Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 30, 19, 6:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA (physical or virtual) Gift Cards

Be aware of AA Gift Card Restrictions Prior to Purchase
"Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their gift cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555."

"Note: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and oneworld® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. In addition if a credit card is used in conjunction with Gift Card(s), the credit card must have a United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico billing address. Gift Cards may not be used for upgrades, Admirals Club membership enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day passes, AAdvantage Award Travel or other non-flight products and/or services sold on AA.com." Link

Link to full Gift Cards Terms and Conditions

You can buy either a plastic card and have it mailed or a virtual / electronic card delivered via email. Please see below for the differences between the cards to find the right one for you. Both options allow you to send a personal message with your gift. You can use up to eight (8) Gift Cards at one time toward the purchase of a ticket to hundreds of exciting destinations throughout the world. And, with no expiration date or fees.

Though gift cards have been non-refundable, some report they can be refunded to vouchers in at least some cases.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 17, 15, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I just received a couple electronic gift cards that I would like to use right away but I can't believe in this day & age of instant everything, it will take until mid-day Tuesday for me to get the PIN numbers to use the cards. I tried calling the gift card dept but they are closed over the weekend. I know I can do a 24 hour hold (which won't help) or pay for longer hold, but trying to avoid that option. Any other ideas or suggestions??

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 22, 16 at 9:27 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Oct 27, 15, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

gift card opportunities and (minor) woes

I'm not sure how widely it's known, but you can buy near-instant-delivery electronic gift cards for AA on ebay at face value. While, at first glance, this might not seem terribly useful, it can be -- because you can often "buy" ebay money at less than full price. This week, for example, if you have a Target red card, you can use a cashback site to buy discounted Target gift cards from Cardpool (instant delivery), take those to Target.com to buy on-sale ebay gift cards (about a two-hour delay in issuance), and then use another cashback site to buy AA gift cards on ebay from Paypal Digital.

The net results of all this is the ability to buy essentially unlimited AA tickets for about 20% off with a few key strokes and a couple hours delay. In the meantime, you can put your reservation on hold at AA for ticketing.

I've encountered only one problem in buying such tickets: it is important to wait for your ticket to actually be issued (you get an actual ticket number) before using the same gift card to buy other tickets in different PNRs. The reason is that AA doesn't actually "drain" your gift card until the ticket is issued, so confusion can result if you use the same gift card to ticket a subsequent reservation. But if you avoid this glitch, the process is pretty darn painless, and worth the modest extra effort.
Old Oct 27, 15, 6:58 pm

How are American Airline Gift Cards billed/listed on a Credit Card bill?

To Those That Have Purchased AA Gift Cards:

I have a Credit Card (CC) that reimburses accumulated CC points for Airline Ticket purchases made with that CC.

I called a CSR and she stated that I just had to call in and that once they saw the charge from the airline, they would manually use my points and apply it towards the airline ticket purchase charge.

My question is: How does the charge appear on a credit card when one buys a virtual AA Gift Card directly from AA?

My main reason for doing this is to cash out the value of this unique bank card by just buying a gift card for an airline that I'm going to eventually use anyway and then close the card - I don't want to pay the annual fee that will be due in a few months as I don't use this card.

I just want to know if the charge will appear to come from American Airlines and "appear" to be a charge for an airline ticket...or will it clearly come across as a "gift card" purchase and thus I'd have a harder time getting it credited. Believe me...this bank is a stickler about EVERYTHING!

TIA
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, WN, B6 & UA (Not my fault I live near a fortress hub.)
AA processes GC sales directly and it should appear as a normal AA transaction to your CC company.
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer View Post
AA processes GC sales directly and it should appear as a normal AA transaction to your CC company.
Thank-you IAD_flyer for the quick reply!! ^

Flyertalk truly does have the most expansive and best user community on the web!
Old Oct 27, 15, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, B6 & UA (Not my fault I live near a fortress hub.)
Originally Posted by BillGattes View Post
Thank-you IAD_flyer for the quick reply!! ^

Flyertalk truly does have the most expansive and best user community on the web!
Anytime! You are welcome!
Old Oct 27, 15, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I was trying to find my last purchase but I *think* it comes over as AA MISC SALE or something like that. I am fairly certain they stuck a MISC description in the vendor name. I recall it wasn't quite the same as a normal ticket purchase.
Old Oct 27, 15, 11:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Details of answers to this question are addressed ad naseum in the AMEX thread on airline credits for certain AA expenses.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
My specific answer is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25385467-post412.html
I'd suggest reading the latest pages because at AMEX has slightly changed the reporting recently, although it has not affected reimbursement.
Old Dec 8, 15, 7:18 pm

AA Gift Card + TYP / Citi Thank You Points for 1 ticket?

Question about USING AA gift cards:

Can I use a combination of ThankYou Points with Prestige (1.6x) and AA gift cards to pay for 1 ticket?
Old Dec 8, 15, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Nope. TYP must be redeemed via citi.com whereas AA GCs can only be redeemed via AA directly.
Old Dec 8, 15, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
Nope. TYP must be redeemed via citi.com whereas AA GCs can only be redeemed via AA directly.
Thanks, so I will have to buy the ticket on Citi.com to use the Citi Prestige's ThankYou Points for purchase (at the 1.6 cpp rate)?
Old Dec 8, 15, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bluebloods View Post
Thanks, so I will have to buy the ticket on Citi.com to use the Citi Prestige's ThankYou Points for purchase (at the 1.6 cpp rate)?
Yep, on their ThankYou Rewards portal.
Old Jan 3, 16, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Gift card email

From past experiences I used to get two emails when I buy a gift card. I bought one last week and have got only a receipt email with a confirmation number. Anyone else experience this and is there anyway to get the GC without having to call?
Old Feb 22, 16, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Don't buy aa gift cards!

If you are buying an itinerary and want to ug with swu it can be ug'd immediately if you are paying with a credit card, but won't be until after the ticket is issued if paying with gift cards! What this means in practice is that if you see an ug available you may lose it in the few hours to few days it takes them to ticket.

Okay that was bad enough, but now I've discovered that if you get a refund it is issued as a PAPER voucher that must be mailed in or taken to the airport to ticket (and has an expiration date). Refunds are supposed to be issued to "the same form of payment" - so a gc that can be applied online and has no expiration is refunded in a form that cannot be used online and expires Is this even legal? Is it a DOT issue? (and yes I've verified multiple times that this cannot be overridden "because that is the only option the computer gives us"

I took a gamble when AA was in dire straits and gave them a lot of money upfront (and yes, there was a discount that enticed me), but now I don't see why anyone would ever buy these that they are still selling online (of course without mention of the items above).
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:13 pm

This is written at the bottom of the main gift card page.
https://giftcards.aa.com/

"Gift Cards may not be used for upgrades, Admirals Club memberships enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day passes, AAdvantage Award Travel or other non-flight products and/or services sold on AA.com."

And here are the terms that you link from their home page.

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp

Did you not read this before purchase?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: