Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
With your BAEC Gold status, you have access regardless of arrival/departure times, as long departing flight is OW. Also, remember that you'll have access to the QF F Lounge located in TBIT which is accessible through an airside connector from T4. The only complication might be having access to the LAX Flagship First Dining prior to your LAS connection, but they might you in anyway due to the prior Transcon F flight the night before.
Thanks! I have just realised that I hadn't updated my profile as I am now BA Silver, not Gold. So if it all goes pear shaped on the way to LAS, there is always the flight back a few days later. Do you mean that the Transcontinental flight in F allows entry to the QF F lounge, or did you mean I would have been allowed due to my BA Gold?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sheppy26
Thanks! I have just realised that I hadn't updated my profile as I am now BA Silver, not Gold. So if it all goes pear shaped on the way to LAS, there is always the flight back a few days later. Do you mean that the Transcontinental flight in F allows entry to the QF F lounge, or did you mean I would have been allowed due to my BA Gold?
Transcon F on AA does get you access to the QF F Lounge, but they are sticklers on following the rules (since they only get paid by AA for access when they do), you'll probably not get access due not meeting the "before 6:00 AM" for the connecting flight.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Transcon F on AA does get you access to the QF F Lounge, but they are sticklers on following the rules (since they only get paid by AA for access when they do), you'll probably not get access due not meeting the "before 6:00 AM" for the connecting flight.
The fact that OP lands after midnight changes that, doesn't it? Same day access?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321
The fact that OP lands after midnight changes that, doesn't it? Same day access?
Good point!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Flagship dining LAX-SFO-JFK

Hi,

I would like a booking that routes from LAX to JFK through SFO. The SFO-JFK segment is on Transcon First, and LAX-SFO either in Main Cabin or First. Will I have flagship dining in LAX?

Last edited by JALOO5-Flyer; Dec 15, 2018 at 10:16 am Reason: Oof a stupid typo
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
Hi,

I would like a booking that routes from LAX to JFK through SFO. The SFO-JFK segment is on Transcon First, and LAX-JFK either in Main Cabin or First. Will I have flagship dining in LAX?
yes
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
By rule, no, unless your flight the next day departs before 6am the next day.

However, some people have reported luck by handing over their BP with "INTERNATIONAL" stamped on it. Give it a shot, but expect to be rejected (unless your international flight the next day departs before 6am).
got denied by the meanies at T4, AA doesn’t give a hoot about their elites
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nk15

You should have tried the QF F lounge - their rules do not seem to be as strict in regards to same day (they look at itinerary, not timings).

But, even on AA's website, the rule about 6am same day is only indicated for qualifying First and Business customers (there is a tiny asterisk to show it) and not for EXP's on international trips or Emeralds.

I think we should start asking them to show us where it says we don't have access
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid

I think we should start asking them to show us where it says we don't have access
+1000
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Good point, I wish I knew that, there were two door agents plus they called in the supervisor...I also wish I realized that the TB terminal was adjacent, I would have walked but didn't have too much time.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

They should be cordial about it but to be fair, you were not entitled to access so....they weren't being "meanies" in the denial and extrapolating that to mean AA doesn't "give a hoot about their elites" is silly.

Good point, I wish I knew that, there were two door agents plus they called in the supervisor...I also wish I realized that the TB terminal was adjacent, I would have walked but didn't have too much time.
The TBIT walk at a brisk pace is about 5 minutes, its not far at all. That said...the same rules apply at the QF F lounge so not likely you would have had a different result once they scanned the BP. Not trying to be harsh but we on FT, rightfully, complain about those that wrongfully deny access because that's a violation of policy and if we want the agents to follow policy when we are allowed in it seems a bit off to complain when you were rightfully denied. Can't blame you for trying, if you don't try the answer is always no, but when the answer is rightfully no you should not be upset IMO.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
That said...the same rules apply at the QF F lounge so not likely you would have had a different result once they scanned the BP. Not trying to be harsh but we on FT, rightfully, complain about those that wrongfully deny access because that's a violation of policy and if we want the agents to follow policy when we are allowed in it seems a bit off to complain when you were rightfully denied. Can't blame you for trying, if you don't try the answer is always no, but when the answer is rightfully no you should not be upset IMO.
The oneworld lounge access rules (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access) say nothing about same day or pre-6am flights - except in relation to Qualifying First and Business Class passengers who do not have access due to one world status. For Emeralds they only exclude AA members who are flying solely within N. America with no reference to same day.

The AA Flagship rules are structured exactly the same - the same day and pre-6am rule is only there for non-status F and J passengers.

If there are rules written elsewhere that say different, and that supersede what is written on the website, can someone pease post the link to them.

Or am I misreading these websites?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:16 pm

The oneworld lounge access rules (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access) say nothing about same day or pre-6am flights - except in relation to Qualifying First and Business Class passengers who do not have access due to one world status. For Emeralds they only exclude AA members who are flying solely within N. America with no reference to same day.

The AA Flagship rules are structured exactly the same - the same day and pre-6am rule is only there for non-status F and J passengers.

If there are rules written elsewhere that say different, and that supersede what is written on the website, can someone pease post the link to them.

Or am I misreading these websites?
While I am always happy when people get access, I think you being upset is misplaced. I think it is pretty clear that you would not have access in this scenario.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:32 pm

While I am always happy when people get access, I think you being upset is misplaced. I think it is pretty clear that you would not have access in this scenario.
It isn't clear to me what scenario you are referring to when you say 'this scenario' since there is no scenario in what you quote.

All I am asking is that people who keep saying something doesn't allow access provide references to the places where they have read the rules that say that. I think we are all well aware that AA applies the rules as people say, but no-one ever explains why the rules on the AA website and the OneWorld website do not say what everyone keeps saying that they do say.

I don't have a point of view here, or a feeling of upsetness - I am just asking that people point to their source of evidence.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:01 pm

It isn't clear to me what scenario you are referring to when you say 'this scenario' since there is no scenario in what you quote.

All I am asking is that people who keep saying something doesn't allow access provide references to the places where they have read the rules that say that. I think we are all well aware that AA applies the rules as people say, but no-one ever explains why the rules on the AA website and the OneWorld website do not say what everyone keeps saying that they do say.

I don't have a point of view here, or a feeling of upsetness - I am just asking that people point to their source of evidence.
I think you have to put it together using common sense.
"To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline." - safe to say this means departing THAT day. What else could it be?

Class of service:
"First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day" - pretty clear.

For AA members:
"American Airlines AAdvantageŽ members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean." - It would seem very logical to say if you are flying the day before, it is 'solely' NA.

What other way is there to reasonably interpret this to mean FL lounge access the previous day domestic flight?

In theory, are you saying if it is an international itinerary and I have stopovers in MIA, JFK and LAX over 3-4 days, one can access FL lounge on each day as an AA elite?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand how you can interpret the rules to mean the previous day(s) domestic flights should grant access to the FL lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.