Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Going back and reading the rules and posts here, it seems like I will NOT get Flagship access as an AS MVP75 on a LAX-SJO (Costa Rica) itinerary. Is that correct? Alternatively, would I have access to the QF F lounge in TBIT? Would it make a difference if I am upgraded to First?
An AA or AS elite never has access to the Flagship Lounge for LAX-SJO. That route is not considered international, for lounge access purposes. AA did temporarily change Admirals Club access to allow people in First/Business (but not in economy, this is class of service based entry, not OW status based entry) traveling to the Caribbean/Central America to access the AC, but honestly, it's a bit unclear whether that extends to FL access as the FL's were closed when AA made that change. The change is temporary, but AA hasn't put a date when this will change back to the regular entry requirements.

An AA/AS elite would never have access to the QF F lounge when flying this route (LAX-SJO), even if in business (there is technically no F on that route, even if sold as such, the booking/fare code is business). However, a non-AA/AS OneWorld Emerald, would indeed have access to the QF F lounge when flying this route, under OW entry requirements.

Hope that helps.

Regards
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
An AA or AS elite never has access to the Flagship Lounge for LAX-SJO. That route is not considered international, for lounge access purposes. AA did temporarily change Admirals Club access to allow people in First/Business (but not in economy, this is class of service based entry, not OW status based entry) traveling to the Caribbean/Central America to access the AC, but honestly, it's a bit unclear whether that extends to FL access as the FL's were closed when AA made that change. The change is temporary, but AA hasn't put a date when this will change back to the regular entry requirements.

An AA/AS elite would never have access to the QF F lounge when flying this route (LAX-SJO), even if in business (there is technically no F on that route, even if sold as such, the booking/fare code is business). However, a non-AA/AS OneWorld Emerald, would indeed have access to the QF F lounge when flying this route, under OW entry requirements.

Hope that helps.

Regards
This does help, thank you! Might still try to access Flagship if I am upgraded unless the temporary exception gets more clarity between now and July when I'm traveling.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
This does help, thank you! Might still try to access Flagship if I am upgraded unless the temporary exception gets more clarity between now and July when I'm traveling.
It certainly never hurts to ask. For future reference, as your trip gets closer, the language for the change to Admiral's Club access can be found here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp

Scroll down to "Qualifying First and Business" and you'll see the following sentence: "For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico."
This should cover your LAX-SJO trip, if you get upgraded (you can click the "Details" pull down for specifics)

However, note in the Flagship Lounge access requirements here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...rstandbusiness

they did not add that same language. My gut tells me that the FL check-in agent will likely follow that guidance and deny access, but certainly never hurts to ask/try.

Regards
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
deleted
Spanish likes this.

Last edited by Cheynewalk; Mar 2, 2022 at 1:55 am Reason: misread
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:17 am

Flying to and from Hawaii in business via DFW. On the way back, our red eye has a 90 minute layover at DFW (first flight arriving just after 7 AM). Wondering if it is worth taking a later second leg (2 hours later) to give us time to access the Flagship Lounge, maybe get a shower and some good food.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Flying to and from Hawaii in business via DFW. On the way back, our red eye has a 90 minute layover at DFW (first flight arriving just after 7 AM). Wondering if it is worth taking a later second leg (2 hours later) to give us time to access the Flagship Lounge, maybe get a shower and some good food.
Is this a question?

Regards
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Is this a question?

Regards
Yes, was trying to get feedback to see if I should ask for a change to a longer layover to take advantage of the lounge (since we just received a bunch of schedule changes on this itinerary).
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yes, was trying to get feedback to see if I should ask for a change to a longer layover to take advantage of the lounge (since we just received a bunch of schedule changes on this itinerary).
Really a personal decision, but for me 90 mins would be plenty especially as you're arriving in the early AM off a relatively quick overnight flight (at presumably the end of the trip). The FL's are nice and all but at that point the last thing I would want is to spend another 2 hours there instead of just getting home. 1.5 hours is ample time for a shower and bite to eat.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:55 am

Well, to me that is pretty much a personal preference question. Would I do that? No. But, I mostly fly business class, have spent plenty of time in lounges (including FLs), so it isn't something I'd go out of my way for. Frankly, the food and shower at my house is far, far better than what I'll get in the FL.

So, for me it's a no. YMMV.

Regards
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum

I second exactly what Scubadu said. The shower at my house and the food at my local food truck will both always be better... Also, if DFW water will be set at the JFK/MIA temps then the shower is nothing . LAX is good, it gets hot. The food at FL is decent but I would never go out of my way for it. Plus, its never hot from sitting out. Its not bad. I am way tougher on FFD b/c of the expectations.

Shower and food at home (or on the way home for sure)
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:47 am

Use Both AC and FL in same visit?

Friend of mine has AC membership and Oneworld Emerald with BA.

Went to MIA yesterday, was given FL pass. He wanted to go into AC first to grab the new BBQ sliders since FL food has been the same since January. Agent upstairs told him (with his FL pass in hand) that he could not enter AC and FL. Had to choose one.

Given that he has access to both, is this true?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by IceSlater

Given that he has access to both, is this true?
No, that is not true. I've done this many times without a problem.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by wolf539
No, that is not true. I've done this many times without a problem.
Good to know. Thanks. Unfortunately, many agents don't have seem to have the correct training.
wolf539 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Obviously a personal preference, but even back when I was in FL lounges all the time, I would take the later flight. I find that having a nice shower and decent breakfast after the redeye "resets my clock" and lets me get through the rest of the day without feeling the effects of jet lag. And for me, 0730 is a perfect time to do this. If you've let normal day-to-day email and other work go unattended while on (presumably) vacation, getting caught up while enjoying libations at the lounge is nice, and then when you're really home you're not under quite the pile of catch up work. And if you don't have the opportunity to visit FL regularly, I would recommend trying it. While it may be true that you have better food/showers at home, there is some novelty to the FL, IMHO. Of course, YMMV.
BERGBRLY likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I am BA OWE flying LHR-JFK on BA in J. Then a separate ticket a few hours later JFK-RDU in AA F. I think I can use the flagship lounge at JFK as BA OWE can for any flights in the USA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.