Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (expanded 2017) thru 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
don't disbelieve you just not sure of the logic. The original announcement regarding tableside service called it just Flagship Dining. Now in later posts it called Flagship First Dining. However the rest appears to be the same. Since I know you have inside AA knowledge/access, have you asked? Even the JFK check-in agents last week indicated well get dining access once it's finished shortly. Thus my confusion.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
don't disbelieve you just not sure of the logic. The original announcement regarding tableside service called it just Flagship Dining. Now in later posts it called Flagship First Dining. However the rest appears to be the same. Since I know you have inside AA knowledge/access, have you asked? Even the JFK check-in agents last week indicated well get dining access once it's finished shortly. Thus my confusion.
I haven't asked but can't really think of a reason to, personally speaking. The page and all the P.R. they have put out on this has been uniform on this change to my knowledge.

This from a few weeks ago:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-jfk-updates/

On top of that, keep in mind that American will roll out Flagship Dining, a sit-down dining experience for international first class passengers, as well as those traveling in A321 transcon first class to Los Angeles or San Francisco (oneworld Emerald members will not have access to this).
Old May 12, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
My understanding was that the DFW dining option was put in place specifically to provide a temporary dining option similar to the current Flagship Lounge (IFC Lounge) options available. Once the actual Flagship Lounge opens in DFW, that is where EXP/OWE will continue to dine, with international First customers able to access waiter/restaurant style dining in the Flagship dining experience, which is a step above the current dining option in DFW in terms of service, quality, ambiance, and overall experience.

This is why a city like ORD, that currently has a Flagship Lounge, will not receive the Flagship Dining experience, as there will likely be only the one, perhaps two daily flights to LHR that have actual three cabin First service.

Last edited by GotCalcio4; May 12, 2017 at 1:07 am
Old May 12, 2017, 5:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When FC dining is implemented in JFK FL lounge, will anyone be dining? We all know how superior the in-flight FC dining is.
In a more serious vein, should one be TIPPING the waiters--that issue was discussed in another thread: "do you tip bar staff when getting free drinks in AC?"
Old May 12, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by nrr
When FC dining is implemented in JFK FL lounge, will anyone be dining? We all know how superior the in-flight FC dining is.
In a more serious vein, should one be TIPPING the waiters--that issue was discussed in another thread: "do you tip bar staff when getting free drinks in AC?"
Why not leave a little something? I always leave a few dollars for the lounge attendants in the regular ACs who collect the refuse. Those people work hard too.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
My understanding was that the DFW dining option was put in place specifically to provide a temporary dining option similar to the current Flagship Lounge (IFC Lounge) options available. Once the actual Flagship Lounge opens in DFW, that is where EXP/OWE will continue to dine, with international First customers able to access waiter/restaurant style dining in the Flagship dining experience, which is a step above the current dining option in DFW in terms of service, quality, ambiance, and overall experience.
This is how the upcoming FFD (Flagship First Dining) is described on the page Jon linked: "Choose from a seasonal, multi-course menu that features fresh, regionally-inspired dishes designed by an Executive Chef."
From what I've read/heard/seen, the DFW FD is not that.
(Of course we all know the marketing and the operations people probably work in separate wings and don't talk.)
Old May 12, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by nrr
Interesting point about "will anyone be dining?" I too wonder if poor quality could be its downfall. Time will tell, I guess.

As for tipping, it can't hurt. I see it as more of a personal decision in these circumstances, though. While tipping has gotten largely out of control, exceptional service should be rewarded. The waitstaff probably won't be paid below minimum wage like restaurants do, but tipping a little bit might help preserve a quality service experience.

I generally tip AC bartenders and shower attendants. Not tipping at least once for a few free mixed drinks is cheap IMHO.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
What's the current status of the FL in LAX. Not completed? Is it still a makeship section of the Admirals club? Still no dining? Wondering if I should make an effort to get there early for a decent meal. I also have a layover in JFK, I'm in First on the three cabin transcon then JFK to YUL on a single class E145 all under the same ticket. I assume I'd be able to visit the JFK FL, correct? Same questions for JFK as with LAX as well.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
What's the current status of the FL in LAX. Not completed? Is it still a makeship section of the Admirals club? Still no dining? Wondering if I should make an effort to get there early for a decent meal. I also have a layover in JFK, I'm in First on the three cabin transcon then JFK to YUL on a single class E145 all under the same ticket. I assume I'd be able to visit the JFK FL, correct? Same questions for JFK as with LAX as well.
Last month (which is an eternity) it was still in the corner of the Admirals Club, with the "buffet" in a conference room.

Which is why I spent my four hour layover at the Qantas First lounge - but I don't think you would have access to it since it isn't an international long-haul.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
You will have access to the Qantas First Lounge in the Tom Bradley International Terminal as a passenger in three-class F. I would head over there, as there is a full menu and a better-stocked bar. I would make it an effort to get there early and eat if you would want to check it out, because the food is certainly decent.

At JFK, you will have FL access.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Is AA changing the name from Admirals Club to Flagship Lounges? "Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights)"....that's what it lookski's to me.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
Is AA changing the name from Admirals Club to Flagship Lounges? "Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights)"....that's what it lookski's to me.
Yes, essentially, while upgrading the overall product. ACs will remain for club members and Citi Executive cardholders not eligible for the FL.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by petey2428
American just introduced their flagship dining menu last night at some event space in NYC (check out their instagram stories). They also have a website on it. https://exploreamerican.com/flagshipfirstdining/

I don't know if this is a new website or what, but I just saw it for the first time today.
I attended this event in NYC and it was a fantastic experience. The drinks were great and prepared by AA's master barista, the wines by AA's master sommelier were great choices with perfect cheese pairings, and they served the burger that was hands down one of the best burgers I have had. Great meat quality, and the owner of the farm they selected the beef from was there to explain their quality.

If the other dishes they will serve is as good as that burger, I think it will be a hit for eligible travelers. They said that each lounge will have some drinks and dishes tailored to the region with locally sourced ingredients. For the experience, the wines were from Napa, the cheese from Upstate NY, and the beef from a farm in North Carolina (i think).

They gave us cutting boards with our names engraved in it, cookies with our pictures printed on them in icing, and a one time pass for Five Star service.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
I for one wish they would implement the expanded access incrementally in order to evaluate potential crowding issues. For example, I would like to see perhaps only J passengers provided access first, or perhaps J passengers and Platinum Pro. Then, if crowding proves not to be an issue, expand it to Platinums, and then finally Sapphires as well.

I also don't really understand the comments related to the supposed "degradation" of EXP benefits. What is AAactually taking away from us as EXP members that makes this a degradation? Are people referencing the eventual closure of the dining room in the DFW Terminal D AC once the actual Flagship Lounge opens?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by truthknown
I attended this event in NYC and it was a fantastic experience. The drinks were great and prepared by AA's master barista, the wines by AA's master sommelier were great choices with perfect cheese pairings, and they served the burger that was hands down one of the best burgers I have had. Great meat quality, and the owner of the farm they selected the beef from was there to explain their quality.

If the other dishes they will serve is as good as that burger, I think it will be a hit for eligible travelers. They said that each lounge will have some drinks and dishes tailored to the region with locally sourced ingredients. For the experience, the wines were from Napa, the cheese from Upstate NY, and the beef from a farm in North Carolina (i think).

They gave us cutting boards with our names engraved in it, cookies with our pictures printed on them in icing, and a one time pass for Five Star service.
Sounds fantastic.

Here's hoping for the "trickle down' effect, with an enhanced selection of quality wines in the FL and the AC, even for people willing to open their wallets for that enhancement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.