Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hts
Flying DFW-LHR-FCO RT this fall with the fam. I’m EP. My understanding is that I can bring one guest into the FL. Are we not able to bring our 3 teenagers in as well? If that is the official policy, does anyone know how strictly it is enforced at DFW and LHR?
The Flagship Lounge rules are pretty specific and limited to one guest. If you were traveling with just one younger child then there's a good chance a friendly agent may let you in, however with 3 extra (older) guests I'd say it's not likely.

In this situation I would just get an AC membership as it allows access for all immediate family under 18. Is the DFW FL even going to be completed by the fall? Right now it's just a temp lounge in terminal D that's not very nice, i.e the normal AC's in DFW are just as good.

And at LHR, a few years back I was definitely denied entry to the FL with 2 family guests, sent to the normal AC (I'm a member). The agent even made a comment that I could use the FL with one guest but not both.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:40 am
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Allow me to clarify. I do have an AC membership and am sitting in the AUS AC as I type this. I asked the gals at the counter when I checked in this am if they knew how strict the DFW and LHR Flagship lounges were in terms of enforcement and she just came back and told me neither are open yet. I must be confused because I thought we visited FL in both DFW and LHR this past Feb, but she called them “premium lounges”. The one in DFW was just a tiny room with nicer food/drink—no big deal, but the one in LHR was way nicer than any typical AC. So does anyone know what the guest rule access is for these clubs, whatever they’re called?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Based on my experience, most flagship lounges will reject more than one guest and invite you to use the admirals club.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by hts
Allow me to clarify. I do have an AC membership and am sitting in the AUS AC as I type this. I asked the gals at the counter when I checked in this am if they knew how strict the DFW and LHR Flagship lounges were in terms of enforcement and she just came back and told me neither are open yet. I must be confused because I thought we visited FL in both DFW and LHR this past Feb, but she called them “premium lounges”. The one in DFW was just a tiny room with nicer food/drink—no big deal, but the one in LHR was way nicer than any typical AC. So does anyone know what the guest rule access is for these clubs, whatever they’re called?
DFW now has a premium lounge in Terminal D, which is a temp lounge while the FL is being built. LHR also has a first class/premium lounge which is accessed through the same check-in as the AC, but it too isn't a true FL.

As another poster said, your chances of getting more than a +1 into these specific lounges is very low.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hts
Dallas had what I think was called "Flagship Dining", which was in a conference room off the regular Admiral's Club in Terminal D. Access was like the old Flagship (First Class) Lounges - Exec Plats and OW Emeralds plus OW First Class passengers, and I believe the offering was similar to the old FLs -- buffet style dining. There is now the "Premium Lounge" in DFW-D, I'm not sure if this is the same offering; the regular AC in D lounge is closed now.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

LHR has an Admiral's Club (albeit with more substantial food offerings than a typical AC, at least than the typical AC used to offer before I think they upgraded them), as well as an International First Class Lounge (originally called the Flagship Lounge), again, with access for Exec Plats/OWE and First Class passengers with a more substantial food spread than the AC and a limited table service/menu offering. See link above for that also.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
1 guest per EXP. The rules are quite clear, and are properly enforced across the network.

We've seen the Centurion Lounge crowding issues....I think OneWorld got it right. One guest. Period. Especially now that Business/PLT/SPH are allowed into Flagship as well when traveling on "international" itineraries.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 23, 2018 at 7:36 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hts
As there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW or LHR currently, its impossible anyway.

DFW hasn’t had a Flagship Lounge in many years. The one you are thinking of was inside the A Admirals Club, adjacent to the Arrivals Lounge. They’ve both been closed for years, and we’re completely eliminated after the recent A Club refurbishment.

There is a temporary D Premium Lounge restricted to those flying in a premium cabin on qualifying flights. It is possible the new DFW Flagship Lounge could open sometime next year. So for DFW, you have the A, B and C; the D Club is temporarily closed.

The LHR Flagship Lounge was renovated not long ago, and is currently an International First Class Lounge - to be a Flagship Lounge once again in the “near” future.

See here for Flagship Lounge locations and access policies.

The chances of being allowed three teenaged guests otherwise unqualified by not having status or arriving / departing in a qualifying cabin and flight in the Flagship Lounge with an Admirals Club membership are virtually zero, as you are thinking about Admirals Club member policies and Flagship Lounge neither have extended family allowance nor flexibility to allow three guests.

If you were all flying those routes in Business Class you’d be eligible to use the DFW Premium Lounge.

You can see the oneworld lounge access policies here.

We will probably merge this into the Flagship Lounge access thread soon.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The FL lounge at JFK was pretty clear on guesting. I was guesting a friend who was travelling on DL and they weren't initially sure if that would work (that turned out to be OK). When I mentioned that I was guesting in a colleague who was on the way, the agent asked if I had already guested anybody in already and noted the one guest limitation. I mentioned that I had not and she seemed satisfied with that response.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by hts
Flying DFW-LHR-FCO RT this fall with the fam. I’m EP. My understanding is that I can bring one guest into the FL. Are we not able to bring our 3 teenagers in as well? If that is the official policy, does anyone know how strictly it is enforced at DFW and LHR?
The temporary DFW "premium lounge" (if it can be called that) is really nothing to write home about. It's certainly more than the room that was allocated previously but it certainly doesn't compare with the actual Flagship Lounges at LAX, MIA, JFK, or even ORD and just has a slightly expanded food offering over the clubs.

To maximize the value for your household travelers, instead of getting an Admirals Club membership which would still not provide enough guests in the same visit, consider the Citi Executive Card which would enable you to provide admirals club access to each of your card holders, even if you're not traveling with them (subject to club unaccompanied minor/age rules). Each of the travelers in your household would then effectively have their own Admirals Club access via the card.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
It sounds like you aren't going to be at a true Flagship Lounge so this may be a moot point but I'm curious if this could work... Does AA still do the status challenges? Can't remember the price but depending on future travel plans could be worth some consideration. I don't know all the ins/outs of this but Mrs. WiscAZ and I only have two children so it could make sense in the right situation for the Mrs. to do a status challenge to gain access. At the right time of the year she may even be able to meet the requirements. Again, this is written with absolutely zero knowledge of the policy these days.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The FL lounge at JFK was pretty clear on guesting. I was guesting a friend who was travelling on DL and they weren't initially sure if that would work (that turned out to be OK). When I mentioned that I was guesting in a colleague who was on the way, the agent asked if I had already guested anybody in already and noted the one guest limitation. I mentioned that I had not and she seemed satisfied with that response.
DL guest shouldn't have been OK - OW rules specify that the guest must also be flying onward on a OW flight (though doesn't have to be the same flight as the qualifying member).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by lds89
DL guest shouldn't have been OK - OW rules specify that the guest must also be flying onward on a OW flight (though doesn't have to be the same flight as the qualifying member).
The OW rules say that but the AA FL lounge rules are totally silent on the matter- they only said a guest...

Guest access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:16 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Thanks All. I guess we'll think about getting 2 of us (which 2?) into the Premium lounges at DFW and LHR while the other 3 of us slum it in the reg AC.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hts
Thanks All. I guess we'll think about getting 2 of us (which 2?) into the Premium lounges at DFW and LHR while the other 3 of us slum it in the reg AC.
As mentioned above, given the current situation with regards to the DFW temp premium lounge, the normal ACs at DFW are just as nice. Not to mention since you're the EXP and also the AC member it's technically against the rules to do that.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Yes. If OLCI and hand baggage only then go straight to T3, otherwise you will have to start by checking in at T5 and taking transport to T3. You can transfer back on the air side bus if you are within its operating hours.
So, if I am flying BA J from Chicago, can I check in at Terminal 5, then go to Terminal 3 and hangout at FL? No issues at security in T3? If that works, then I assume I can take the airside intra-terminal bus to Terminal 5 too, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.