Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Curious to see if they will remain self-serve (drink-wise) or with fridges of canned/bottled drinks or if everything will be served now? If the latter, it will be a mess like Centurion lounges, which are nothing more than glorified school cafeterias with people lining up for trays of food. I imagine a lot of the niceties will disappear (live cooking station, jars of candy, etc) in the name of Covid safety even beyond the pandemic.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Curious to see if they will remain self-serve (drink-wise) or with fridges of canned/bottled drinks or if everything will be served now? If the latter, it will be a mess like Centurion lounges, which are nothing more than glorified school cafeterias with people lining up for trays of food. I imagine a lot of the niceties will disappear (live cooking station, jars of candy, etc) in the name of Covid safety even beyond the pandemic.
Most ACs are already back to self-serve food and beverages. I don't know why FLs would be any different in that respect when they reopen.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Your access to FL Vs. FFD would not be differentiated here. Your arriving BP from the FF Transcon gets you into FL/FFD upon arrival. You can have access to both until your DCA flight. However, if you leave maybe tell the desk you are leaving and will be back. Or when you come back just obviously show the BP from the arrival. Additionally, I have heard some people say FFD is meant for 1 meal but not to leave and return but in theory you can go take a stroll of the terminal and still come back to FFD. You should be good to go for both.

However, unless I've missed something FL is closed. Just still being used as Admirals overflow. And even if its open FFD is def. not open yet.
Thanks so much for your response! Yeah, I see that the lounges won't open until September, which will be well after my flight in August. 😒
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Any flagship access for mainland to hawaii flights?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm flying International via LAX Wednesday. Since the FL isn't open how is the A club there? It's in T4 right? Do I have any other OW lounge options anyone can recommend?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Any flagship access for mainland to hawaii flights?
Not based on pre-covid access rules unless one is a non-AA/AS OWS/OWE. Who knows what "expanded FL access" will bring about. I wouldn't hold up high hopes.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm flying International via LAX Wednesday. Since the FL isn't open how is the A club there? It's in T4 right? Do I have any other OW lounge options anyone can recommend?
I heard that the FL lounge was basically converted into an AC and that some folks were able to use the Qantas First Class Lounge. According to Google Maps, they claim that the OW business lounge is opened during limited hours, but I haven't seen any threads or comments confirming this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by physicsdude
I heard that the FL lounge was basically converted into an AC and that some folks were able to use the Qantas First Class Lounge. According to Google Maps, they claim that the OW business lounge is opened during limited hours, but I haven't seen any threads or comments confirming this.
Both the oneworld Business lounge and QF F lounge have remained closed in LAX TBIT. Where did you hear that anyone was able to use the QF F lounge? Google Maps "opening hours" is about the least reliable source I can think of regarding airport lounges opening or not, lol.

Unless something has changed very recently, it's well documented that the AC in T4 and thr AS lounge in T6 are currently the only oneworld lounge options at LAX.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Both the oneworld Business lounge and QF F lounge have remained closed in LAX TBIT. Where did you hear that anyone was able to use the QF F lounge? Google Maps "opening hours" is about the least reliable source I can think of regarding airport lounges opening or not, lol.

Unless something has changed very recently, it's well documented that the AC in T4 and thr AS lounge in T6 are currently the only oneworld lounge options at LAX.
I thought I saw someone say that they were able to use the Qantas lounge somewhere on the flagship lounge thread or something and in regards to google search, that's what I had thought as well since anyone with a google account can edit the hours lol.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Anyone know when we will learn about the new flagship lounge access rules?
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:09 pm
BCH

2 quick questions. I'm flying in Flagship First on JFK-SFO flight at the end of July. I understand that the FL is closed and there is no FFD nowadays either.

Are there *any* special perks for FF passengers at the JFK AC lounge? (Will I at least get to sip some Krug?)

And upon arrival at SFO, is the AC in Terminal 1 my only option? (I don't have any status with One World airlines.)
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by BCH
2 quick questions. I'm flying in Flagship First on JFK-SFO flight at the end of July. I understand that the FL is closed and there is no FFD nowadays either.

Are there *any* special perks for FF passengers at the JFK AC lounge? (Will I at least get to sip some Krug?)

And upon arrival at SFO, is the AC in Terminal 1 my only option? (I don't have any status with One World airlines.)
There was absolutely nothing to differentiate my experience as a FF passenger Lax-Mia last month. You would think they could make an area for F or why not even though FL is technically closed just have it be the F area. Even if the better food/buffet/alcohol isnt available. So to answer your question both outbound lax & returning from Mia there was nothing different at all. Showers at MIA were NOT open as someone incorrectly said on FT in this or maybe a diff thread. No Krug.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by BCH

I am not aware of any benefits being in f. I wasn't offered anything more then admission to the lounge. Ie no krug or fancy drinks of any type

Also the SFO lounge has VERY limited hours. Check it's open. The aa lounge at SFO wasn't even open for the redeyes including the jfk "premium" flight! Significantly shorter hours in the name of covid at SFO.

The jfk lounge when I was there not long ago was nicer then the terminal and great views but nothing really compared to the flagship amenities. I wouldn't expect too much tbh. it's cheap snacks and drinks. Service in the air was still pretty nice and the most normal to pre covid I've seen.
​​​​​​

Last edited by lunchtime; Jun 27, 2021 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by lunchtime

Also the SFO lounge has VERY limited hours. Check it's open. The aa lounge at SFO wasn't even open for the redeyes including the jfk "premium" flight! Significantly shorter hours in the name of covid at SFO.
​​​​​​
This isn't the case anymore, the lounge had its hours expanded a month ago. 5:00am - 11:30pm

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...s/sfo-club.jsp
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by physicsdude

I keep reporting it closed then google ends up opening no idea why. lol

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
There was absolutely nothing to differentiate my experience as a FF passenger Lax-Mia last month. You would think they could make an area for F or why not even though FL is technically closed just have it be the F area. Even if the better food/buffet/alcohol isnt available. So to answer your question both outbound lax & returning from Mia there was nothing different at all. Showers at MIA were NOT open as someone incorrectly said on FT in this or maybe a diff thread. No Krug.
thats odd cause I thought I saw people coming out of the MIA showers on tuesday but I might have been wrong.
physicsdude likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.