pass and welcome you in.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Question came to mind yesterday while entering the LAX FL. I am PPro ( thus OWE) and was connecting from a transcon Flagship J flight. There was a couple trying to enter but sounded like one of them didnt have access. I offered to guest the other person but turned out neither had access. Upon reflection, I was wondering whether I actually could have guested someone as I would be using a OWE privilege even though status would not offer lounge access for a domestic flight as my access was based on the ticket itself not status. Could I have guested someone?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kq747
Question came to mind yesterday while entering the LAX FL. I am PPro ( thus OWE) and was connecting from a transcon Flagship J flight. There was a couple trying to enter but sounded like one of them didnt have access. I offered to guest the other person but turned out neither had access. Upon reflection, I was wondering whether I actually could have guested someone as I would be using a OWE privilege even though status would not offer lounge access for a domestic flight as my access was based on the ticket itself not status. Could I have guested someone?
Yea, your PP/OWE status doesn’t get you anything here as you were accessing the FL via class of service. And for class of service access no guests are allowed with the exception of international F (1 guest).
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:00 pm

Hopefully I’m reading this right guys, I’m arriving into ORD from DUB in business on AA. I’m then flying domestic first to LAX. During my 3 hour stop over in ORD I qualify for FL access as I arrived on a transatlantic business class flight on the same ticket, have I understood that correctly?

This is a re-routing for me following a BA cancellation of a leg originally LHR-JFK-JFK which would have given me FL status as it is one of the transcon services!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AIKE
Hopefully I’m reading this right guys, I’m arriving into ORD from DUB in business on AA. I’m then flying domestic first to LAX. During my 3 hour stop over in ORD I qualify for FL access as I arrived on a transatlantic business class flight on the same ticket, have I understood that correctly?

This is a re-routing for me following a BA cancellation of a leg originally LHR-JFK-JFK which would have given me FL status as it is one of the transcon services!
Yes you will have Flagship lounge access at ORD.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes you will have Flagship lounge access at ORD.
Thanks for confirming. I had a quick scan on YouTube and the ORD FL looks to have some wonderful airside views!
Spanish likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:05 pm

Question for a friend who's AA lifetime Platinum, upgraded to J on a transcon JFK-SFO. His flight's now delayed by (at least) 1.5 hours. Will he have Lounge access at JFK? Also, does AA give meal vouchers for delayed dinner flights? Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mehitabel
Question for a friend who's AA lifetime Platinum, upgraded to J on a transcon JFK-SFO. His flight's now delayed by (at least) 1.5 hours. Will he have Lounge access at JFK? Also, does AA give meal vouchers for delayed dinner flights? Thanks for any info.
Yes business class on the 3-class transcons like JFK-SFO include lounge access so he can use the JFK FL.

And no, IME AA is not going to provide any food vouchers for a 1.5hr delay especially for a business pax as they will still be serving dinner on the plane and he can get a decent snack in the FL.
NYC Flyer and mehitabel like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes business class on the 3-class transcons like JFK-SFO include lounge access so he can use the JFK FL.

And no, IME AA is not going to provide any food vouchers for a 1.5hr delay especially for a business pax as they will still be serving dinner on the plane and he can get a decent snack in the FL.
Thanks for your quick reply - it's super helpful!
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze
transcon lounge question

I am flying in business on AA28 LAX (dep 11.45pm) to JFK transcon later this week.

How early can I check in and access the lounge? I’d normally do 2 hours before flight but because the flight is so late and hOrel check out so early I was thinking about turning up to the lounge about 4 hours early? Would this be allowed or is there a limit?

Also on landing in JFK is there a lounge that can be accessed?

thanks in advance
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by injom
I am flying in business on AA28 LAX (dep 11.45pm) to JFK transcon later this week.

How early can I check in and access the lounge? I’d normally do 2 hours before flight but because the flight is so late and hOrel check out so early I was thinking about turning up to the lounge about 4 hours early? Would this be allowed or is there a limit?

Also on landing in JFK is there a lounge that can be accessed?

thanks in advance
This is totally fine. There is no limit to how early you can arrive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.