Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Arrow Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

sorry if this has been answered but i can't find the answer. 2 questions:

1) Flying JFK - YVR on CX, one pax in F and one in J, neither has status. Can the F pax guest the J pax into the F dining and the F lounge?

2) Flying YVR - JFK also on CX, both pax in J, are we able to access the Flagship lounge for a shower upon arrival?

thanks
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by shore9
sorry if this has been answered but i can't find the answer. 2 questions:

1) Flying JFK - YVR on CX, one pax in F and one in J, neither has status. Can the F pax guest the J pax into the F dining and the F lounge?

2) Flying YVR - JFK also on CX, both pax in J, are we able to access the Flagship lounge for a shower upon arrival?
I thought that First Dining was for AA flights only, but, however, CX's lounge page says "Access to Flagship First Dining is only available to First Class passengers" implying that First Dining is accessible for their F passengers. There is no mention of guests in relation to Dining.

CX F and J passengers have access to Flagship lounge. There is no mention of access on arrival (but neither is there a mention of departing flights only).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:31 am

AA Plat flying in economy from TYO-LAX-PHX and I have a significant layover in LAX. I have done this before and had no problem with flagship access in LAX and others posting above indicate that it gets access.

However, when I look at the rules I am not sure. They require those with AA status to be “departing on or connecting to a qualifying international” flight. Is this new language or is it just not traditionally enforced as it seems to be written?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lkar
AA Plat flying in economy from TYO-LAX-PHX and I have a significant layover in LAX. I have done this before and had no problem with flagship access in LAX and others posting above indicate that it gets access.

However, when I look at the rules I am not sure. They require those with AA status to be “departing on or connecting to a qualifying international” flight. Is this new language or is it just not traditionally enforced as it seems to be written?
Not sure why they specify "to" in the access rules, but you will definitely have access, as long as your onward connection to PHX is before 6AM the following day.
lkar likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Is the Flagship Lounge at DCA open yet?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nologic
Is the Flagship Lounge at DCA open yet?
DCA is not slated to have a Flagship Lounge.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lkar

AA has been liberal with next day access, but they can change that. Perhaps, though I hope not, in November when they institute new, more restrictive Club access rules for Club members.

But the onward flight on a qualifying oneworld airline by 0600 the following morning has been in the rules for some time.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:55 am

I'm flying the following itinerary from HKG-CUN and was wondering if I had lounge acess? If it helps, I am also OW Sapphire.

HKG-LAX-JFK-MIA-CUN-MIA-JFK-LAX

I'm flying in biz on the international and transcon leg and on first class for the JFK-MIA leg.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Alex Lam
I'm flying the following itinerary from HKG-CUN and was wondering if I had lounge acess? If it helps, I am also OW Sapphire.

HKG-LAX-JFK-MIA-CUN-MIA-JFK-LAX

I'm flying in biz on the international and transcon leg and on first class for the JFK-MIA leg.
wow long journey. Assume you are routing via JFK and MIA for the extra EQMs? You should have flagship lounge access in LAX, JFK, and MIA as well as OW J lounge access (CX and Qantas have many J lounges in HKG). I might also suggest checking out the LAX OW J lounge which isn’t bad and I find reasonably comparable to the Flsgship lounge although others prefer flagship.
zpaul and pmblinn like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:21 pm

It’s probably been asked before but i couldn’t find it. I’m flying MEX-DFW-ORD soon. Will I be able to access FL on arrival at ORD? All flights are on the same day.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by gateH15
It’s probably been asked before but i couldn’t find it. I’m flying MEX-DFW-ORD soon. Will I be able to access FL on arrival at ORD? All flights are on the same day.
Yes, assuming you are AA EXP/PP/P, or in J/F.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Yes, assuming you are AA EXP/PP/P, or in J/F.
thanks. I’m have status and in F but wasn’t sure if you need onward boarding pass to access the FL
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by gateH15

thanks. I’m have status and in F but wasn’t sure if you need onward boarding pass to access the FL
For arrivals, keep a paper BP just in case mobile BP expires when you land.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:34 am

Please forgive me, if my sort of routing and lounge access was already asked.

Flying from FRA-LHR-LAX (booked with CX award, all in C on BA metal) and connecting LAX to HNL in Y (on AA metal) on same day. Connecting time is 4 hours.

Am I eligible for AA Flagship Lounge LAX access since I am coming in from LHR in C (BA metal). Please keep in mind that my connecting to HNL is in Y.

Thanks.

Last edited by ghost48; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: Adding information
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ghost48
Please forgive me, if my sort of routing and lounge access was already asked.

Flying from FRA-LHR-LAX (booked with CX award, all in C on BA metal) and connecting LAX to HNL in Y (on AA metal) on same day. Connecting time is 4 hours.

Am I eligible for AA Flagship Lounge LAX access since I am coming in from LHR in C (BA metal). Please keep in mind that my connecting to HNL is in Y.

Thanks.
Yes. If LAX-HNL is in the same reservation as your BA flights, then no trouble at all. If it's a separate reservation, make sure you hang on to your LHR-LAX boarding pass; that's what will get you in and that's what you should present first to the dragon.
ghost48 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.